Arm rest

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...

Re: Arm rest

Postby rojarosguitar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:19 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:There is a very slight damping of the guitar as compared to not touching the guitar at all with the right forearm (which is what some players do) but very much less as compared to the situation without the arm rest.

I have now played the arm rest by Kris Barnett for few days and it kind of became an integrated part of the guitar; I barely recognize it's there at all, it feels so natural to have it there.
I did some more close research in the damping issue. As I wrote (see quotation) the comparison was with not touching the lower bout at all.

If I compare playing with or without the arm rest, the situation just the opposite: without the arm rest much more damping and much closer sound than with the arm rest. It's really a big improvement.

Ergonomically I coud imagine some imprvements to the construction: the rim could be less thick, the edge could be even more rounded; but these are minute details; this arm rest certainly is far above any other three I had ever tried before. The price is not small but still fair. Rare Earth magnets are already quite expensive, too. Thanks to Kris!

best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:31 pm

And thanks rojaros, that is exactly what I needed to hear. My Plenosom is also too short, doesn't fit my plantilla exactly and less stable than I'd like. I wanted to get away from suction cups and try this magnet approach but if it impedes the top even slightly, it's a deal breaker for me. I'm going to try the Mukava armrest next. Looks like it may be more stable and hopefully a bit longer than the plenosom.

Hi, I think this is some misunderstanding. If you consider buying an armrestc then you're definitely not a player who plays with an unsupported right arm and who is not touching the lower bout at all. In all other cases you'll have much less damping than without the armrest. The plenosom might give maybe even a bit less damping, probably just due to the sucction cups (they also dampen the upper rib a bit less). I think, judging from looking, that Kris Barnetts arm rest is much better (functionally, not to speak about esthetics) than the other one showed in the picture.
Also it doesn't look really bigger than plenosom and it sits in the wrong place! And I'd really check out before buying, what these three brass screws are meant for and where they actually go? Into the rib? :x

Really, I'm very satisfied with Kris Barnetts work!

best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
rojarosguitar

Postby Olarte » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:53 pm

rojarosguitar wrote: And thanks rojaros, that is exactly what I needed to hear. My Plenosom is also too short, doesn't fit my plantilla exactly and less stable than I'd like. I wanted to get away from suction cups and try this magnet approach but if it impedes the top even slightly, it's a deal breaker for me. I'm going to try the Mukava armrest next. Looks like it may be more stable and hopefully a bit longer than the plenosom.

Hi, I think this is some misunderstanding. If you consider buying an armrestc then you're definitely not a player who plays with an unsupported right arm and who is not touching the lower bout at all. In all other cases you'll have much less damping than without the armrest. The plenosom might give maybe even a bit less damping, probably just due to the sucction cups (they also dampen the upper rib a bit less). I think, judging from looking, that Kris Barnetts arm rest is much better (functionally, not to speak about esthetics) than the other one showed in the picture.
Also it doesn't look really bigger than plenosom and it sits in the wrong place! And I'd really check out before buying, what these three brass screws are meant for and where they actually go? Into the rib? :x

Really, I'm very satisfied with Kris Barnetts work!

best wishes
Robert

I agree, I have a John Pearse armrest on the Cordoba and that is glued to the binding on the front. And while that's good on that guitar, I absolutely recommend Kris Barnett's arm rest over any other except for one built with the guitar.

I don't find that it dampens the guitar at all by the tiny inserts of wood that do touch the binding. I find it very comfortable to use and it makes the guitar even more beautiful rather than the other type of supports that I have researched.

And as Mentioned, Kris is very agreeable and in fact made mine about an inch longer on each side just the way I wanted it. It sure beats wearing a sock, playing without touching the lower bout, or having a 3rd party "eye sore" glued, or suctioned to your guitar.

Ivan
:guitare:
Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
The Journey is the reward...

2007 - Antonio Loriente "Clarita" Cedar Top\Indian Rosewood - Ergoplay Troster, Hiscox Liteflite Pro II case
Olarte

Postby choros » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:30 pm

Yes, you guys are right. I did some testing with damping the area around my binding while playing and find it shouldn't dampen the top using one of Kris' armrests. I may eventually (probably sooner than later) contact Kris and look into one. I've got two more guitars on order, one should be done in a couple months so I'm trying to wait it out...
choros

Postby Olarte » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:46 pm

choros wrote:Yes, you guys are right. I did some testing with damping the area around my binding while playing and find it shouldn't dampen the top using one of Kris' armrests. I may eventually (probably sooner than later) contact Kris and look into one. I've got two more guitars on order, one should be done in a couple months so I'm trying to wait it out...

Well if it's for the new guitars you will need to wait until you get them as you need to send Kris a tracing of the guitar. It will like a glove!

Ivan
Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
The Journey is the reward...

2007 - Antonio Loriente "Clarita" Cedar Top\Indian Rosewood - Ergoplay Troster, Hiscox Liteflite Pro II case
Olarte

Postby Taloy54 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:13 am

I have custom made Philippine ebony armrests with a rounder cross section on my guitars and they prevent my right hand from numb after minutes of playing...
Taloy54

Postby Taloy54 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:18 am

Would any of the luthiers have any input if the size and weight (within reason) of the arm rest matters? I was thinking that it does not, considering it is attached to a passive zone of the guitar..
Taloy54

Postby mandarin » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:52 am

Taloy54 wrote:I have custom made Philippine ebony armrests with a rounder cross section on my guitars and they prevent my right hand from numb after minutes of playing...

hi taloy54

im interested to check out your custom made arm rest. Im planning to have one as well. Hope to see you at the festival next week

regards
Joseph Ramos
Manila, Philippines
mandarin

Postby rojarosguitar » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:53 pm

choros wrote:.... I'm going to try the Mukava armrest next. Looks like it may be more stable and hopefully a bit longer than the plenosom. Thanks. :D

http://www.kantareguitars.com/in/index.php?section=36

Hi Choros, did you buy the Mukave Armrest? How does it work for you?

best wishes
Robert
rojarosguitar

Postby luckycanine » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:43 am

Hi, wondered if you have tried removing the pearse armrest (which has a double sided tape adhesion) with a French Polish top? I have heard you can remove it without too much of a problem with other finishes on non classical guitars, exactly how, I am not sure. Thanks, Wally

Hi Jack, thanks for posting this. I have a John Pearse one on my Cordoba and while it looks ok on the Cordoba due to it being cutaway etc, I would not put that on my Clarita. However the one you have is much more in line with the aesthetics of my beloved CedartTop Clarita. I might have to check this out as I did like using an armrest on my Cordoba.[/quote]
luckycanine

Previous

Return to Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists