Anyone else have some hearing loss?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...

Re: Anyone else have some hearing loss?

Postby goldnspots » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:01 am

Cutting back on your caffeine will help.
2010 Ramirez 125 Anos Cedar/Indian Rosewood
goldnspots

Postby Deacon87 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:13 pm

David, you mentioned that your aids completely block your ears. FYI, my aids have a small hole drilled in the base to allow air/sound to come in. I don't like to have my ears plugged up. This may help you when playing guitar. Also, your new aids(resounds) can be adjusted to amplify only the sound you have trouble hearing. Don
Deacon87

Postby Raimundo104 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:19 pm

Hi Don, Thanks, yes, mine have the small hole also. I asked the audiologist if natural sound comes through the Resound essence (BTE) aids, he confirmed it does and infact will program them so lower frequencies are not amplified. I will be picking them up on Saturday. It seems the ones I have at the moment amplify frequencies that I would otherwise be able to hear naturally.
Regards David
Raimundo104

Postby Deacon87 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:33 pm

David,

Let me know how you like the Resounds. I will be getting new aids this year. My audiologist is pushing the Phonaks. My current pair, Siemens ITE, are 5 years old and sound great but I've had them repaired once - not sure how much longer they will last. Based on the specs, the new aids look way better than my current ones.

Don
Deacon87

Postby Raimundo104 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi Don. will do , it seems the technology has moved on considerably in the last year or so and cheaper too. The audiologist wanted to sell me a new Siemens model, with 5 programs, but they were more than 2X the price of the Resounds which are about $1500.
Regards
David
Raimundo104

Postby goldnspots » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Deacon87 wrote:David,

Let me know how you like the Resounds. I will be getting new aids this year. My audiologist is pushing the Phonaks. My current pair, Siemens ITE, are 5 years old and sound great but I've had them repaired once - not sure how much longer they will last. Based on the specs, the new aids look way better than my current ones.

Don

Hey Don,
I have the Phonak Nadias. They are the best hearing aids I've had.
2010 Ramirez 125 Anos Cedar/Indian Rosewood
goldnspots

Postby segoviajr07 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:18 am

That's what I use. I had ReSound previously and the Phonak are clearly better...e.g., MUCH less feedback.
segoviajr07

Postby Deacon87 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:13 pm

The Naidas look great - never knew there was a water resistant hearing aid. I wouldn't have to worry about my 3 year boy hosing me all the time. Wish they had it in "in the ear" style. Don
Deacon87

Postby Olarte » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:34 pm

I have some GREAT news! - I have had problems with my left hear my whole life and after two "traumatic" surgeries at the age of 10 and 30, I have avoided going to an ear doctor for the past 15 years.

Well I finally decided to go get it checked and see if there is anything I can do about it. I was very afraid that aside from hearing loss, they would tell me I had major damage etc, as I get "light" infections once in a while.

Well the best news is that the infections are common, and it's nothing serious Whew!

with that out of the way, the other great news is that while my left hear has a 50% (lower registers) to 70% (higher registers) hearing loss the nerves are completely fine and healthy. The problem is that the bones that need to vibrate are "stuck" stuck together.

I have two options an outpatient "minor" surgery that has over a 60% or more of recovering most of my hearing, or I can try a hearing aid first.

The doctor said there is a slight possibility that the surgery could make it worse, or not work, but that would be the more permanent solution and result in natural hearing while the hearing aid may not sound natural which is crucial for CG.

I have to clear-up the routine infection that I get from time to time, and will see him in 5 weeks to continue with the options.

I want to go ahead with the surgery (as much as I fear the surgery... even during the exam, I felt like 10 year old again!), in hopes of fixing my hearing once and for all.

I will keep you all posted, and please feel free to offer any comments or advise.

Thanks in advance,
Ivan
:guitare:
Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
The Journey is the reward...

2007 - Antonio Loriente "Clarita" Cedar Top\Indian Rosewood - Ergoplay Troster, Hiscox Liteflite Pro II case
Olarte

Postby Raimundo104 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:40 pm

Hi Don
The Resound Essence (BTE) are very succesful for my problem, even though they are supposed to be a budget aid. My previous Resounds (ITE) were unusable,as they made every day sounds very loud (eg running water from a tap (faucet) into a bowl. So it seems the technology has greatly improved in the last year or so and is cheaper.

Regards
David
Raimundo104

Postby Raimundo104 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:46 pm

Hi Olarte

Very interesting, but how did they diagnose that the nerves were OK, and that the bones were stuck ?
With my hearing loss, severe at 1000hz and above , it is assumed that the hairs in the cochlea are damaged.

For infections try drinking (sipping) boiled water, taken hot, throughout the day especially in winter and avoid cold food and drinks.

Regards
David
Raimundo104

Postby Tom Cunliffe » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:13 pm

As far as I know, I have little or no hearing loss. But I often wonder why the guitar sounds so different to me at different times of the day. Does anyone else experience this?
Tom Cunliffe
East Sussex, UK - struggling player of guitar, mandolin and English concertina, but mostly guitar, and mostly struggling
Tom Cunliffe

Postby Olarte » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:03 am

Raimundo104 wrote:Hi Olarte

Very interesting, but how did they diagnose that the nerves were OK, and that the bones were stuck ?
With my hearing loss, severe at 1000hz and above , it is assumed that the hairs in the cochlea are damaged.

For infections try drinking (sipping) boiled water, taken hot, throughout the day especially in winter and avoid cold food and drinks.

Regards
David

Not sure, they did a thorough audiology test, which determined the extent of the hearing loss, then the doctor, examined my ears, and in particular the left with a microscope of some kind he cleaned it out, had me hold my nose and blow air a few times, examined it, and we discussed my past history including the mastoidectomy I had done about 15 years ago.

anyway, based on that he determined that the nervers were ok, that the bones were "stuck" together, and that the surgery has a 70% chance of recovering most of the hearing.

as for the recurrent infections, he said they are a common result of the mastoidectomy, and I should be treated routinely to insure the area remains healthy every 6 months or so.

So for now he is treating me with some drops to clear the area, before proceding with the surgery or hearing aid. I'm leaning towards the surgery since it will not be a major one, and it does not involve any additiona removal of bone or tissue.

I have avoided following up on this for 15 years, afraid that my ear and surrounding area was a more serious problem, but he did not seem that concerned about it, and feels confident that he can help me quite a bit.

as it is, I felt like I had a flashback to when I was 10 years old when he examined me, but while it was a bit uncomfortable, he had a great touch.
Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
The Journey is the reward...

2007 - Antonio Loriente "Clarita" Cedar Top\Indian Rosewood - Ergoplay Troster, Hiscox Liteflite Pro II case
Olarte

Postby Tarbaby » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:10 am

You have great courage, Olarte! :war:

It's very difficult to overcome childhood trauma.

It would be so wonderful to have things turn out right. Good luck!

Alan
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Languages: English, German, Classical Guitar.
2003 Sergio Abreu; 1976 Granada
Tarbaby

Postby David » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:32 am

Olarte

I agree with Alan, good luck with it.

Might have to see what can be done about my right ear, I'm effectively deaf in it, combined with tinnitus that causes varying degrees of annoyance. Will have to find a different ENT person though, the last one was too conceited & left me wondering why I'd bothered to see him at all. And his charging, reminded me of the proverbial wounded bull.

Anyway, I hope everything goes well & look forwarded to hearing about it (EDIT: pun unintended).

Kampret
"Bluebottle, what're you doing here?"
"Well everybody's got to be somewhere." - The Goons
David

PreviousNext

Return to Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists