Carcassi's & - Giuliani's versions of Mozart's Magic Flute

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
David Norton

Carcassi's & - Giuliani's versions of Mozart's Magic Flute

Post by David Norton » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:25 pm

While I was looking around the Boije collection today, I found these interesting little ditties:

Carcassi:
http://biblioteket.statensmusikverk.se/ ... %20624.pdf

Giuliani:
http://biblioteket.statensmusikverk.se/ ... %20186.pdf

Clearly the same general thematic material as Sor Op. 9, but very different treatments of it.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

SeanWinkler

Re: Carcassi's & - Giuliani's versions of Mozart's Magic Flute

Post by SeanWinkler » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:43 pm

David_Norton wrote:While I was looking around the Boije collection today, I found these interesting little ditties:

Carcassi:
http://biblioteket.statensmusikverk.se/ ... %20624.pdf

Giuliani:
http://biblioteket.statensmusikverk.se/ ... %20186.pdf

Clearly the same general thematic material as Sor Op. 9, but very different treatments of it.
The Carcassi was published in the Mel Bay collection titled "Great Themes and Variations for Classic Guitar," which by the way is a great compilation in my opinion (it also includes my favorite guitar treatment of the Bach Chaconne). I have played it off and on over the years, though I haven't ever seriously worked on it. It's definitely worth some attention, though. As you said, a very different treatment than the more well-known Sor op. 9, but charming in its own right. I'm pretty sure there is a set of variations on this theme by Carulli as well, but I can't remember the details.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:44 pm

The Giuliani arrangement, Boije 186, is in a no-opus collection of 'Three favorite themes of Mdm Catalani'. It isn't quite the same as Sor's theme. Sor used the Monostatos and slaves chorus, 'Das klinget'. Giuliani is using the glockenspiel theme that starts 8 measures earlier. Carcassi's is the same as Sor's.

The links are out of date, but once you get to the Boije catalog it's easy to find these pieces.

On the tube I'm finding a Carulli arrangement for guitar and piano of Beethoven's 'Twelve Variations on “Ein Mädchen” from Mozart’s Magic Flute, Op.66' (cello and piano).

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:28 pm

If I remember correctly Carcassi is referring to the 'Les Mysteres d'Isis' rather than the original Magic Flute opera, the theme is of course the same.
(Gr) (En) (very little Fr)

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:53 pm

Our previous discussion of this viewtopic.php?f=130&t=80387

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:18 pm

The links to the Boije files in the first post no longer work. Is anyone able to locate the up to date links?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

sxedio

Post by sxedio » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:38 pm

hpaulj

Post by hpaulj » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:13 pm

Same Boije numbers and table of contents, just a different link to the collection.

Return to “Search for classical guitar sheet music”