Why not stand with the guitar?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...

Re: Why not to stand with guitar?

Postby AndreiKrylov » Sun May 01, 2011 5:10 pm

19thcenturyguitarist wrote:
AndreiKrylov wrote:Thanks for your comment !
I played two concerts like that (standing) this winter in San Miguel, Mexico. It was Renaissance, Baroque, variations to Russian and Gypsy folk songs and Original music. I would play sitting in classical position too, but my back failing me after I became 40... and now I'm in my 50-s and it is not getting better ... :)


Well next time you are in southern california, PM me and/or announce it in the forum and i'll come to your show!

I dont know what more facinating now, the whole stand up and play CG or the fact that this TOPIC has over 100 posts!!!


Thanks! Here I play standing on the deck of my house... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L79oOCELpnE
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
User avatar
AndreiKrylov
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico

Re: Why not to stand with guitar?

Postby Liz Williams » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:13 pm

I was talking to luthier Kenny Hill the other day, and he makes a guitar specifically for standing. It's got a slightly wedge-shaped body to facilitate playing in that position. He says he mostly plays standing these days, for many of the reasons we all consider it. I compromise and use a strap on my guitar while sitting. I've had a strap sutto installed at the base of the neck. That way I can move the guitar to accommodate my body rather than shaping my body around the guitar, but it's more stable than standing. it works well for me.
Liz Williams
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:30 am
Location: SF Bay Area, California, USA

Re: Why not to stand with guitar?

Postby Liz Williams » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:14 pm

Strap button, not sutto! :lol:
Liz Williams
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:30 am
Location: SF Bay Area, California, USA

Re: Why not to stand with guitar?

Postby Poncho » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:13 pm

I play a little flat pick bluegrass now and then and I can't do it standing up. I have to sit in a chair with a foot stool just like when I play my CG. I hold the guitar exactly as I do with the CG. I've tried standing up with the steel string acoustic but just don't feel comfortable. Kinda odd, I think.
Poncho
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Why not to stand with guitar?

Postby AndreiKrylov » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:40 pm

Liz Williams wrote:I was talking to luthier Kenny Hill the other day, and he makes a guitar specifically for standing. It's got a slightly wedge-shaped body to facilitate playing in that position. He says he mostly plays standing these days, for many of the reasons we all consider it. I compromise and use a strap on my guitar while sitting. I've had a strap sutto installed at the base of the neck. That way I can move the guitar to accommodate my body rather than shaping my body around the guitar, but it's more stable than standing. it works well for me.

Yes I sit with the strap sometimes too... when I'm not standing with it :)
Thanks for your comment Liz!
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
User avatar
AndreiKrylov
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico

Re: Why not to stand with guitar?

Postby AndreiKrylov » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Poncho wrote:I play a little flat pick bluegrass now and then and I can't do it standing up. I have to sit in a chair with a foot stool just like when I play my CG. I hold the guitar exactly as I do with the CG. I've tried standing up with the steel string acoustic but just don't feel comfortable. Kinda odd, I think.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
User avatar
AndreiKrylov
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico

Re: Why not to stand with guitar?

Postby AndreiKrylov » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Poncho wrote:I play a little flat pick bluegrass now and then and I can't do it standing up. I have to sit in a chair with a foot stool just like when I play my CG. I hold the guitar exactly as I do with the CG. I've tried standing up with the steel string acoustic but just don't feel comfortable. Kinda odd, I think.

Well I never played a little flat pick bluegrass... therefore I have no opinion about it...I always play with my fingers, using all of them... :)
Thanks for your interest to this theme!
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
User avatar
AndreiKrylov
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico

Re: Why not to stand with guitar?

Postby dng » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:44 pm

John Jarvie is the one to watch playing stand-up..

he has a vid explaining very well

make a search on Utube for him... and Stand-up Classical Guitar
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Frederic Chopin
User avatar
dng
 
Posts: 653
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:32 pm
Location: Orange County, Ca.

Re: Why not to stand with guitar?

Postby AndreiKrylov » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:46 pm

dng wrote:John Jarvie is the one to watch playing stand-up..

he has a vid explaining very well

make a search on Utube for him... and Stand-up Classical Guitar


Thanks for your comment.
There is that video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGDL0kjZQOk
He is talking about same things which came to my mind many years ago :)
His strap is interesting too.
The difference between us that I use just normal strap which would not slide (made from such material which not slide) and I usually don't look at the neck at all.
It is nice to see that more and more people agree with logical idea that play in standing position is good and sometimes, if you have problems with your back etc. even better than in sitting position.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
User avatar
AndreiKrylov
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico

Re: Why not to stand with guitar?

Postby mikfik » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:22 pm

Gracie guitar stands are no longer available as far as I can tell. 2 music stores told me they went out of buisness and I haven't been able to contact them for a long time. Perhaps I'll try again. The product in question would come in very handy to do the final action adjustment on a new instrument since the guitar could be worked on while in playing position. I don't think playing with the guitar being held on a stand would work for me. I love the intimate feeling of holding my guitar like I would hold a woman. Feeling the wood is part of the pleasure I get while playing. I think there would be stability issues also.
Guitars and cellos are very special instruments that allow us to feel the vibrations of the back while we play. I wouldn't want to give that up.
User avatar
mikfik
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:03 pm

Re: Why not to stand with guitar?

Postby AndreiKrylov » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:02 pm

mikfik wrote:Gracie guitar stands are no longer available as far as I can tell. 2 music stores told me they went out of buisness and I haven't been able to contact them for a long time. Perhaps I'll try again. The product in question would come in very handy to do the final action adjustment on a new instrument since the guitar could be worked on while in playing position. I don't think playing with the guitar being held on a stand would work for me. I love the intimate feeling of holding my guitar like I would hold a woman. Feeling the wood is part of the pleasure I get while playing. I think there would be stability issues also.
Guitars and cellos are very special instruments that allow us to feel the vibrations of the back while we play. I wouldn't want to give that up.


Thank you very much for your interest to this topic, but guitar stands is different subject... we are not talking about them here.
Standing with strap which allows you to move freely and to feel guitar body - that's what we are talking about here.
I personally would not use guitar stand for playing because it will limit my freedom of movement and it will be bad for my back.
Again if you would like to discuss guitar stands - please do it in topic about it - viewtopic.php?f=71&t=51975&p=567838&hilit=Gracie+guitar+stand#p567838
Good luck with your exploration!
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
User avatar
AndreiKrylov
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico

Re: Why not to stand with guitar?

Postby jaradgiese » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:51 pm

with the growing interest in standing desks which are supposed to help you think faster because you think better "on your feet" I wonder if you could gain a small advantage from practicing standing up?
jaradgiese
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:16 am

Re: Why not to stand with guitar?

Postby kurt guitar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:41 am

To sit is to play classical with much better positioning, stability, and control. When one stands i believe one looses the power to play classical effectivly i.e. right hand dominance and fluidity of its motions, especially tremelo. Scratch that, actually, the especially would be in reference to the endurance. Standing up may be comfortable for a piece or two, but i would find it hard to pursue an entire two set, one intermission, classical guitar concert, standing up.
kurt guitar
 
Posts: 656
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:03 am
Location: Huntington Beach, Orange County

Re: Why not to stand with guitar?

Postby AndreiKrylov » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:43 pm

kurt guitar wrote:To sit is to play classical with much better positioning, stability, and control. When one stands i believe one looses the power to play classical effectivly i.e. right hand dominance and fluidity of its motions, especially tremelo. Scratch that, actually, the especially would be in reference to the endurance. Standing up may be comfortable for a piece or two, but i would find it hard to pursue an entire two set, one intermission, classical guitar concert, standing up.

Thanks for your interest ,Kurt. I play guitar more than 40 years. I published 50 albums of guitar music recorded mostly standing... I played thousands of concerts during my life and last 20 years mostly standing... and it is opposite... it is very uncomfortable to sit... :) especially when you got older and HAVE BACK PROBLEMS... But if people like to sit that's fine for me ...I'm just advising - please ignore it and continue to sit.
But please don't bring false arguments in this topic - I'm 52 and sometimes I play 10 hours a day standing (there are such days ...) and if I need to sit 10 hours it will be a torture, but to stand ? I just feel little bit tired... by the way when I stand I don't stand like statue, I always move little bit and that way my body feel free and relaxed. Tremolo? Right hand? No difference standing or sitting. It is probably even better for right hand because right shoulder should be more relaxed standing than sitting.

Couple of samples:


Youtube



Youtube
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
User avatar
AndreiKrylov
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico

Re: Why not to stand with guitar?

Postby AndreiKrylov » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:38 pm

jaradgiese wrote:with the growing interest in standing desks which are supposed to help you think faster because you think better "on your feet" I wonder if you could gain a small advantage from practicing standing up?


Oh Yes! This is great point ! Exactly I played sitting and standing all my life (just standing last 20 years) but even when I was in my 20 s, when was no problem with my back , I found that I actually almost falling asleep after playing 3-4 hours on guitar, so then I played first 3-4 hours in a day sitting and next 3-4 hours standing and when I was standing I felt refreshed. Not just my hands were ok but my mind works better that way.
Thanks jaradgiese!
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
User avatar
AndreiKrylov
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico

PreviousNext

Return to Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests