searching for Rodriguez Arenas Method Book

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.

searching for Rodriguez Arenas Method Book

Postby ralphd » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:00 pm

When I first began my study of classical guitar in the early 1970's, I used a method book published by Ricordi Americana from Buenos Aires. The book is entitled La Escuela De La Guitarra. It is a wonderful compilation by Rodriqez Arenas and contains many lessons and exercises by Aguado, Coste, Cano as well as a number of Tarrega and SOR arrangements.

I still use many of the pieces as part of a warm up routine but alas, my poor book is war weary from many years of page, turns, marking, even a coffee spill or two.

Has anyone seen or heard of this book and know if there is a current publication available.

Many thanks
Ralph D
ralphd

Re: searching for Rodriguez Arenas Method Book

Postby owl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:23 am

Ralph, you might get a better response if you post this question in Public Space
You are really requesting a book here, and lots of members who don't visit this area might just pick up your request elsewhere
Of course, they might not either but it's worth a shot :roll:

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.
owl

Postby ralphd » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:27 pm

Thank you for the suggestion, I will see if I can get a better response by posting in the public section.
cheers,
Ralph
ralphd

Postby pogmoor » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:21 pm

ralphd wrote:I will see if I can get a better response by posting in the public section.

I've removed your other post as you can't post in two places, but if you prefer I could move the thread to Public Space
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
pogmoor

Postby owl » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:51 am

pogmoor wrote:
ralphd wrote:I will see if I can get a better response by posting in the public section.

I've removed your other post as you can't post in two places, but if you prefer I could move the thread to Public Space

Ralph, say YES!!! :roll:

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.
owl

Postby avoz » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:14 pm

Try guitarnotes.co.uk - the had (have?) the Mario Rodriguez-Arenas 'Method' Volumes 1-3; Vol. 4: 27 - Advanced Studies; Vol. 5: Studies & Preludes; Vol. 6: - Superior Technique and Vol. 7: Scales in various forms. Messrs. Ricordi Americana (Buenos Aires) published several works by him along with many hundreds of pieces from branches in Italy, Argentina, Brazil etc. in what was the largest catalogue of guitar music available in the UK circa 1960 but after appointing Messrs. Novello as sole agent they closed their London branch and their productions gradually disappeared - a huge loss.
avoz

Postby ralphd » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:22 pm

Thank you, I will check with the source you recommend. I would agree that the loss of this publication entity is huge. The compilation I have which is quite worn through is one that I treasure. I have never seen such a comprehensive method book that includes the diversity of composers and simple to progressively more difficult and beautiful pieces. I wanted a duplicate so I could retire my nearly 40 year old volume.
thank you.

And Owl, please forgive my failure to respond to your note. I appreciate the advice and action taken

Ralph D
ralphd

Postby Luis_Br » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:34 pm

This method is very common here in South America.
It looks like the Carulli method, with more exercises and a lot of selected pieces. It is some sort of romantic methods compilation, include a nice selection of pieces by several composers (Aguado, Coste, Sor, Carulli, Cano, Tarrega etc.) .
The fingerings have a romantic Tarrega-like approach with several portamentos on Sor pieces, for example, which may sound out-of-style to a modern ear. Despite of this detail, I like a lot those books.

Here in Brazil I can buy on several online music stores:
http://www.ricordi.com.br
http://www.freenote.com.br
http://www.livrariamusimed.com.br

These websites are in Portuguese and I don't know if they sell overseas, but I guess musimed does it. On their mein page there is a link to foreign customers. Try emailing them.

cheers,
Luis
Luis_Br

Postby avoz » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:41 pm

Luis, Thanks - it was good to see Ricordi still providing many items by Isaias Savio, F. Mignone, T. Nogueira, P. Barreiros et al.
avoz

Return to Search for classical guitar sheet music