Bach BWV 998 (PF&A) in 6=D and 3=F# tuning?

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
David Norton

Bach BWV 998 (PF&A) in 6=D and 3=F# tuning?

Post by David Norton » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:21 pm

All,

Many ages ago, I recall seeing a published version of the Prelude Fugue and Allegro with the tuning of 6= D (which is pretty normal for this work) AND with 3 = F# as well. Can anyone point me to an edition/publication with this tuning please? I have plenty versions in the more normal 3=G tuning.

Thanks.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

soltirefa

Re: Bach BWV 998 (PF&A) in 6=D and 3=F# tuning?

Post by soltirefa » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:54 pm

I have seen BWV 1006a with 3=f#, but never 998. I shall keep my eyes out for it. I do have an old book with the piece in Eb with 6=Eb.

Addendum : I have never liked 3=f# with the key of D major. You might get some better fingerings, but the tonic chord in the second position is an example of where 3=f# doesn't work well. If you think of strings 4-1, F# A D F# respectively, with 3=f# that A on the 3rd string is now played at the 3rd fret. If you play it with 1 then you don't have 1 to play the F# on the 1st string 2nd fret anymore. That particular configuration happens a lot in the key of D.

Altophile

Re: Bach BWV 998 (PF&A) in 6=D and 3=F# tuning?

Post by Altophile » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:52 am

Ansgar Krause likes to tune the third string to F# when arranging baroque music, so you might give his arrangement a try:

http://www.ansgarkrause.com/index_en.html

If you don't want to spend your hard-earned money until you're sure, then you can contact him and ask what tuning he uses:

info@ansgarkrause.com

You can hear a snippet of his performance of 998 here:

http://www.ansgarkrause.com/bach_samples/998_1.mp3

~Sean

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”