Tenuto Guitar Support - WOW!

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...

Re: Tenuto Guitar Support - WOW!

Postby Olarte » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:16 am

Paulmt wrote:Hi guys,
Seems like most of the guitar supporters use suction cups which I don't think will be good for French Polish guitar. What would you guys use for French Polish guitar?

Has anyone tried out the Shearer Guitar Strap?

http://www.aaronshearer.com/htmpages/guitar.htm

Yuk, velcro, Eye Hook? No way,

However I did meet a faculty member at CCM that uses a guitar strap on all his instruments. He had a guitar strap "buttons" attached to all his guitars by a qualified luthier and says he likes it better than any other attachment.

I don't care for it, but it seems to work fine for him. Plus he can then play standing up, move around the stage etc.
Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
The Journey is the reward...

2007 - Antonio Loriente "Clarita" Cedar Top\Indian Rosewood - Ergoplay Troster, Hiscox Liteflite Pro II case
Olarte

Postby amezcua » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:35 pm

Would it freak out everybody if I asked what affect a long strip of double sided tape would do to the tone and/or varnish?The material to be attached has not been worked out yet.Seems that if everyone playing guitars agreed to sacrifice that curve of the side that touches the leg(s) then all the mechanical stuff would be simplified.It`s getting like pre-nuptial agreements where every guitar is going to be sold or abandoned for "another".(Oh, how could you! I`ve given you the best years of my life!) Why worry about the sides anyway ?Cardboard ones work just as well , Sez Senor Torres.
If you like velcro you`ll love double sided tape.(and whatever I stick with it.)Look on this as a work in progress.Remember old French Polish rags once burned down a skyscraper.Now then.
amezcua

Postby dkpwv » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:02 pm

amezcua wrote:Would it freak out everybody if I asked what affect a long strip of double sided tape would do to the tone and/or varnish?The material to be attached has not been worked out yet.Seems that if everyone playing guitars agreed to sacrifice that curve of the side that touches the leg(s) then all the mechanical stuff would be simplified.It`s getting like pre-nuptial agreements where every guitar is going to be sold or abandoned for "another".(Oh, how could you! I`ve given you the best years of my life!) Why worry about the sides anyway ?Cardboard ones work just as well , Sez Senor Torres.
If you like velcro you`ll love double sided tape.(and whatever I stick with it.)Look on this as a work in progress.Remember old French Polish rags once burned down a skyscraper.Now then.

Asking wouldn't freak us out, but doing certainly would freak me out. I'm not a big fan of defacing the finish of any instrument. (my 2 cents)
dkp

2008 Ramirez 125 Anos (Cedar top)
w/Ramirez mediums
2006 Cordoba 55R (Spruce top)
w/LaBella 2001 mediums
2003 Martin D-16GT (Spruce top)
w/D'addario EJ17
dkpwv

Postby amezcua » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:05 pm

Well how about a small area of Tuf as Nails bombproof varnish just big enough to attach whatever you fancy.As they say in Bristol----"Good ideal !"
amezcua

Postby GuitarVlog » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:43 pm

Given the growing popularity of guitar supports, perhaps luthiers should just finish the instrument's left side with poly. Customers would then be completely worry-free and can leave their suction cups on 24/7.

I doubt that the sides contribute as much as the top and the back anyway.
"The hardest time for most guitar players is the beginning stage, because it is all investment and no return." - Charlotte Adams
"It's not your guitar or lute that matters but what you can do with it." - Moi
GuitarVlog

Postby amezcua » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Did you ever see the film Goldfinger? Remember the bit where Bond is strapped down and the laser is getting closer and closer ? (Pay attention Bond). Just before he gets cut in half the laser gets to the "Goldfinger zone",if you see what I mean. Well now, imagine something fitted to your guitar chair in the Goldfinger zone that will support a guitar.Get rid of the back of the chair.(saw it off).That would give a sort of "cool " look when you sit down.What`s cooler than sitting on a chair backwards? It can be any shape you want as long as it won`t scratch a guitar (or anything else).
Three point contact.Fully adjustable.Slightly flexy.Nothing attached to the guitar.Whatever you want.
amezcua

Postby amezcua » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:23 pm

Re the Goldfinger zone.Look on Frets Net for the chair to make.Simple design ,and works perfectly.New Guitar Chair is the topic.It absolutely works first time.
amezcua

Postby Vorpa » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:53 pm

I just emailed Salondeguitare about a Tenuto and he replied that he didn't have any and didn't know if he'd be getting anymore. However, Tenuto now has it's own web site where you can order directly from the maker. I'm going to buy one. I have a Gitano and I can't believe how cheaply it's made. I had to grind down two sharp metal corners that rested on my leg and the strap, which is an unbelievably thin piece of cloth is held onto the metal on both ends with what appears to be ordinary electrical tape. The Tenuto looks to be a much better quality rest and unlike the Gitano, it's adjustable to a certain extent.
Vorpa

Postby oski79 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:26 pm

Vorpa wrote:However, Tenuto now has it's own web site where you can order directly from the maker.

I switched from a Gitano to a Tenuto and can vouch that it's a much better product in every way. But looking at the new website, I see there's now another product called the Tenuto Pro. It looks like you can set it higher and it is more adjustable.
But the Silver Tongued Devil's got nothing to lose, I'll only live til I die
We take our own chances, pay our own dues...
The Silver Tongued Devil and I...
oski79

Postby amezcua » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:22 pm

I made a guitar support eventually so I can have both feet on the floor. You have to imagine the guitar "in position " with some padding to represent the left leg size and angle and then a wooden connection between that and the chair (between your legs ) and attached just under the seat with 2 screws . The joints in the wood are at unusual angles but it works fine. Basic mortise and tenon technology. It`s been around for years . Some birch plywood takes care of the odd shapes and angles . The main support is adjustable for height.( 2 bolts ) All home made but easy to do. It`s Ergonomic too. Good for the back and the posterior.
amezcua

Postby Derek Arvidson » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:51 am

Ordered a child sized Tenuto for my girls 1/2 sized guitar. I liked it and ordered a full sized one for myself. Arived in time so that I could use it after my surgery. Much more comfortable to practice without any twisting or extra tension in the abdomen where the surgery was done. I like my guitar support very much!!

Derek
Derek Arvidson

Postby Pierre330 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:09 pm

Anyone have comparisons of the Tenuto to the Ergoplay? I currently use the Tappert model but I'm thinking about getting another support and am just wondering how they compare.
Pierre

A painter paints pictures on canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence. - Leopold Stokowski
Pierre330

Postby Malcolm Kavalsky » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:12 pm

Pierre330 wrote:Anyone have comparisons of the Tenuto to the Ergoplay? I currently use the Tappert model but I'm thinking about getting another support and am just wondering how they compare.

I have an Ergoplay, Gitano and just received the Tenuto.

My first support was the Gitano which I liked very much, but it did tend to pop off whenever I was under pressure , probably since I would be squeezing down on the guitar to hard. This prompted me to get the Ergoplay which is very stable but was a bit too intrusive and non-portable. I also couldn't get it feeling comfortable even with multiple adjustments, and in the end went back to using the Gitano.

The Tenuto seems to fix the problems that I had with the Gitano and feels much more stable. So for the moment this looks to be my holy grail of guitar supports.
No pain, no pain.

Check out my free mobile app JustPractice for iPhone and Android. Click on the website below my avatar for details.
Malcolm Kavalsky

Postby Pierre330 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:16 pm

I just ordered the Tenuto pro last night! I should have it in about a week.

Not sure what feature makes this version "pro"... But it looked good:-/
Pierre

A painter paints pictures on canvas, but musicians paint their pictures on silence. - Leopold Stokowski
Pierre330

Tenuto Guitar Support - WOW!

Postby jffarraro » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:49 pm

I have recently been through the range with almost all of the suction cup type devices. I will say it took weeks to evaluate them and the use of a mirror is critical.

With the Gitano, aside from its very cheap construction, the guitar was shifted too far to the left resulting in a need to more steeply angle the neck. It put the sound hole over my left rib cage as opposed to center. It also sat the guitar too low for me.

I tried both of the ergo plays- the base model worked, moved the sound hole over the centerline of my body, but sat the guitar too low.

The higher end ergo play with all the adjustments sat the sound hole too far to the right and placed the guitar too high, in fact I thought it was resting on my chin at one point.

The tenuto pro seems to put the guitar where it needs to be and is quickly height adjustable, which is great because the needed height depends on the chair.

The key to figuring a proper support out is to sit in front of a mirror and find what will put the guitar where you need it, i.e. your major joints are all about mid range for 90% of your playing ( no twisting, or dropping of shoulders etc.). This can take hours to explore with the adjustable supports.

I would also suggest you buy all of them at once or have some you can borrow. You really need the ability to change them out on the spot while your looking at effect on position in a mirror. The bad news is I spent almost 300 on supports, the good news is I have exactly what I need. I'm in the process of selling the supports that don't work for me. I will also say the build quality of the tenuto is fantastic compared to to the Gitano and the pro version has just the right amount of adjustability for me.

J

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
jffarraro

Previous

Return to Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists