broadway music and guitar

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.

broadway music and guitar

Postby melodyky » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:18 am

Hi everyone,

i am a super fans of broadway musical such as phantom of the opera, grease, my fair lady, chicago...etc..
and i just wonder if there is any scores or tabs about these musical that i can search online?
melodyky

Re: broadway music and guitar

Postby wolfgang » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:44 am

Hi melodiky!

Most of these scores or tabs will most likely be still protected by copyright; links to websites, which don't respect copyright, will not be allowed here.

I don't know if there are any transcriptions you could purchase? Do you have anything particular in your mind?

best wishes
Wolfgang

PS: I have moved your post over to "search of sheet music"
The piano keys are black and white,
But they sound like a million colours in your mind. (Katie Melua)
wolfgang

Postby Aryeh » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:08 am

melodyky wrote:Hi everyone,

i am a super fans of broadway musical such as phantom of the opera, grease, my fair lady, chicago...etc..
and i just wonder if there is any scores or tabs about these musical that i can search online?

There's a nice book called "Andrew Lloyd Webber - The Classical Guitar Collection" published by Hal Leonard that has all the famous songs from Phantom of The Opera, Memory from Cats, Don't Cry For Me Argentina from Evita, etc..

Noriyasu Takeuchi has 7 book vol.'s called "Popular Pieces For Solo Guitar" which have a lot of songs from musicals in them as well.

They're available at SpanishGuitar.com

Aryeh
Aryeh

Postby melodyky » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:39 am

Aryeh wrote:

There's a nice book called "Andrew Lloyd Webber - The Classical Guitar Collection" published by Hal Leonard that has all the famous songs from Phantom of The Opera, Memory from Cats, Don't Cry For Me Argentina from Evita, etc..

Noriyasu Takeuchi has 7 book vol.'s called "Popular Pieces For Solo Guitar" which have a lot of songs from musicals in them as well.

They're available at SpanishGuitar.com

Aryeh

thanks for your help
melodyky

Postby mparton » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:22 pm

There is a book of arrangements by Jerry Silverman ("Broadway for Guitar") that may still be available; this site lists some details of it:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Broadway-for-Guitar/Jerry-Silverman/e/9780769265841/?itm=8

Somewhat earlier, in the 1980's I think, a book of Broadway arrangements by Laurindo Almeida was published. Its name is "Broadway Solo Guitar" but my source (the Helsinki area public library system) does not give much more info on it. If you have access to libraries with sheet music, you may wish to check if they have it.

Matti P.
mparton

Postby mparton » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:56 pm

mparton wrote:....
Somewhat earlier, in the 1980's I think, a book of Broadway arrangements by Laurindo Almeida was published. Its name is "Broadway Solo Guitar" but my source (the Helsinki area public library system) does not give much more info on it. If you have access to libraries with sheet music, you may wish to check if they have it.

Matti P.

Here is more info on the Almeida book, in case someone is interested.

The title is "Broadway Solo Guitar", author Laurindo Almeida, publisher The Big 3 Music Corporation, New York, N.Y. There is no ISBN that I can find, and also no publication year, just this notice "Book Design copyright 1981".

The book contains Almeida's rather excellent arrangements of the following pieces:

"People", by Jule Styne (from "Funny Girl);
"My Funny Valentine", by Richard Rodgers ("Babes in Arms");
"As Long As He Needs Me", by Lionel Bart ("Oliver!");
"I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face", by Frederick Loewe ("My Fair Lady");
"Is It Really Me?", by Harvey Schmidt ("110 In The Shade");
"Smoke Gets In Your Eyes", by Jerome Kern ("Roberta");
"Little Girl Blue", by Richard Rodgers ("Jumbo");
"What Kind Of Fool Am I?", by Bricusse/Newley ("Stop The World – I Want To Get Off")
"Was She Prettier Than I?", by Martin/Gray ("High Spirits");
"The Sound Of Music", by Richard Rodgers ("The Sound Of Music");
"The Most Beautiful Girl In The World", by Richard Rodgers ("Jumbo").

To each piece there are Almeida's notes about the arrangement, performance hints and how to tackle the most difficult parts.

Most arrangements are 4 to 6 pages long.

Matti P.
mparton

Postby melodyky » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:14 am

mparton wrote:
mparton wrote:....

Matti P.

Here is more info on the Almeida book, in case someone is interested.

The title is "Broadway Solo Guitar", author Laurindo Almeida, publisher The Big 3 Music Corporation, New York, N.Y. There is no ISBN that I can find, and also no publication year, just this notice "Book Design copyright 1981".

The book contains Almeida's rather excellent arrangements of the following pieces:

"People", by Jule Styne (from "Funny Girl);
"My Funny Valentine", by Richard Rodgers ("Babes in Arms");
"As Long As He Needs Me", by Lionel Bart ("Oliver!");
"I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face", by Frederick Loewe ("My Fair Lady");
"Is It Really Me?", by Harvey Schmidt ("110 In The Shade");
"Smoke Gets In Your Eyes", by Jerome Kern ("Roberta");
"Little Girl Blue", by Richard Rodgers ("Jumbo");
"What Kind Of Fool Am I?", by Bricusse/Newley ("Stop The World – I Want To Get Off")
"Was She Prettier Than I?", by Martin/Gray ("High Spirits");
"The Sound Of Music", by Richard Rodgers ("The Sound Of Music");
"The Most Beautiful Girl In The World", by Richard Rodgers ("Jumbo").

To each piece there are Almeida's notes about the arrangement, performance hints and how to tackle the most difficult parts.

Most arrangements are 4 to 6 pages long.

Matti P.

great, thanks for telling me this book. :merci:
melodyky

Return to Search for classical guitar sheet music