Problem with a murata guitar rest

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...

Problem with a murata guitar rest

Postby richard_joh » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:10 pm

I have been using the Murata guitar rest (one without suction cups) and it certainly makes me play much longer without any backpain. I even saw Goran Sollscher using it on a concert stage a couple months ago. The guitar rest stays intact without making any squeaking noises.

But I realized one problem. When it is tight enough, there is noticeable loss of tone (and maybe little bit of volume too). Has anyone noticed similar problems?

These days I wound the clamps with soft clothes. The tonal loss is minimized but it is still a bit slippery.

Cheers,
Richard
2007 Ramirez SP (German Spruce / Indian Rosewood)
2011 Richard Joh (Redwood / Zebrawood)
richard_joh

Re: Problem with a murata guitar rest

Postby altnaez » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:26 pm

I have not experienced any tone problems with mine. The problem I'm having now is with my Byers guitar, because of the slant on the upper bout of the soundboard. The two rearmost (towards the waist) contact surfaces grab the guitar but the upper ones make no contact. I have a few ideas on how to modify it, but then it will not work with my other guitars ( can't win'em all !) :chaud: . However, the problem you are having does not ocurr on any of my three guitars. One fix could be to make the contact surfaces shorter so it only makes pressure closer to the glued edge of the soundboard and binding. I also had the same rewarding experience on my lower back and I also prefer the rubber protected clamp to the suction cups.
Hope you find a fix.

Saludos,
Albert
altnaez

Return to Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists