shoulder pain! Maybe It's my posture? Need help.

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
AndreiKrylov

Re: shoulder pain! Maybe It's my posture? Need help.

Postby AndreiKrylov » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:33 pm

Last edited by AndreiKrylov on Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Luis_Br

Postby Luis_Br » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:59 pm

Nice, we are just discussing advantages and disadvantages.
AndreiKrylov wrote:It is just curious - if sitting position is that good for 99% guitarists here, than why here are so many people with back, shoulders and other related problems?

I think because playing the guitar is not a natural thing.
I know a lot of pop players who play standing up with back/shoulder and several other problems too...
So I don't know how much problems are this correlated with being standing up or sit, but statistics will see both bad and good players. I think good players can do it right both sitting or standing up...

AndreiKrylov

Postby AndreiKrylov » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm not going to continue this theme. It seems like everybody else want to play in sitting position.
I see that my activities on this forum and in this subject are just waste of my time. I shared my position and ideas and that's enough.
Good luck with guitar playing sitting, standing, flying whatever anybody likes! :)
Enjoy music! My best wishes for all!
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Luis_Br

Postby Luis_Br » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Thank you for sharing your ideas with us.

Raj Kumar

Postby Raj Kumar » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:21 am

Good to come across this topic..Prior to learning classical music,I have been playing some chords on different strumming patterns where my guitar neck was parallel to the floor.I had no discomfort or pain until recently when i changed my posture to classical guitar style,I feel soreness and extreme discomfort on my left shoulder joints now for the past few days.Do you guys recommend playing my classical guitar on my right leg like ricardo gallen?would that have any other impact in music quality or right wrist ergonomic?i'm still in beginner level and trying my best to avoid picking any bad habit in this stage.settling with the right posture is my ultimate goal right now. :merci:

Tonyyyyy

Postby Tonyyyyy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:05 pm

I have been getting shoulder tension lately - and looking for a magic cure I found this interesting thread from a while back- quite a bit of useful knowledge and links so I thought it worth bumping.

I hope the OP has continued in moving towards permanent pain-free guitar playing

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:43 pm

The most effective exercise that I've found are these 'wall angels' :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFVA0Ixk4hk

I do them slightly different in that I start at the quarter to three position and hold the arms there for 5 seconds or so. I then move up to the ten to two position, five to one and finally the twelve 'O' clock. I really try to reach/stretch out with the hands. I just do one or two, perhaps five times spread through the day. After doing these my shoulders always feel a lot lighter.
I've suffered huge amounts of upper back pain over many years, with nasty muscle knots. That led to numbness in the arms/hands. Not playing and months of rest from the Guitar was the only way of alleviating the pain. Doing the wall angels, over a period of 3 months or so, seems to have altered my posture whilst playing. I'm pretty sure my shoulders were closing in on the Guitar, with the right arm bearing down too heavily on the lower bout. Now my chest feels much more open, the right arm free and the shoulders in a much more neutral position.
Try them. If you find the exercise difficult, ease your way into them. Each day it should get a touch easier. Make sure everything is pinned back against the wall, including your head.
Historicalguitars.

Tonyyyyy

Postby Tonyyyyy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:32 pm

Not easy. Initially finding enough wall space in a cluttered dwelling. I had to relocate downstairs to the communal hallway.
Yes it is surprisingly tough. I realised that my right shoulder did not really want to go against the wall. That is very worth knowing. I think the exercise would in time help release various tensions and increase awareness

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:40 pm

Some find it remarkably easy. They tend to be under 16 ! It was my left shoulder that didn't want to go against the wall. There are other exercises that may help and that don't need a wall. Give it time. You might not see the full benefits for a couple of months. It might be worth doing a couple before and after each practice session.
It may also help with the forward head posture, which does tend to happen as we age.
Historicalguitars.

Tonyyyyy

Postby Tonyyyyy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:21 am

lagartija wrote:... you might find it useful to take a look at this section on ergonomics.
After reading the overview, you can go here and it will show pictures of guitar holding positions from various angles. Notice the picture from the back and the position of the shoulder blades. Also take note of the position of the pelvis in the side view...

Good links, and interesting articles

Tonyyyyy

Postby Tonyyyyy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:41 pm

For anyone concerned with injury, this site is a really good starting point, with links on a wide range of topics

http://rsi.unl.edu/music.html

ronjazz

Postby ronjazz » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:38 am

Barbara Conable's little book "What Every Musician Needs To Know about the Body" is titled perfectly. If you are experiencing discomfort that is distracting or painful, you're doing it wrong, generally because most of us know so little about the mechanism of the real instrument, which is the player. I played professionally full-time, doing a lot of "commercial" classical guitar gigs and occasional concerts, making CDs, etc., then got hit my focal dystonia, a neurological disaster that is caused by not knowing how your systems work. Just a word to the wise, or you'll spend years rebuilding what you lost.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”