PUBLIC DOMAIN (definitions)

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Re: PUBLIC DOMAIN (definitions)

Post by GeoffB » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:33 pm

It's not my specialty, I'm afraid, and I'm not qualified to give a view on it. If copyright is claimed, we would accept it. Generally we have to err on the side of caution, since the forum cannot afford to retain a team of lawyers to argue the case if it should arise.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

aguitarist

Post by aguitarist » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:10 pm

Dear Geoff,

Thank you for the efforts. It can indeed be a complex matter. In any case, let's use common sense and act in a good faith.

Alex

Danny Dishon

Post by Danny Dishon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Hello,

Using the example from M. Delcamp regarding LLobet who died in 1938 and whose works could be recorded and posted as of January 1, 2008, the works of Julio Sagreras who died in 1942 can be recorded and posted staring January 1, 2012.

Correct????

Danny Dishon

Post by Danny Dishon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:50 pm

Hello again,

I just noticed the following post by M. Delcamp:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=49798#p572200

This indicates that Chanterelle has relaxed copyright protection of the posting of recordings of their published material. So, this relates to my question regarding to posting recordings of Julio Sagreras. I have the two volume book of Lessons by Sagreras which is published by Chanterelle and would like to post my recording of some of those. However, I believe that I still need to wait for the heirs rights to expire in 2012, correct?

Thanks for any elucidation,
-Danny

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi Danny,

Chanterelle are authorized to give you permission for pieces they have published, so you can go ahead and post your recordings.

However, please note the conditions set out in the Chanterelle paragraph in section IIIa of the rules here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=49798#p537327
The publishers Chanterelle authorise all forum members to publish recordings of pieces from their editions on the forum. This applies only to music published by Chanterelle, in their edition, and not to music they distribute for other publishers. Furthermore, the permission applies only to recordings uploaded directly to the forum, as MP3, WMV or MOV attachments, and not to Youtube files. The source publication should be quoted with any recording.
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Danny Dishon

Post by Danny Dishon » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:09 am

Thanks Geoff. I will get that recorder going!

AlexRaven

Post by AlexRaven » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:36 am

I don't understand your position quite clearly. For example, if I take sheet music file from *** Site blocked for copyright reasons ***.com, can I post it on your forum? Also, I have many sources obtained with a help of torrents and and sometimes I really don't know nothing about publisher copyrights. As a example, can Kappel transcription of Bach Partita 6 be posted on this forum?

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:14 am

I can understand why it's difficult for you, Alex. :wink:

If you read the first two posts in this thread closely, you might find some answers to your questions. For example, you cannot post an arrangement if the arranger has not been dead for 70 years - even if the composer has.

We all know that there are many sites that share copyrighted material, but that's usually illegal. We use French copyright laws here (Mr. Delcamp is in France), and they are some of the strictest in the world.

If you ever have any questions about a particular piece, simply send a personal message to one of the moderators and we'll answer as best we can. :D

Thanks for asking!

Alan

AlexRaven

Post by AlexRaven » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:58 am

I understand your point of view. But this issue is not that simple. Take as example Barrios works. I saw in this forum some posts which states that Barrios's pieces are now in public domain. But in well-known to you sheet music site (which you marked in post with * ) only one third of Barrios pieces are free and others you can only buy. So how about editors copyrights? And many Barrrios pieces that I have contains remark "revised by". Is revisers also has copyrights? In short, can I post Barrios pieces on your forum and if not, what is correct reasoning for refuse? So may be you think about these matters and try to understand that your simple rules doesn't count for all nuances of situation.

mr.bluehorse

Post by mr.bluehorse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:01 pm

This is a very helpful discussion, one which I will refer to again and again. Thanks to all --

Mike

jonathan

Post by jonathan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:05 am

Franciso Calleja died in 1950 and Marco Estanislao 1954 Their works have recently been compiled and reintroduced to the market. Will these newly republished works have a bearing on the Public Domain laws regarding these two Artist?

Jonathan

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Marco Estanislao was born in Spain, so his work is copyrighted until 70 years after his death anyway, rounded up, namely until 2025. Franciso Calleja was born in Uruguay, so his works (at least in his own country) were copyrighted until 50 years after his death. Different countries have different copyright lengths, though we generally stick to the 70 year rule here to be safe.

If a publisher brings out an edition of works that are in the public domain, they own the copyright to that edition. So you can play the pieces in public if you've used a public domain source for the scores, but if you use the new edition you are subject to the publisher's copyright.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Nick Payne
Amateur luthier

Post by Nick Payne » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:30 pm

There is an interesting paper on copyfraud (falsely claiming copyright in public domain works) here: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm? ... _id=787244

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”