Una Limosna Barrios Editions

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.

Una Limosna Barrios Editions

Postby cowmastermoo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:57 am

i currently started el ultimo tremolo or whatever the heck it's called with my teacher.
he wants me using the jesus edition.
I took a quick look at stover's copy and the fingerings seem so much easier for me.
which is the most original? i heard jesus arranged barrios pieces after stover so im not sure.
i just dont understand how jesus' fingerings are any better. maybe a couple here and there but for the most part ive seen the arrangements and to my preferences they are terrible.
cowmastermoo

Re: Una Limosna Barrios Editions

Postby Vlad Kosulin » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:43 am

Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios (El ultimo tremolo).

You should ask your teacher why he wants you to use Benites. Nobody here can read his mind :)

P.S. I am not sure the term "most original" is appropriate for transcriptions of Mangore works. Not only there are no known facsimiles or editions authored by Barrios for most of his works, but if there was more than 1 Barrios recording found, then they would most likely differ in some or other way. Barrios was considered one of the best improvisers of his time.
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)
Vlad Kosulin

Postby cowmastermoo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:19 am

Vlad Kosulin wrote:Una Limosna por el Amor de Dios (El ultimo tremolo).

You should ask your teacher why he wants you to use Benites. Nobody here can read his mind :)

P.S. I am not sure the term "most original" is appropriate for transcriptions of Mangore works. Not only there are no known facsimiles or editions authored by Barrios for most of his works, but if there was more than 1 Barrios recording found, then they would most likely differ in some or other way. Barrios was considered one of the best improvisers of his time.

my teacher thinks the trebles sound week because of the open string tremolos and also couple open string basses but he doesnt mind me using stovers edition. i was just wondering which has the most of barrios notes correctly. i also heard barrios changed up many of his performances in his pieces. i even heard that he would change interpretations a lot. thats pretty amazing
Last edited by cowmastermoo on Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cowmastermoo

Postby Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:25 am

For what it's worth - I have a copy of a very late (July 1944) Barrios MS which indicates the use of open strings for parts of the tremolo.
Una Limosna ms. 7-8.png

Authenticity? I don't recall where I picked it up from (it's just in a box with a bunch of other Barrios stuff) and I'm no expert on calligraphy but the handwriting, quirks of notation and signature seem to match his other MSS.

Even assuming that this MS is authentic that doesn't alter the fact that your teacher knows your playing intimately and might simply be observing that your open strings in particular are weak (though I would see that as an occasion for you to find out why and work on it).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Log on to the forum and post a few messages to get permission to view these files.
Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Postby cowmastermoo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:13 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:For what it's worth - I have a copy of a very late (July 1944) Barrios MS which indicates the use of open strings for parts of the tremolo.
Una Limosna ms. 7-8.png

Authenticity? I don't recall where I picked it up from (it's just in a box with a bunch of other Barrios stuff) and I'm no expert on calligraphy but the handwriting, quirks of notation and signature seem to match his other MSS.

Even assuming that this MS is authentic that doesn't alter the fact that your teacher knows your playing intimately and might simply be observing that your open strings in particular are weak (though I would see that as an occasion for you to find out why and work on it).

thanks. i texted my teacher yesterday and he wants the trebles to sing more than the bass so he doesnt like me using open string tremolo.
and yes my open string tremolo is a bit weaker but not significantly.
we've worked on recuerdos and campanas so my tremolo has been getting better over the years.
right now im just using fingerings from a couple passages from stovers but im sticking with jesus.
and do you think you can send me the whole copy of the sheet music? it does seem a lot like his writing compared to his original score of julia florida.
cowmastermoo

Return to Search for classical guitar sheet music