Anyone else have some hearing loss?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Re: Anyone else have some hearing loss?

Postby Vito Simplicio » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:52 pm

Olarte wrote:The problem is that the bones that need to vibrate are "stuck" stuck together.

I have the same problem in my right ear! I, of course, can't hear well in that ear but at the time it was diagnosed a couple of years ago the doctor didn't say anything about having surgery. Well I will have to see how it goes with you. Do you mind being my guinea pig? :wink:
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Olarte

Postby Olarte » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:25 pm

Simplicio wrote:
Olarte wrote:The problem is that the bones that need to vibrate are "stuck" stuck together.

I have the same problem in my right ear! I, of course, can't hear well in that ear but at the time it was diagnosed a couple of years ago the doctor didn't say anything about having surgery. Well I will have to see how it goes with you. Do you mind being my guinea pig? :wink:

Squeak, squeak... sure thing Vito, I'll be sure to update this thread as the treatment progresses.

Hey since you have a bad right ear, and I my left. we should do a duet and sound like one :lol:
Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
The Journey is the reward...

2007 - Antonio Loriente "Clarita" Cedar Top\Indian Rosewood - Ergoplay Troster, Hiscox Liteflite Pro II case

Olarte

Postby Olarte » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:28 pm

Kampret wrote:Olarte

I agree with Alan, good luck with it.

Might have to see what can be done about my right ear, I'm effectively deaf in it, combined with tinnitus that causes varying degrees of annoyance. Will have to find a different ENT person though, the last one was too conceited & left me wondering why I'd bothered to see him at all. And his charging, reminded me of the proverbial wounded bull.

Anyway, I hope everything goes well & look forwarded to hearing about it (EDIT: pun unintended).

Kampret

Yes it's funny about getting the right doctor (not unlike a CG teacher :wink: ) The guy I went to looked like he is 80 years old, very nice man, quite sure of himself, but very kind and gentle with his touch.... as mentioned I felt like I regressed to being a 10 year old inside, but I felt very safe in his care.

Needless to say I'm incredibly excited about the possibility of getting most of my hearing restored either way, although I prefer a permanent natural solution than a hearing aid.
Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
The Journey is the reward...

2007 - Antonio Loriente "Clarita" Cedar Top\Indian Rosewood - Ergoplay Troster, Hiscox Liteflite Pro II case

Vito Simplicio
Composer & Moderator
Composer & Moderator

Postby Vito Simplicio » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:35 pm

Olarte wrote:Hey since you have a bad right ear, and I my left. we should do a duet and sound like one :lol:

Well at least to each other.
( vitO )===:::

Oberg (2008)
Takamine C136S (1977)

Classical Guitar Forum

Dragonbones

Postby Dragonbones » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:44 am

I've had a bit of hearing loss over the years, and I suspect that part of it is due to riding a motorcycle. Those things (and traffic) are loud. I now use earplugs when riding, and favor more thickly padded full-face helmets like my Arai Signet 3X. I'd strongly recommend others use earplugs too, when mowing the lawn, operating drills, or riding motorcycles (or anything else loud and sustained).
Pleasure is spread through the earth In stray gifts to be claimed by whoever shall find. —William Wordsworth

2008 Sergio Huerta concierto,
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Non Tabius

Postby Non Tabius » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:17 am

Ive have just come off a spell of measels at this ripe old age.So I laid off music totally for about 3 weeks.I also have tinitas .What I experienced was that my hearing loss on the left ear which is always bad ,improved by at least 20% because off the break from music.I am on pension aged 57 and sometimes lay it on a bit thick by playing 8 hrs a day and try to play every piece of cg music ever written.Almost like a woodworm trying to chew a brick sometimes.
What this suggests to me is that its not only the volume but also the concentration that labours aural capabilities.
I played a spell with a live band about 2 months back on electric and found that my hearing was shot to the point that I could not have descent conversation after the gig ,for at least 2 weeks after that.I must say the guys didnt play loud as a 4 piece but nevertheless my ears went.So have come to the conviction that even my cg practices will also have to be balanced out where I must effectively expose my ears to music with quality practicing in a prioritised daily time frame.In my case having to much time to practice could be counter productive as far as my hearing gose.
I say this because I remember from my session days that the engineers used to take a few rest from recording and mastering to rest the ears.I cant see why cg should be all that different.Taking indervidual circumstances into account
is also relavant here, understandably.

marquezdl

Postby marquezdl » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:57 pm

I though I would take a moment to post on this thread. I am 61 and hearing loss seems to run in my mothers family concurrent with advancing age. Also, as a foolish young man I did lots of rather hearing hostile things.....motorcycles, playing in a rock band, listening to R&R and R&B at crazy volume levels, etc. The hearing loss crept up on me gradually. I did not know that water hand stopped trickling, wind sighing, paper crinkling, and birds and crickets singing!
Then quite suddenly I developed rather severe tinnitus. I almost jumped out the window of my hotel (several floors up) the first night of it!
My hearing is perfectly normal up to about 2khz, then it drops like a rock and I am almost totally deaf above 3.5 kHz. I use phonak digital hearing aids and they are very good, but they fall FAR short of my original normal hearing

Now I am very protective of my hearing and CG has been very good for it. I often practice sans hearing aids and through experimentation I have discovered that the tone I produce is the same either way...thank you to Gary my teacher!
I am hoping that over the next 10 years or so hearing technology and cochlear implants will improve to the point of "restoring" my hearing. Till then I will keep practicing with an ear or two towards tone
Thanks all, great thread
Great thread, thanks all

segoviajr07

Postby segoviajr07 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:40 am

marquezdl wrote:I
I am hoping that over the next 10 years or so hearing technology and cochlear implants will improve to the point of "restoring" my hearing. Till then I will keep practicing with an ear or two towards tone
Thanks all, great thread
Great thread, thanks all

