"Little Martha" in notation

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.

"Little Martha" in notation

Postby remmus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:57 am

My husband has been after me for years to learn this and play it for him. He's been a big Allman Brothers fan since they first began and so here I am, hat in hand, humbling asking where I might find this in notation and not TAB.

:merci:
"...it is awfully easy to become content with a level below what one is actually capable of." - Carl Peter
remmus

Re: "Little Martha" in notation

Postby Azalais » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:18 am

There seem to be a lot of Allman Bros. books published by Hal Leonard, maybe you can check the publisher's website...
(US) (FR) (ES) (IT) "... when you walk alone, you walk as you please..." Burwell Lute Tutor (c1670)
Azalais

Postby remmus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:07 pm

Thanks Azalias....but....I just don't understand why, this piece being originally written for guitar, is shoved into 2 staves and written for piano. It wouldn't be bad except the piano can go much lower than a guitar so all those notes would have to be transposed up and sometimes that's not possible depending upon what those strings might already be being used for. I just don't get it......why do they sometimes take GUITAR music and force it into piano notation and you can never find it written in guitar notation? :evil: :evil: :evil:

I went to the Hal Leonard site and it doesn't seem to even have it. I found a piano score for it from musicnotesdotcom.
"...it is awfully easy to become content with a level below what one is actually capable of." - Carl Peter
remmus

Postby PM » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:16 pm

I remember seeing that in an old issue of something like Guitar World magazine that you can find at Walmart. It ususally has mostly Rock tabs. I might even have that issue at home some where. I will look later
PM

Postby Temporary Saint » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:05 pm

Isn't this song a duet (Allman & Clapton)? You've got some arranging to do!

Steve
8{I
Endeavor to be unique. Everyone else does.
Temporary Saint

Postby Rocket88 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:24 pm

I'd be surprised if it has been published in standard notation for guitar. It's certainly not public domain. I used to play it but I don't think I transcribed it for myself. It isn't a terribly difficult piece to learn as I recall. It's played in an open tuning if I remember correctly. Start by learning the overtone chords at the end - that'll give you a clue for the tuning and go from there.

PS - Leo Kottke does a really nice version of this song.
Rocket88

Postby rrobbins » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:41 pm

PM wrote:I remember seeing that in an old issue of something like Guitar World magazine that you can find at Walmart. It ususally has mostly Rock tabs. I might even have that issue at home some where. I will look later

I remember the same magazine in the early 90s, but I am not sure if it was Guitar World. If I am not mistaken, the same issue had Blackbird, Dust in the Wind, a Bach Bouree and Jesu, Joy of Man's desiring. At the time, I was just learning guitar, so I did not work on Little Martha because of the Open Tuning. I do not have a copy of the magazine, but I will see if I can track it down.

Regards,

Rick
rrobbins

Postby remmus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:54 pm

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies! At this point I'll settle for TAB. It would be a good exercise for me to transcribe it into standard notation. I remember seeking this piece about 3 years ago and ran into a wall. I've got the piano score (written in the key of A) but it sounds very strange. Since my piano skills are now in the toilet, I plunked a few bars in Finale and when I played it back it didn't sound much like I know it to sound. I was just on Youtube last night listening to various people playing it, and I have Leo Kottke's version (which, btw, I do love!). I don't think the score I have is going to do me much good. If these people can learn it by using TAB, then so can I! :twisted: I just would rather not, but my husband has been asking me about this off and on for several years now and his birthday is coming up in a few months and I'd like to have it ready for him by then.

:merci:
remmus

Postby PM » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:01 pm

I have it here in

Summer, 1988
Collector's Yearbook
Guitar
for the practicing musician.

It is in tab and standard notation.

I see the tuning is:

E
B
E
G#
B
E

What a pain!

I will see about scanning and Email.
PM

Postby remmus » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks PM!

I guess I can tune one of my cheap, hardly ever use guitars just for that song! At least I'll have a valid excuse for keeping it :P
remmus

Return to Search for classical guitar sheet music