Arm rest

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
rojarosguitar

Arm rest

Postby rojarosguitar » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:04 am

Hello everybody.

Are there any suggestions about an additional arm rest for the right arm?

I've got two models (one no name and one plenosom arm rest). Both function with three sucction cups.

I like to use them very much - it's comfortable and the sound of the guitar is noticeably more open, as there is less damping.

My problem is only that they both do not stay well on my french polished guitar - the surface seems to be not even enough. I tried also some selfadhesive foils, but they develop air bumps and then it's over again.

Any suggestion will be appreciated. Maybe another system?

bestwishes
R
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

wianno

Re: Arm rest

Postby wianno » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:47 am

R,

I installed a new arm rest today that certainly beats both the built-in types as well as the suction cup and clamp models. I got it from Kris Barnett, a luthier based in Atlanta, Georgia (USA), who built it based on a tracing that I made of the lower bout my guitar body. What makes rest this unique is that it is held in place by powerful rare earth magnets, yet can easily be removed for storage in my guitar case. Re-installation takes about two (yes, 2) seconds.

Here is the method of initial installation, which amounts to getting two magnets in place inside the guitar.

http://www.krisbarnettguitars.com/pages ... tions.html

My two pictures show the arm rest installed and stored in the case, where it normally would be wrapped in a soft cloth.

I may be imagining this, but it seems that the volume and sustain of the instrument has changed for the better. Because I have long arms, I felt that an arm rest might help to position my hand better and more comfortably over the strings. This proves to be the case.

Jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nulla nisi ardua virtus ... Ovid

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:00 am

Thank you very much for quick response. I'll check that out more closely ...

best wishes
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

goni

Postby goni » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:31 pm

I second the Kris Barnett armrest.
Bought it used from a fellow Delcamper. It looks exactly like wianno's and works great. I didn't know he was manufacturing them on demand.
I haven't attached it permanently (haven't stuck the magnets with putty inside the guitar) so I leave it on. Every couple of months I remove it to clean under it. And it looks great as opposed to the suction cups ones.

Regards

Gonzalo
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.

Olarte

Postby Olarte » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:23 pm

wianno wrote:R,

I installed a new arm rest today that certainly beats both the built-in types as well as the suction cup and clamp models. I got it from Kris Barnett, a luthier based in Atlanta, Georgia (USA), who built it based on a tracing that I made of the lower bout my guitar body. What makes rest this unique is that it is held in place by powerful rare earth magnets, yet can easily be removed for storage in my guitar case. Re-installation takes about two (yes, 2) seconds.

Here is the method of initial installation, which amounts to getting two magnets in place inside the guitar.

http://www.krisbarnettguitars.com/pages ... tions.html

My two pictures show the arm rest installed and stored in the case, where it normally would be wrapped in a soft cloth.

I may be imagining this, but it seems that the volume and sustain of the instrument has changed for the better. Because I have long arms, I felt that an arm rest might help to position my hand better and more comfortably over the strings. This proves to be the case.

Jack

Hi Jack, thanks for posting this. I have a John Pearse one on my Cordoba and while it looks ok on the Cordoba due to it being cutaway etc, I would not put that on my Clarita. However the one you have is much more in line with the aesthetics of my beloved CedartTop Clarita. I might have to check this out as I did like using an armrest on my Cordoba.
Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
The Journey is the reward...

2007 - Antonio Loriente "Clarita" Cedar Top\Indian Rosewood - Ergoplay Troster, Hiscox Liteflite Pro II case

bastian8021

Postby bastian8021 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:59 am

Hi!

I have also a polished guitar so the surface is quite sensitive for sweat or constant touching/moving.
After i tried some one of these arm-rests i dont feel comfortable, because the arm is a bit too high now. I dont want to adept to this position, so i dont use it...

Bastian

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:50 am

Hi Bastian, what kind of arm rest did you use?

wianno

Postby wianno » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:59 pm

Bastian,

My new Barnett arm rest elevates the part of the arm that ordinarily might rest on the binding by about 14 mm. Is this too much?

Jack

bastian8021

Postby bastian8021 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:48 am

wianno wrote:Bastian,

My new Barnett arm rest elevates the part of the arm that ordinarily might rest on the binding by about 14 mm. Is this too much?

Jack

Hi!

I was trying some different types and shapes, but as i said, it felt quite strange. Like a new feeling, i dont want to risk to change any position or movement of my right hand just because of that arm-rest.
Especially the stringcrossings playing rest stroke and the slightly shifting while playing arpeggios.

So now i just cut some old socks, this is also working for me. However it doesnt look that great, haha

Bastian

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:53 pm

I personally don't mind elavating my arm, my technique isn't that consolidated anyway, and my arms are long - the improvement of sound and comfort seems beeing worth it to me ...

best wishes
Robert

Intune

Postby Intune » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Wianno wrote:
What makes this armrest unique is that it is held in place by powerful rare earth magnets."

Are you sure that having a "powerful rare earth" magnetic field so close to your heart for many years to come is a good idea? Who knows what disturbing findings the medical researchers will come up with down the road?

....Only kidding! Sounds like a great idea.

Intune
Last edited by Intune on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intune
2010 Andres Marvi (cedar/Madagascar rosewood)

"...beware of all enterprises that require new clothes..." -- H.D. Thoreau

wianno

Postby wianno » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:45 pm

Intune,

Your point is well taken and worth some serious research. I'll report on my findings.

Jack

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:52 pm

Intune wrote:Are you sure that having a "powerful rare earth" magnetic field so close to your heart for many years to come is a good idea? Who knows what disturbing findings the medical researchers will come up with down the road?

....Only kidding! Sounds like a great idea.

Intune

Life is finite anyway and we'll have to die frome some unwelcome causes ... the big rare magnets can be - who knows - one of those reasons, they also could be the secret behind our longevity. Meanwhile we're alive and if our life and playing improves thanks to a fantastic arm rest held in place by big rare earth magnets, I'd go for that ... :wink:

Olarte

Postby Olarte » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:45 pm

Well I talked to Kris Barnett, and have ordered one for my beloved "Clarita" it should arrive next week, and I will be sure to post some pix, and a short review.
Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
The Journey is the reward...

2007 - Antonio Loriente "Clarita" Cedar Top\Indian Rosewood - Ergoplay Troster, Hiscox Liteflite Pro II case

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:53 pm

I also just ordered one from Kris Barnett for my Baarslag and hope it'll arrive soon.
I'll keep you posted as sooun as I have used it.
The communication was very easy and making fast.

best wishes to everybody

Olarte wrote:Well I talked to Kris Barnett, and have ordered one for my beloved "Clarita" it should arrive next week, and I will be sure to post some pix, and a short review.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”