" -Little Martha" - in notation

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
remmus

" -Little Martha" - in notation

Postby remmus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:57 am

My husband has been after me for years to learn this and play it for him. He's been a big Allman Brothers fan since they first began and so here I am, hat in hand, humbling asking where I might find this in notation and not TAB.

:merci:
"...it is awfully easy to become content with a level below what one is actually capable of." - Carl Peter

Azalais

Re: " -Little Martha" - in notation

Postby Azalais » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:18 am

There seem to be a lot of Allman Bros. books published by Hal Leonard, maybe you can check the publisher's website...

remmus

Postby remmus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:07 pm

Thanks Azalias....but....I just don't understand why, this piece being originally written for guitar, is shoved into 2 staves and written for piano. It wouldn't be bad except the piano can go much lower than a guitar so all those notes would have to be transposed up and sometimes that's not possible depending upon what those strings might already be being used for. I just don't get it......why do they sometimes take GUITAR music and force it into piano notation and you can never find it written in guitar notation? :evil: :evil: :evil:

I went to the Hal Leonard site and it doesn't seem to even have it. I found a piano score for it from musicnotesdotcom.
"...it is awfully easy to become content with a level below what one is actually capable of." - Carl Peter

PM

Postby PM » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:16 pm

I remember seeing that in an old issue of something like Guitar World magazine that you can find at Walmart. It ususally has mostly Rock tabs. I might even have that issue at home some where. I will look later

Temporary Saint

Postby Temporary Saint » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:05 pm

Isn't this song a duet (Allman & Clapton)? You've got some arranging to do!

Steve
8{I
Endeavor to be unique. Everyone else does.

Rocket88

Postby Rocket88 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:24 pm

I'd be surprised if it has been published in standard notation for guitar. It's certainly not public domain. I used to play it but I don't think I transcribed it for myself. It isn't a terribly difficult piece to learn as I recall. It's played in an open tuning if I remember correctly. Start by learning the overtone chords at the end - that'll give you a clue for the tuning and go from there.

PS - Leo Kottke does a really nice version of this song.

rrobbins

Postby rrobbins » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:41 pm

PM wrote:I remember seeing that in an old issue of something like Guitar World magazine that you can find at Walmart. It ususally has mostly Rock tabs. I might even have that issue at home some where. I will look later

I remember the same magazine in the early 90s, but I am not sure if it was Guitar World. If I am not mistaken, the same issue had Blackbird, Dust in the Wind, a Bach Bouree and Jesu, Joy of Man's desiring. At the time, I was just learning guitar, so I did not work on Little Martha because of the Open Tuning. I do not have a copy of the magazine, but I will see if I can track it down.

Regards,

Rick

remmus

Postby remmus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:54 pm

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies! At this point I'll settle for TAB. It would be a good exercise for me to transcribe it into standard notation. I remember seeking this piece about 3 years ago and ran into a wall. I've got the piano score (written in the key of A) but it sounds very strange. Since my piano skills are now in the toilet, I plunked a few bars in Finale and when I played it back it didn't sound much like I know it to sound. I was just on Youtube last night listening to various people playing it, and I have Leo Kottke's version (which, btw, I do love!). I don't think the score I have is going to do me much good. If these people can learn it by using TAB, then so can I! :twisted: I just would rather not, but my husband has been asking me about this off and on for several years now and his birthday is coming up in a few months and I'd like to have it ready for him by then.

:merci:

PM

Postby PM » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:01 pm

I have it here in

Summer, 1988
Collector's Yearbook
Guitar
for the practicing musician.

It is in tab and standard notation.

I see the tuning is:

E
B
E
G#
B
E

What a pain!

I will see about scanning and Email.

remmus

Postby remmus » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:51 pm

Thanks PM!

I guess I can tune one of my cheap, hardly ever use guitars just for that song! At least I'll have a valid excuse for keeping it :P

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”