Did Leonardo Da Vinci compose music for. . .Lute?

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.

Did Leonardo Da Vinci compose music for. . .Lute?

Postby kefka » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:14 pm

. . . And if so how come i haven't come across any recordings?

With the exception of this extremely short phraze, i wouldnt really call it a composition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BxwsKtRdFs

Did Da Vinci compose music for any other instrumets? He was known to have been a "Renaissance" man, so i assume he wrote a tune or two or . . .Perhaps like all things from that old era, his scores were lost or tossed.
No one Knows death and no one knows if it is the greatest gift of all for mankind -(Socrates)
All we have in life are choices -(M. Ghandi)
kefka

Re: Did Leonardo Da Vinci compose music for. . .Lute?

Postby sesto » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:03 pm

he was a musician, played lyre and designed some instruments. I don't know if he was a composer too.
sesto

Postby Frank Nordberg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:11 pm

I have to check this but if I remember correctly, he was actually first employed as a musician not as an artist. As a professional musician he would almost certainly have composed music but as far as I know, the fragment kefka mentioned is the only surviving piece of music by him.

I also seem to remember that Leonardo once said that he preferred the newly "Spanish lute" (that is the vihuela da mano) to the traditional one. Not sure where I got that from and I may be wrong.
If you haven't got an ego that is bigger than the world, forget it and let the music speak! (Pepe Romero)
Frank Nordberg

Postby pogmoor » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:14 pm

The only connection between Leonardo and the lute cited by Douglas Alton Smith in his authoritative History of the Lute from Antiquity to the Renaissance is that one of the commonest designs for the lute rosette was known as the "knot of Leonardo" because it is reminiscent of patterns drawn by da Vinci (pp 87-8).
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
pogmoor

Postby ItalicaFamosa » Thu May 16, 2013 1:20 am

He did compose...but none of his music survives.
ItalicaFamosa

Postby fabricatore » Thu May 16, 2013 3:57 am

According to Nicholl, music was one of the accomplishments of the boy Leonardo. He went to Milan in 1842 (not a boy) not as a painter, but as a musician. He played the 'lira da braccio' 2 drone-strings open and plucked (the lira part of the instrument) and 5 melody strings played with a bow and fingerboard. And it is known that Verrocchio had a lute so, it is possible. He might at least have composed both, music for lute and lira da braccio.
No compositions remain, only phrases from the riddles (pictorial, musical and verbal symbols) he invented (half a dozen in the Windsor Collection). Here a melody by Leonardo DGAEFDE AGEFG.
And not part of your question but, in 1493 Isabela d'Este commissioned Leonardo the instrument-maker to make her a guitar "with as many strings as he liked".
fabricatore

Return to Search for classical guitar sheet music