Interesting to see how this thread has progressed. I seem to have become a bit of a celebrity with hearing loss and CG. I may be the granddaddy of it all, not because of my age, I am younger than you, but because I have been wearing a hearing aid or aids for about 41 years now. 25 years of that I was a professional guitarist...so I've got more experience than most people ever will, since hearing loss typically isn't corrected by aid till much later in life. I have had about 4 or 5 guys contact me about what I do and how to get on with CG after getting hearing aids. I am happy to help, its pretty amazing, really. BUT I am sorry to say that I sincerely doubt that technology within the next ten years will either via invasive surgery or electronic devices get close to the real thing. Be great, but I just don't think its gonna happen. :desole:

Non Tabius

Postby Non Tabius » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:32 am

Yes I suppose we will just have to reconcile ourselves to the facts attributed to been old gigsters and heavy rockers,
and accept that "every sport has it's injuries" and live with it.

Soon

Postby Soon » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:55 pm

My ears hear differently. Left side loses quite a bit of highs but otherwise fine. Right side has slight tinnitus with good highs and an upper mid boost that can cause some pain. Don't know if it's from having 3 kids or over 20 years sitting in front of trumpets.

Bailey

Postby Bailey » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:30 pm

I have hearing loss in both ears; more or less equally. Diagnostically, an audiologist would refer to it as a "corner-to-corner" loss; completely normal up to about 4k hertz, then dropping steeply down to around 10K hertz and, essentially non-existent above that.

As others have mentioned, conversation is challenging with this kind of hearing loss because you're robbed of the high frequency sounds; particularly the ability to define consonant pairs, like "th", "ch" and "sh". On the other side, the vowels are, for the most part, fine.

Music hasn't really been a problem so far; although overtones are a thing of the past for me as well as sounds an octave and a half about high C on the piano; they simply sound like light taps on a table top.

I use digital CIC Starkey hearing aids when I need to get as much from my ears as I can. But, often times I just let it go and enjoy the level of hearing that I have.

I can hear all of my mistakes perfectly! :wink:

Bailey
Hill Performance 2013
Hippner Hauser 2011

AsturiasFan

Postby AsturiasFan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:11 am

I have major loss in the left ear. Currently it feels stopped up and is almost completely deaf. I haven't had a cold recently and there is no pain, so it's probably just wax build up. A deafness of an ear really cuts down on the enjoyment of ones own playing. I'm making an appointment to see an ear doctor just in case it's something serious. From the internet I found out that it's safe to drop in 3%-hydrogen peroxide to remove wax buildup. Its also safe to drop in isopropyl alcohol with or without added vinegar to help dry the ear out. The safety of 3%-hydrogen peroxide is surprising since once after soaking a cut thumb tip in it for 60 seconds, the tip looked dead, it shriveled up and turned ghastly white like it had severe frost bite.
You say picado, I say picato, but my terrier insists on piccata sauce.

Non Tabius

Postby Non Tabius » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:13 am

I'm making an appointment to see an ear doctor just in case it's something serious. From the internet I found out that it's safe to drop in 3%-hydrogen peroxide to remove wax buildup. Its also safe to drop in isopropyl alcohol with or without added vinegar to help dry the ear out.

I've been using a wax build-up remover for a good couple of years now.I would recommend going to the local chemist a trying that first before going to a doctor its relatively cheap and even sofens the wax in case the doctor wants to syringe the ear.I have natural hearing loss but the wax remover dose work for me.

AsturiasFan

Postby AsturiasFan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:51 am

Non Tabius wrote:
I'm making an appointment to see an ear doctor just in case it's something serious. From the internet I found out that it's safe to drop in 3%-hydrogen peroxide to remove wax buildup. Its also safe to drop in isopropyl alcohol with or without added vinegar to help dry the ear out.

I've been using a wax build-up remover for a good couple of years now.I would recommend going to the local chemist a trying that first before going to a doctor its relatively cheap and even sofens the wax in case the doctor wants to syringe the ear.I have natural hearing loss but the wax remover dose work for me.

Yes. I hear that the wax removers are indeed effective. I thought wax might have been the problem since the ear feels stopped up, but its not wax in my case.

I looked on the internet again and found out that sudden deafness (my left ear went completely deaf over a three day period) is considered to be an emergency medical condition that needs to be evaluated within 24-48 hours to avoid the possibility of permanent hearing loss. So I went to the emergency room and they found nothing wrong: no wax; no infection. They did a nerve test with a tuning fork which I passed, so they don't know the cause. There's lots of causes for sudden deafness but they didn't do anything expensive like an MRI, which could detect the more serious causes. I'm just supposed to follow up with a regular doctor to follow the ears condition. My left ear is still nearly completely deaf, so it might be permanent but sometimes hearing will return in a week or so (according to web information).
You say picado, I say picato, but my terrier insists on piccata sauce.

Non Tabius

Postby Non Tabius » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:42 pm

Gee I hope its nothing serious have you looked up on the possibillity of tinitas which has been mentioned here already .What I have read is that too caffein as in coffee causes the ringinging sound in the ears.A recording engineer I once met sold all his gear because of over exposure to noise/sounds .I dont know wether he was a coffee freak like I am but something to consider.Mayby just rest the ears for a while.Do a bit of theory or something to that nature for a few days.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”