Why not stand with the guitar?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...

Why not stand with the guitar?

Postby AndreiKrylov » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:45 pm

This seems to be a very controversial theme.
I just restore what I wrote here before.
I play guitar almost 40 years now. I started as a classical guitarist in classical position, using stool etc. I played for years many hours a day. But then I developed back problems. Also I played electric guitar a lot too. I still play more classical guitar than any other instrument. But I think to stand with guitar on a strap is a best solution! I can play longer hours and I'm be able to be more concentrated and more productive. I don't understand - why should we seat? Why not to stand with guitar? Even when you are young -it is more convenient but when you older it is uncomarable. I feel more relax and concentrate on my music - I don't think about pain. Sitting is not ergonomical position at all! Ask medical professionals... Standing is a solution for back and for concentration too.
I don't insist that this is the only possible position.
It is the best for the people who has problems with their back...
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
AndreiKrylov

Re: Why not stand with the guitar?

Postby Erik Zurcher » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:08 pm

I feel most comfortable and under control playing guitar on a chair and using a footstool. But I don't have back problems. You are the first classical guitarist to play standing up, but it's common for steel string or electrical guitarists. Even solo violinists stand, while solo classical guitarists sit down before an orchestra. You are breaking with classical guitar convention to relieve your back. To me, that seems a sensible reason to break with convention. Other classical guitarists with back problems should follow your example.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004, Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".
Erik Zurcher

Postby Sean » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:24 pm

I, for one, would not go so far as to classify this as a 'controversial' topic. After all, and as Erik noted, steel-string and electric guitars are commonly played with a strap, and several classical folks, including Jorge Cardoso and Aaron Shearer, have 'strapped' around.
Sean

Postby AndreiKrylov » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:36 pm

Thanks for your responds!
Actually I can play sitting and I do sometimes, but I can't do it for long hours anymore when I sit, but when I stand I can easy play 4 and more hours a day.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
AndreiKrylov

Postby owl » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:24 am

Andrei... I'm glad to see you have returned and I hope you now understand what happened in this thread... sometimes the humour can be hard to understand when English is not your mother tongue :roll:

On another note however, I feel it is most unfair that genuine responsive posts were removed from this thread
Everyone on this forum is entitled to their own opinion, and entitled as a member to post that opinion!
As long as you are polite and don't break any rules I fail to see why posts were removed, and I for one would like my posts reinstated!

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.
owl

Postby Hans W » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:48 am

owl wrote:As long as you are polite and don't break any rules I fail to see why posts were removed, and I for one would like my posts reinstated!
Owl

Owl, I removed the original thread because with various deleted posts most of the replies made no sense. I would gladly be able to put the posts from the original thread into this active thread but unfortunately the system uses chronological order for placing copied or merged posts. For example, if I merged your reply from the original thread, it would be the first post in this new thread usurping Andrei's intro to the subject and obviously be completely out of context. Limitations of the system.

This is an interesting subject that really hasn't been addressed before and one that Andrei is in perfect position to bring up inasmuch as he not only plays standing but is a very accomplished player.

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!
Hans W

Postby choctawchas » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:14 am

I would very much like to play standing up or rather a system that holds the guitar and frees the player to play standing up.

I use the 'classic' classical posture sitting with a stool.If I have any fatigue problems I get out the dynarelle and
use it combined with a low footsool. But I don't like the noise and squeak that this set up makes!
I have researched using a guitar stand to 'hold' the guitar so that I could play standing up without any real luck.
This is an idea that came from seeing steve howe in concert many,many years ago................. :oops:

I would certainly welcome anyone who has come across such a system.
I am surprised that no one has engineered such a product for us.

cheers,douglas
Last edited by choctawchas on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver Moore 2012
Miles Henderson Smith 2012
choctawchas

Postby owl » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:34 am

Hans W wrote:This is an interesting subject that really hasn't been addressed before and one that Andrei is in perfect position to bring up inasmuch as he not only plays standing but is a very accomplished player.

I don't think anyone is disputing that fact Hans... I certainly wasn't, as would be apparent by my posts in the original thread!
Because the original poster deleted some of his posts doesn't make my posts... or any other opinion less valid... whether you feel they made sense or not
It was the original posters decision to delete his responses... it was obvious that he did that because of how the thread ran... he couldn't delete his posts entirely because someone posted after him
It is unfair that valid posts are deleted when it was all a misunderstanding in the first place... and the original poster's misunderstanding at that!

I am aware of the limitations of the system in general and if my posts can't be restored then so be it!
I won't be posting in this thread again!

I understand why sometimes threads are removed, but in this case, as long as members stayed polite, as they did, then I saw no reason for it to be deleted
It would have been better to have locked the thread with a short explanation for all to see... mine were not the only posts deleted
Otherwise it's always a good idea to PM a member when you remove their posts.

Owl
owl

Postby AndreiKrylov » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi,
I found in my PC a couple of posts on this topic by owl:
here those posts, and I'll try to put video today.
Dear Owl please go on youtube - I have a few videos there - just look for Andrei Krylov and you'll fin them.
Sorry for problems with old topic...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: Why not to stand with guitar?
by owl » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:54 am
Nope!
Tried it... hate it!

It changed the sound (to my ears)
My guitar felt totally unbalanced as did my RH... when I wanted to play an assertive piece with a strong attack I felt as though the neck was waving around in the breeze!
I hold the head of my guitar fairly high and I couldn't seem to maintain that position

Perhaps I didn't persevere for long enough... but I really hated the lack of control I felt... give me the footstool any day.

By the way, I played acoustic and EB for many years, so it's not as if I hadn't played standing up before
For me it just doesn't work for classical

Owl

owl

by owl » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:25 pm
Simplicio wrote:
Andrei, maybe you can upload a video of you playing standing up, of course, after you introduce yourself.

That's actually a great idea Vito... it's not right for me but it could suit others
It certainly wouldn't hurt to show how it's done

Owl
owl
AndreiKrylov

Postby Intune » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:35 pm

I'd also posted earlier to mention that luthier Kenny Hill is a big advocate of playing standing up with a guitar strap and has designed a special classical guitar for doing so. He's written about it on his website, and he'd probably have much insight to add to this thread if he chose to contribute.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau
Intune

Postby Hans W » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Just to clarify, no posts have been deleted by the Mods. The original thread was only removed from public view.

That's a good idea Owl about bringing the thread back but locking it.

The original posts are here

Hans
Classical Guitar rules!
Hans W

Postby remmus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:00 pm

I just watched several video's of Andrei playing standing up. He's a natural at it and it seems so easy for him to play!

I might give standing a try now Andrei. After a sitting for a while my bum gets num :lol:
But, I doubt I would ever permanently replace my sitting position with standing. :)
"...it is awfully easy to become content with a level below what one is actually capable of." - Carl Peter
remmus

Postby AndreiKrylov » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:12 pm

Well... everybody should do what is the most suitable for you.
AndreiKrylov

Postby Cuyler » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:31 pm

douglas wrote:I have researched using a guitar stand to 'hold' the guitar so that I could play standing up without any real luck.
This is an idea that came from seeing steve howe in concert many,many years ago................. :oops:

I would certainly welcome anyone who has come across such a system.
I am surprised that no one has engineered such a product for us.

I came across something on the web called a Gracie Guitar Stand that looks like a sheet music stand that has been adapted to hold a guitar. I don't know if that would be of interest, but you can check them out by googling "Gracie Guitar Stands".
Cuyler

Postby AndreiKrylov » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:34 am

Well maybe this stand will be useful for some.. But I like not just stand, but to have possibility for free movement...therefore it will be harder for me to move if I have not guitar only , but stand attached to it...
but for some folks it may work
AndreiKrylov

Next

Return to Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists