How to correctly use the Dynarette cushion.

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...

Re: How to correctly use the Dynarette cushion.

Postby silvastudio » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:49 pm

I have the Dynarette, large cushion and love it. Seems like I can play with less fatigue when I use it.
silvastudio

Postby Vlad Kosulin » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:17 pm

Dynarette is great product.
The only issue - it squeaks. Some microfiber cover would be a great add-on. And if it was inflatable for easier storage...
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)
Vlad Kosulin

Postby Sean » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:52 pm

Vlad, I agree about the noise. Recording while using a Dynarette is always an adventure, especially when the end result sounds like someone passing gas . . . TTTHTHHTHTH
Sean

Postby arran1810 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:57 am

Vlad Kosulin wrote:Dynarette is great product.
The only issue - it squeaks. Some microfiber cover would be a great add-on. And if it was inflatable for easier storage...

I have solved the squeak problem by using a piece of the rubbery drawer liner material both under the dynarette and on top of it. It has the additional advantage of making the whole thing more stable.
arran1810

Postby jaylynch » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:06 pm

I bought a small Dynarette & it seemed to work fine. Recently I tried the larger size & I like it better. It positions the guitar a little higher which I like. BTW, I'm 5' 8". My teacher who is using my smaller cushion is 6' +. He likes the smaller cushion, so far.
jaylynch

Postby Kent » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:32 pm

Unless you are under 5 Feet, I recommend the large size. Even then, most have commented that they still use a little lift for their leg to get the correct height. I wish they made a Large-Large!
I like to use a Microfiber cloth folded across the top of the cushion to avoid contact noise with the cushion. It also helps keep the guitar from contact with the synthetic covering they use.
The cushion is worth the purchase cost for sure. They last forever.
Kent

Postby ScottK89 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:28 pm

One thing I experienced (started using one last summer when my back was bothering me), was that the guitar felt a little unstable until I had been using it for quite a while- maybe six months.

I also feel like another inch or two higher would be ideal, but that it might decrease the stability. I have sometimes used a short footstool *and* the cushion.
ScottK89

Postby Aaron Elkins » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:35 pm

I don't know, folks....I've been thinking about getting a Dynarette for a while now; prefer not to have to attach and dis-attach the suction cups that come with other supports. But after reading these posts I'm rethinking things.

I mean, I thought the reason one used the thing was to get rid of the footstool and assume a healthier, more comfortable posture. But now I see that, for many people, it involves a cloth to keep it from slipping, another cloth to mute the squeaks, and . . . A FOOT STOOL! Sounds like more fuss than it's worth.

I believe I'll just stick with the foot stool after all.
Aaron
Aaron Elkins

Postby Supperconductor » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:03 pm

Aaron Elkins wrote:I don't know, folks....I've been thinking about getting a Dynarette for a while now; prefer not to have to attach and dis-attach the suction cups that come with other supports. But after reading these posts I'm rethinking things.

I mean, I thought the reason one used the thing was to get rid of the footstool and assume a healthier, more comfortable posture. But now I see that, for many people, it involves a cloth to keep it from slipping, another cloth to mute the squeaks, and . . . A FOOT STOOL! Sounds like more fuss than it's worth.

Hi Aaron,

I came to the same conclusion after buying the Dynarette. I just wound up preferring the stability of the footstool. My De Oro Guitarest just arrived, so I'm about to try that.
- Kam

2012 Hippner Hauser SP/IR
[Savarez Corum 500R Normal Basses
La Bella RN-L Rectified Nylon Light Trebles]
Supperconductor

Postby Aaron Elkins » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:20 pm

Be interested in learning your reaction to the DeOro, Kam...it's sure been getting a lot of attention in these forums.
Aaron
Aaron Elkins

Postby Vlad Kosulin » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:03 pm

Aaron Elkins wrote:I don't know, folks....I've been thinking about getting a Dynarette for a while now; prefer not to have to attach and dis-attach the suction cups that come with other supports. But after reading these posts I'm rethinking things.

The new Dynarette has neoprene strip which eliminates slippage for me (I use it with polyester, cotton or wool pants).
I do not use foot stool.
Squeaks - yes, you need some workaround if this is critical, such as when recording CD, but I am not from this league ;-)

Dynarette is very convenient compared to supports with suction cups, and is at least as safe as these.
Foot stool is safe, less convenient, and may cause health issues.
Suction cup supports are cumbersome, take time to install and remove, can damage finish, but introduce no noise (except when suction cup fails, and guitar or support falls down :lol:).
I would say that suction cup supports are #1 for those who are ready to sacrifice convenience for the sound, footstool is #1 for those who are willing to sacrifice their health for the sound, and Dynarette is #1 for the rest :D
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)
Vlad Kosulin

Postby Supperconductor » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:43 pm

Aaron Elkins wrote:Be interested in learning your reaction to the DeOro, Kam...it's sure been getting a lot of attention in these forums.

I finally got a chance to use the DeOro and my very initial impression is that I love it. So far it is very stable but I haven't quite found the perfect position (pretty close though). I'll report further impressions in the DeOro thread after the newness of the experience wears off a bit.

Mod Edit: the De Oro thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=63325&p=691921
- Kam

2012 Hippner Hauser SP/IR
[Savarez Corum 500R Normal Basses
La Bella RN-L Rectified Nylon Light Trebles]
Supperconductor

Postby Jose-Guitarra8a » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:17 am

arran1810 wrote:
Vlad Kosulin wrote:Dynarette is great product.

I have solved the squeak problem by using a piece of the rubbery drawer liner material both under the dynarette and on top of it. It has the additional advantage of making the whole thing more stable.

I used you idea of using the rubbery liner material and my Dynarette is stable without the noises. :bravo: :merci:
1989 Paul Jacobson Cedar/Brazilian
2002 Robert Desmond Spruce/Brazilian
2011 Jason Wolverton Spruce/Maple
Jose-Guitarra8a

Postby jaradgiese » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:37 pm

Even the large dynarette is too small for me - depending on your body proportions it may be the product and not something you are doing wrong. I'm 6'3" and wish there was an extra large size for this product.
jaradgiese

Postby davinci » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:42 am

I'm 168cm tall and going to use Dynarette on my RIGHT thigh instead of left.

Should I use Large or Small? Any kind advice greatly appreciated.
davinci

PreviousNext

Return to Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists