Tenuto Guitar Support - WOW!

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...

Re: Tenuto Guitar Support - WOW!

Postby jay_cgy » Wed May 27, 2009 4:19 am

Hi all,

I'm new here and actually I just registered to respond to this post. The Tenuto is really cool and I study with one of the guys who helped design them and distributes them. Mainly I just wanted people to know that the picture above is the OLD model. The new model is not significantly different, but it is much stronger since the arm is made of stainless steel instead of aluminium. Also, my teacher and the guy who makes them decided against the geeky looking strap. The new strap is all black. I'll get a pic of mine soon and upload it. The description above was great, but if you want more info, you can contact my teacher at [MOD EDIT: please don't give out other people's email addresses. PM the poster for the address.]

His name is Jose.

nice chatting,
Joel
jay_cgy

Postby Olarte » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:44 pm

jay_cgy wrote:Hi all,

I'm new here and actually I just registered to respond to this post. The Tenuto is really cool and I study with one of the guys who helped design them and distributes them. Mainly I just wanted people to know that the picture above is the OLD model. The new model is not significantly different, but it is much stronger since the arm is made of stainless steel instead of aluminium. Also, my teacher and the guy who makes them decided against the geeky looking strap. The new strap is all black. I'll get a pic of mine soon and upload it. The description above was great, but if you want more info, you can contact my teacher at [MOD EDIT: please don't give out other people's email addresses. PM the poster for the address.]

His name is Jose.

nice chatting,
Joel

Thanks Joel, If you could can you PM me with your teacher's e-mail?

I love the Tenuto, and in fact I'm thinking of buying a 2nd one for a guitar I plan to buy in 2 years.

By the way I see you joined for this post... it's very much appreciated. But why don't you stay for a bit?

Please introduce yourself, fill out your profile with the location etc, and browse around. I think you will find that this is truly a great community and we welcome all CG enthusiasts...
Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
The Journey is the reward...

2007 - Antonio Loriente "Clarita" Cedar Top\Indian Rosewood - Ergoplay Troster, Hiscox Liteflite Pro II case
Olarte

Postby Sean » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:31 pm

That's an interesting looking device.
Sean

Postby Aurore » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:57 pm

I tried a few days ago the new Tenuto metal with the cut-outs in it - Overall the Tenuto is nice.
- the swivel is a nice feature
- the suctions cups are very good - the hold is quite secure combined with the swivel you can move, quite nice
- I found the fabric strap a bit slippery, I was wearing jeans, compared to what I have leather.

But for myself since it is exact same dimensions (except wider) to what I currently use: http://www.classicalguitarstore.com/images/accessories/suction_260x272.jpg which I like. So I won't be buying one.

The only problem with all of those types of devices is that they don't allow me to place the guitar to my right enough so I end up putting the end of the support into my leg, I've tried positioning the support at different points on the guitar, then it's sits on the leg but the guitar is too low. I'd love to try different types of supports but buying them to find out they don't suit is not something I'm prepared to do.

My husband will be designing and making me a custom one, might have a swivel hinge, the nicer suction cups and so forth, will probably build 1-prototype and then see. Not sure who will be having more fun. :D
shkoutimeou, montagnais qui se traduit par « la fin des eaux profondes »
Aurore

Postby Pepotte » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:49 am

I tend to agree with you Aurore. I like having the guitar a little more to the right, or positioning the hollow just above the middle of my legs. I find I can play longer this way without getting weary. I would be very interested in seeing the device your husband comes up with. Cheers.
Pepotte
Pepotte

Postby Derek Arvidson » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:39 am

dkpwv wrote:Not a big fan of suction cups on my guitar finish. I went with the Dynarette.

I have a medical condition that makes sitting difficult at times, most difficult when sitting in the taught position. The pressures on the back end are exemplified and after periods can make this excruciating. One of my guitar teachers made mention of these cushions. Being younger and stubborn for the formality of traditional position I passed over this option and sacrificed my comfort for my art so to speak. Now that I'm older and wiser and tired of being sore I'm intruiged by this utility. I also wish to commit much longer periods of time in praciticing now that I have the time and want to maximize the sessions with minimal recovery times and limit any relapses I may trigger due to sitting hard.

How heavy are these cushions and how hard is it to transition to and from playing with the cushion then to a foot stool. For occasions when I go to classes, teach classes or perform at a recital, I would wish to play with the foot stool in the formal posture. But at home when I practice it would be great to be comfortable in a nice safe manner. Is there any aclimatization time required when switching?

Cheers,

Derek
Derek Arvidson

Postby Olarte » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:29 pm

One thing that I have learned recently is that we all worry too much about convenience or are over protective of the guitar we play.

However the playing is what counts the most, and with that in mind I'm now have switched to the best\most stable support out there that I've tried the Ergoplay.

I was being lazy with not wanting to take off the support, carry it etc, so I had chosen the Tenuto. However after trying out two different Ergoplays I came to realize that it instantly improved my technique and sound. It holds the guitar way more stable and at a better height.

As for the finish, I don't have a french polish, but even so, one can use a vinyl protector that ships with it, or from Kling-on and it will protect the finish to a large degree.

You need to use the support that works the best for you. For me it's now the Ergoplay on my new Clarita that I'm waiting for (as my main guitar) and I will continue to use the Tenuto (which is a great support on it's own) on my Cordoba which will be my all around carry guitar.

I other supports like the Dynarette too low and\or unstable .
Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.

2007 - Antonio Loriente "Clarita" Cedar Top\Indian Rosewood - Ergoplay Troster, Hiscox Liteflite Pro II case
Olarte

Postby papazian » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:07 pm

olarte wrote:I was being lazy with not wanting to take off the support, carry it etc, so I had chosen the Tenuto. However after trying out two different Ergoplays I came to realize that it instantly improved my technique and sound. It holds the guitar way more stable and at a better height.

Out of curiosity, which of the two Ergoplay models did you buy and why the one model over the other?
Thanks in advance. :D
Gene.
papazian

Postby Olarte » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:36 pm

papazian wrote:
olarte wrote:I was being lazy with not wanting to take off the support, carry it etc, so I had chosen the Tenuto. However after trying out two different Ergoplays I came to realize that it instantly improved my technique and sound. It holds the guitar way more stable and at a better height.

Out of curiosity, which of the two Ergoplay models did you buy and why the one model over the other?
Gene.

Hi Gene, I bought the Tappert support, mainly because the other one was $20 more and I don't think I need the added adjustability.

Although I don't know I think on hindsight, I might have bought the other one instead. With that one I believe you can adjust the angle and height on both the upper and lower bout where they attach to the guitar.

In any case I think either model would work fine for you, unless you are very tall and want the extra adjustability of the other model.

As an added benefit, I also found that I can attach my TT501 clip-on tunner right on the Ergoplay instead of at the headstock. It blends in better, and does not rattle at all which it used to when attached to the headstock. The Clip-on tunner is also much easier to see and work with when attached to the Ergoplay.

ivan

Olarte

Postby papazian » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:12 pm

olarte wrote:
papazian wrote:

Gene.

Hi Gene, I bought the Tappert support, mainly because the other one was $20 more and I don't think I need the added adjustability.ivan

Ivan,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to choose between the "Ergoplay" Troester model or the "Murata" support. The cost is fairly close. The one uses suction cups, the other a clamp mechanism.

Do you have any thoughts on the "Murata" support. I think it's sometimes called the "Aria"?

Gene.
papazian

Postby Olarte » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:32 pm

papazian wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to choose between the "Ergoplay" Troester model or the "Murata" support. The cost is fairly close. The one uses suction cups, the other a clamp mechanism.

Do you have any thoughts on the "Murata" support. I think it's sometimes called the "Aria"?

Gene.

Well I don't know if this helps but I had a friend of mine at the CCM workshop actually buy a Tappert to replace the Murata support.

I have not tried the Murata, but to me it does not look as stable or adjustable as the Ergoplay. I have tried the Dynarette, Gitano, and Tenuto support and I prefer the stability of the Ergoplay above all of them. The Tenuto is great for my Cordoba guitar as it's my all around guitar and the convenience of having it fold in place is great.

I think that people worry too much about the suction cups. I use a Kling-on vinyl protector for the places where the suction cups go, and aside from protection they also help with the suction cups staying in place.

I think that a bracket like the one used on Muratas might actually do more damage to the wood and finish on the edges of the guitar than the suction cups if used properly on the sides of the guitar.

I suppose if I had a 20k guitar with french polish etc, I may think about it twice, but so far I have used the Ergoplay on my Antonio Loriente Clarita and like it very much. I keep the surfaces of the guitar and the suction cups nice and clean, and they have yet to give me any problems, during my 2-3 hours of daily practicing & playing.

By the way, if you end up buying the "troester" support and decide that you would have preferred the Tappert do PM me, as I may be interested in trading with you and paying the difference.

ivan

Olarte

Postby papazian » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:58 pm

"By the way, if you end up buying the "troester" support and decide that you would have preferred the Tappert do PM me, as I may be interested in trading with you and paying the difference."

Thanks for so much feedback. If I buy the "Troester" model and for any reason am dissatisfied with it, I'll let you know (with the possibility of a trade/difference for your "Tappert"). :D
Cheers,
Gene.
Last edited by papazian on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
papazian

Postby GuitarVlog » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:21 am

I have a Troester and two Tapperts (I leave them attached to my instruments). Either model works fine. :)

I'll admit an ever so slight preference for the Troester but I'd be more than happy with the Tappert if that was all that I had.

And the same goes for me. If anyone is looking to sell an Ergoplay (one of the later models), I have another guitar that I'd just like to leave one on. :lol:
"The hardest time for most guitar players is the beginning stage, because it is all investment and no return." - Charlotte Adams
"It's not your guitar or lute that matters but what you can do with it." - Moi
GuitarVlog

Postby Olarte » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:17 am

Maybe we should start an "Ergoplay"ers club! :lol:

Olarte

Postby Paulmt » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:09 pm

Hi guys,
Seems like most of the guitar supporters use suction cups which I don't think will be good for French Polish guitar. What would you guys use for French Polish guitar?

Has anyone tried out the Shearer Guitar Strap?

http://www.aaronshearer.com/htmpages/guitar.htm
Paulmt

PreviousNext

Return to Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists