Anyone else have some hearing loss?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...

Anyone else have some hearing loss?

Postby segoviajr07 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:07 am

Just wondering...if there are any of you folks out there who play CG and have some hearing loss. Mine is pretty bad, but I been doing ok with it...shot in the dark, I know, but figured, this was a big audience to ask!
segoviajr07

Re: Anyone else have some hearing loss?

Postby Azalais » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:45 am

There have been some very interesting discussions of this subject in the past... Perhaps you can find them using the forum search function (try using the keyword "tinnitus" as well, because I think that subject may also have been discussed in the same threads.)
(US) (FR) (ES) (IT) "... when you walk alone, you walk as you please..." Burwell Lute Tutor (c1670)
Azalais

Postby AsturiasFan » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:40 am

Hi segoviajr07

I'm sorry, but could you repeat that please. No! Slowly!!

I have hearing loss as do my brother and mother. We have a hereditary condition where the nerves can slowly deteriorate. I can't hear the alarm clock with my left ear. I play jokes on my brother by mouthing but not speaking words. It takes him a few seconds to realize his hearing aids are still working. I have a hearing aid that isn't visible because it fits into the ear canal. I quit wearing it because it needed to have the moisture removed every other day. I probably should try again because a hearing aid, in my case, can keep the nerve alive. Because my right ear is ok, I don't have any problems with the guitar.

Hearing aids are becoming pretty advance now. If a noise is too loud they can actually cut the volume down to a safe level before it reaches the ear drum. For this reason it might be that any musician playing very loud music should consider an investment in advanced hearing aids even if they don't yet have a hearing loss. Maybe one of the Delcamp doctors could comment on this idea.

If you can afford it, do some research on hearing aids. They can make a difference.
You say picado, I say picato, but my terrier insists on piccata sauce.
AsturiasFan

Postby cutnstuf » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:38 am

My hearing loss is self inflicted...played in rock bands from the mid 60's to the early 70's.

Cut
cutnstuf

Postby e2k » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:48 am

I had perfect hearing, but after one year in the army it got a little worse.. I guess all those explosions DID make a difference.. :chaud:
It's not that bad at all though, I hear very well except on some frequencies!
e2k

Postby segoviajr07 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:53 am

Thanks for your responses. My story is a bit different. I lost a lot of my hearing due to either a reaction to antibiotics or a viral infection, no one is sure. It is nerve deafness and I wore an analog hearing aid from age 15 to about 40, in one ear, though I have a severe loss in both. After that I went digital. I do really well with it, in fact, during that period I made my NY Debut and did a few tours around the Far East, etc. I was a contestant in Guitar 84 (Toronto), Scott Tenant won...

I went on to a fairly nice career in New England, playing around and teaching at Northeastern U, where I started the guitar program. I quit guitar for a while and learned IT. I currently work at the National Institutes in Health as a computer dude. Along the way I got fluent in American Sign Language and have lots of deaf pals. About 3 years ago, I started to play again for fun...oh I have 2 kids as well, so it is a busy life.

I now have digital hearing aid(s), but hate wearing the one in my left ear. The guitar sounds wonderful to me with the music program on my right ear, the left one is just too much.

Glad to hear from some of you others! This is quite a collection of guitarists!!!

You can see me http://www.charlesmokotoff.com on the web if you are interested....
Charles
segoviajr07

Postby cn90 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:23 pm

segoviajr07 wrote:I lost a lot of my hearing due to either a reaction to antibiotics or a viral infection, no one is sure. It is nerve deafness and I wore an analog hearing aid from age 15 to about 40, in one ear, though I have a severe loss in both. After that I went digital. I do really well with it, in fact, during that period I made my NY Debut and did a few tours around the Far East, etc. I was a contestant in Guitar 84 (Toronto), Scott Tenant won...

I started to play again for fun...oh I have 2 kids as well, so it is a busy life.

I now have digital hearing aid(s), but hate wearing the one in my left ear. The guitar sounds wonderful to me with the music program on my right ear, the left one is just too much.

Glad to hear from some of you others! This is quite a collection of guitarists!!!

You can see me http://www.charlesmokotoff.com on the web if you are interested....
Charles

Dear Charles,

Sorry to hear your story, what a loss. I am a physician and suspect the cause of your hearing loss was gentamicin, an antibiotic known to cause hearing damage. But after hearing your rendering of Albeniz's Sevilla, it is better than Scott Tennant. I like Tennant's playing as well but I think the sound clips on your website are outstanding and warmer so:

You mentioned "I started to play again for fun..." This is NOT true, you are playing professionally. Amazing!

As you know, John Williams dislike guitar competition. Is a competition win a prerequisite to a successful performing career? The world's foremost classical guitarist, John Williams, has not won a single guitar competition! Quote from JW's interview:

"I believe that festivals are very good for the guitar and guitarists. When we get together we always have a great time. We like each other, we admire each other, and we're not jealous of each other, because we have different personalities and styles. Festivals also allow us to find each other and learn about new projects, thanks to the atmosphere they create." But as for contests, Williams is not so sure, because personally, he said, he's not in favour of competition. "You can't judge a musician like they do in the Olympics. I think that the qualities we listen to when someone plays or sings can't be measured." But he did recognise that contests can be exciting, and maybe he could accept them if there were three or four recognitions on the same level. On principle, he never serves on a contest jury."

I guess you can skip the hearing aid in the (L) ear and just simply use your 'normal' (R) ear. After all, your music is appreciated by the audience and their applause! Beethoven composed the best symphony when he was completely deaf....

If you would like to give a concert in Omaha NE, I can make some arrangement here for you!
Last edited by cn90 on Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1981 Ramirez 1A 664-mm
2001 GV Rubio Solista 650-mm
cn90

Postby segoviajr07 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:24 pm

Thanks for your really nice reply, it is very much appreciated. I always thought my loss was from an antibiotic called Erythromycin, from Abbot Labs...is this similar to the drug you mention? Very curious...

Sure, I would LOVE to play in Omaha, please contact me off list if you think we could make this happen! You can send me an email via the website.

Best...Charles
segoviajr07

Postby cn90 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:36 pm

Dear Charles,

Erythromycin can cause hearing loss (the medical term is "Ototoxicity") but it is usually reversible, i.e., when the antibiotic is stopped, the hearing loss reverses.

Just Google using different combinations of the following terms:
"antibiotic"
"sensorineural loss"
"erythromycin"
"gentamicin"
"ototoxicity"

Zane Forshee (from Peabody) just gave a CG solo concert here in April at our beautiful Creighton Univ. Lied Center for Performing Arts. Very well received. People loved his playing.

I will make arrangement for you to come here for a concert!
1981 Ramirez 1A 664-mm
2001 GV Rubio Solista 650-mm
cn90

Postby Alan Green » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:57 pm

Yeah, I've got some noise damage around the 4kz range - too many years at metal concerts with my head in the PA bins. It doesn't bother me much, unless I'm awake at 3 in the morning and then I can hear it ringing.

Alan
Alan Green

Postby Joe de V » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:26 pm

Yes I suffer from hearing loss ( I am now 77) but it has not deter me from playing with the help of state-of-the-Art
hearing equipment. I do not need it when I am alone playing and practicing but I use it when I am with a larger music group. You should have your hearing check by a professional just to confirm the severity of your hearing loss and recommend the proper action/aide.
Joe de V

Postby Nick Payne » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:37 am

I have tinnitus from work-related machine noise (jackhammers, earthmoving plant, power woodworking tools, etc) when I was young (I'm now 56). If I wake in the middle of the night I can notice the ringing in my ears, but don't normally notice it during the day unless I am in a very quiet location. I haven't noticed any problems hearing conversations or music adequately, but noticed recently when I was out birdwatching with some friends on a windless day that they could all hear some sheep bells off in the distance that I couldn't hear at all.
Nick Payne
Amateur luthier

Postby JQ. » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:15 am

My little brother has gone deaf due to Meniere's Disease. :(

On the other hand, my hearing is incredibly acute. From the second floor, I can hear a cat walking on the grass between the houses if the window is open.

But I suppose everything is a trade-off. My sense of smell is so bad I can't even tell if there's a gas leak. :chaud:
JQ.

Postby segoviajr07 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:50 am

jrldev wrote:Yes I suffer from hearing loss ( I am now 77) but it has not deter me from playing with the help of state-of-the-Art
hearing equipment. I do not need it when I am alone playing and practicing but I use it when I am with a larger music group. You should have your hearing check by a professional just to confirm the severity of your hearing loss and recommend the proper action/aide.

Oh, I wear aids, mine is really pretty severe, dunno why I went on as a pro guitarist in my salad days...I don't have too much trouble with music, just conversation.
segoviajr07

Postby milanlondon » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:00 am

Hello, i have tinnitus that at times can be quite debilitating. But I can assure you that I find playing the guitar very therapeutic. Because we feel the instrument and the music with all our body and mind, not just our ears.
All the very best
milanlondon

Next

Return to Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists