Solution to back problems from foot stool use

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...

Re: Solution to back problems from foot stool use

Postby robin loops » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:17 am

Well, apparently you haven't seen the studies that talk about the dangers of prolonged standing. Nor any of the studies or books done specifically related to guitar playing. Also Wikipedia is written by people like you and I and is in no way a reliable source of information for anything.

At any rate it's not all about the back (unless someone has back issues). Using classical technique incorporates many parts of the body, the legs, back, arms and like everything else with classical guitar technique there are trade offs. the idea is to balance the stress to different areas as to not over-stress any particular one. While standing will alleviate back issues (so will playing with guitar centered over the right leg instead of the left) it also causes most of the tension/stress to be taken by the hands and shoulders. I'm all for standing while playing flamenco or rock or other styles of music (mostly chord based styles) but with the radical stretches and stress that the classical repertoire requires of the right hand, standing is not only bad advice for beginners it's reckless. And if anyone were to take your 'expert opinion' and end up with carpal tunnel syndrome, could possibly open you up to liability, since you state these things claiming to be an 'expert' on the subject. And just an example of the absurdity of it, do you also recommend that race car drivers modify their cars so as to drive long races standing up, based on your research of studie that show sitting for prolonged periods of time is bad?

I'm not implying I play better than you or even know more about it all than you do but I do doubt very seriously that your ability and knowledge surpasses that of Andres Segovia, Narcisco Yepes, John Williams, Manuel Barjueco, Julian Bream, Francisco Tarrega, and so on and not one of them plays standing or advocates it. Nor do any of these folks
http://www.oberlin.edu/newserv/05sep/gu ... ntion.html.

Although Paul Galbraith, Stanley Yates, Antigoni Goni, Dominic Frasc do take a slightly different apporoack to holding the guitar, not one of them plays standing. As far as i can tell from your youtube, neither do you when playing pieces from the classical repotoire. From what I could see, other than your flamenco and jazz pieces (awesome stuff by the way), you play sitting with a FOOTSTOOL! And even if you do play classical standing (although not reflected in your youtube videos) I suggest trying this with a few Augustin Barrios peices (very demanding right hand stretches) and see how long that lasts.

Again I think standing is best for many musical styles but if I'm not going to argue the importance of standing while playing rock music on a classical guitar forum. Whether it's played on a Spanish guitar or not. But it's also worth mentioning that when referring to the 'classical' guitar, this refers more the the style in which it is played and the music chosen, as the actual name of the instrument is 'Spanish' guitar. Point being, if this forum were called Spanish guitar stylings, your argument may be more appropriate. The aggressive way you go about it wouldn't, nor would the belittling and backhanded insults. You stated (rudely) on another forum that you were going to give up this battle (and why one should feel the need to battle a point, I don't understand but to each his own). What happened to that idea? I mean, so people can actually have discussions about classical guitar technique and ways to improve on it. Rather than internet battles I'd expect to find on a sight for arrogant disc jockeys (sorry to anyone that deejays but if you've been on any of those sites you'll know what I mean).


I Don't think it's very cool to go on to every single post on this site regarding better ways to use a footstool (for those that aren't comfortable with supports, which are definitely a better option ergonimically to footstools) to attack, and berate people for doing it wrong. It's also is a little false to do so and then expect words like, well if it works for you then great, to smooth it over. Trolling forums and highjacking every attempt to have a discussion about better ways to use a footstool, is not only rude, it's against forum policy from what I understand. I could be wrong there, as I am new to the forum. Which leads me to another point. I joined this site to have intellectual discourse about classical guitar playing and technique, etc. And have since spent more time defending myself from a bully than anything else. A little ridiculous if you ask me.

Yes there are a lot of issues with back pain and people complain a lot about it and there are many threads (and even books) devoted to the theme, but if you look a little more you'll find there are just as many devoted to hand pain and leg pain. Again the idea is to find a more balanced approach and not to throw the baby out with the bathwater, Such as protecting against back pain at the risk of much greater problems. I've known people with such bad carpal tunnel they couldn't lift a glass and I'd venture to guess any one of them would have traded that for some minor back discomfort. As far as memory foam goes, just for the record it is working great for me and I mentioned because it keeps my leg from falling asleep or tingling (not as a solution to all discomfort). Why does it do this even though only my butt touches it? Because it allows better circulation! And guess what, it even helps with the back discomfort a bit. If you knew as much about anatomy as you claim to, you'd understand that the leg bone is connected to the thigh bone and so on and everything that happens in our bodies can have an effect on other parts of the body. Stress that starts at one muscle group has a way (and I'm not going to go into the specifics of how that works, you can search wikipedia for that one) of spreading to adjacent muscle groups and so on. So, even chewing gum helps me, because I am a teeth clencher. And guess what I feel the difference in my arms and hands when I chew gum.

Anyway I'm done with this argument, and would have never even given it my time in the first place if not for the fact that I had serious issues with my hands after a year or two of classical study becuase I was flipant about posture and the way I held the guitar. And just becuase one person got lucky and didn't get problems doesn't mean that some young kid (or other beginner taking your advice won't)... Oh and also because I despise bullying and thread highjacking regardless of how it's sugar coated by saying to each his own... thank you and have a good day sir.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-
User avatar
robin loops
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:57 am
Location: California

Re: Solution to back problems from foot stool use

Postby AndreiKrylov » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Dear Robin!
Thank you for your interest and thoughts about this subject!
Please note how I finished my last post about this:
P.S. I just listened the news and they say that it is about 60% or more people living in Australia, USA, UK overweight or obese... then yes - standing is not a solution for majority... sitting is definitely easier...and they say in the news that one of the reason people gain weight is sedentary lifestyle... circle ...yes, I'm in minority - it is so easy for me to stand with guitar or not... therefore unfortunately my solution for back pain is not a solution for majority of guitar players...
Therefore I really not in any way insisting that people “must stand” etc. or that standing with guitar is a solution for everybody… All information which I presented is from scientific sources and studies and in no way I presented myself as a kind of special expert or something like that.
I have my experience (43 years of playing), those studies and rational analysis of the subject that’s all…
If you found any studies about problems or health effects of prolonged standing/moving – that’s how I approach to it, not standing rigid like a telegraph pole, but always move a little, to feel yourself in relax and natural position. 
You wrote that playing while standing leads to carpal tunnel – please provide some reliable data and statistics about it – myself I never seen any studies like that and never had any problems like that in my 43 years of playing….
Yes I played a lot with footstool or support, but found that for me the best is standing/moving.
Yes I put videos of me on WWW playing classical music while sitting with the stool in tuxedo (which I hate as very inconvenient for guitar playing ) because that’s the way how it should look “normal” for classical guitarist  and I play from time to time in tuxedo because some places where I play or agents who provide me with work insist on it …and I can play sitting, no problem … but I normally play all same pieces standing… I put video later (I’m travelling now and it is not easy for me to make such a video)
About cars and standing - I would love to stand in my car (even it could seem absurd to you  ) because when I drive long distances and many hours I feel so much discomfort and I feel so tired and have a back pain and other pain, oh yes it would be great to stand (and move a little ) in the car, in airplane etc.
But unfortunately it is impossible because all cars made for sitting  .. because of aerodynamics… if car would be so high – then it would not stable on the road. Who knows – maybe in the future will cars like that…
I stand now with my computer, typing, (as I always do) I always wrote my poems while walking – I hate to sit at the table and write – walking in the beautiful park, mountains, or even city street I have a lot more inspiration! … I like to sit, but not like with guitar, but almost laying down, with full support for my back, at my house on the shore of the beautiful lake and watch the water or moon and stars at night…sometimes… but in general I love to walk, to move, to do something – I hate to sit .

You mentioned many great guitarists to whom I have a great respect like - Andres Segovia, Narcisco Yepes, John Williams, Manuel Barjueco, Julian Bream, Francisco Tarrega – but
I don’t understand why did you came to conclusion that I could think that my ability and knowledge surpasses them just because I think that it is more ergonomic to play in standing/moving position for the person no extra weight and no specific injuries and in a good shape in general ?
I have a very deep respect and admiration of Augustin Barrios, and I think I could play his music which you mentioned in standing/moving position, but please forgive me - unfortunately I have no time for that, because I have too much of work to do with my own music…
But as far as very demanding right hand stretches – please try for example to play some of my pieces (I use all 5 fingers of right hand most of the time – pimae) and I played and recorded it in standing/moving position…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWr2HXZXLzI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5uOf_axLQ0
As far as giving up that battle I just tired to discuss it with people who use irrational arguments which are not confirmed by any science or statistics (I mean medical in this case)
About my rudeness (as you described it) I’m sorry if it seems so – it is probably because I still thinking in Russian as I write in English and it is probably more like a cultural thing (as you wrote in other theme that Spanish are more direct? – Russians are more direct than spanish) anyway it is not my intention and I sincerely apologise if somebody felt so.
As far as long list of wonderful guitar players who all play in sitting position with footstool? I respect their choice, but I respectfully disagree with it and with argument that this fact will make sitting with footstool ergonomic …
Your idea about division between Classical guitar and Spanish guitar seems a kind of artificial for me…
I don’t know what do you mean about trolling or hijacking you are talking about , but I’m sure if I did something wrong on this nice forum then moderators will correct me and will let me know.
I never personally attack anybody here and it is incompatible with my understanding of discussion and I find it is strange if I disagree with your ideas about something in discussion and bring some scientific data in support of my views and some examples and comparisons this means that I attacked somebody…
As far as carpal tunnel and other things legs, feet problems which you mentioned in your post - please bring me Data, statistics, proof about connection of standing/moving and those problems and maybe I’ll agree with you then. Myself I never experienced all that and did not see anything in reliable sources.
I never claimed to be a specialist in anatomy, I’m guitarist/composer/poet with some rational thoughts sometimes… :) but there are lots of scientific data available for anybody to think about this subject for themselves. I started to play standing long time ago just because I felt it is more convenient for me, relieve me from my pain and because I don’t like sitting lifestyle in general…
I think it is a bit to do with the way of thinking in general – I always lived in the world there you should analyze things and do not have just blind faith in some words authorities, also I’m a kind of left handed person - I mean my brain is identical to left handed because my main eye and ear are left and that’s why the way of my thoughts is probably little bit non standard 
To conclude all this here is my proof about sitting :
http://www.npr.org/2011/04/25/135575490 ... ight-think
http://www.geekosystem.com/sitting-health-dangers/
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... inglepage/
please bring here links about dangers of standing/moving walking (because that what I’m talking about) it will be interesting to see.
And - Yes I agree - you could improve your sitting, but you could not make it ergonomic... but if you choose sitting - then good for you! Enjoy your guitar playing!
And yes, there are many people who could not stand by health reasons, car accidents, extra weight, etc. so sitting for them is good solution for their love to guitar music ! I agree on 100%.
But for average person with no above described health problems the "Solution to back problems from foot stool use" just to get rid of footstool completely and play standing/moving, or at least with guitar support.

Again: - P.S. I just listened the news and they say that it is about 60% or more people living in Australia, USA, UK overweight or obese... then yes - standing is not a solution for majority... sitting is definitely easier...and they say in the news that one of the reason people gain weight is sedentary lifestyle... circle ...yes, I'm in minority - it is so easy for me to stand with guitar or not... therefore unfortunately my solution for back pain is not a solution for majority of guitar players...
And all this a personal choice! Everybody is free to do how they like it! All I’m talking about is another option. That’s all.
Good luck! Enjoy your guitar journey!
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
User avatar
AndreiKrylov
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico

Re: Solution to back problems from foot stool use

Postby robin loops » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:46 am

"About my rudeness (as you described it) I’m sorry if it seems so – it is probably because I still thinking in Russian as I write in English and it is probably more like a cultural thing (as you wrote in other theme that Spanish are more direct? – Russians are more direct than spanish) anyway it is not my intention and I sincerely apologise if somebody felt so."

Funny you should mention that comment (about the Spanish), because I thought about this discussion as soon as I wrote it.
Apology accepted and I apologize too, for jumping to conclusions and not considering the language/cultural differences in regards to communication. You will notice that I often start sentences off with expressions like, "in my opinion" or "what works for me..." etc. with the idea that someone can take it or leave it . When I taught English in Spain this was even something we would study/practice and I'm sorry for not being more sensitive about it. In my defense it has been several years since then and also I may have been a little touchy as there are a few sites I no longer post on due to getting really tired of major attitude being thrown around.

I'm not going to try to convince you that sitting is better than standing because for one, that's not my style. I put it out there and one can take or leave it, that is their choice. And for another, especially after reading your last post I see that the things that led you to the conclusion that standing is better for your personal needs are nearly the same as mine that sitting was best for me. And also that doing activities while standing is something you incorporate into your entire philosophy for living and therefore agree that it is probably the best choice for you. I also appreciate your point of view on this and, as I mentioned before, do stand for most other styles of playing. It just doesn't work for my hands when playing classical pieces. I think this is a good example of one of the most important elements of learning guitar (or anything else for that matter) in that one must find what works best for them given their own body type, size shape, hand size, etc. to maximize each individual's strengths and avoid the pitfalls (limitations) of one's weaknesses (bad back, weight issues, issues with tendons etc.). It's always about finding a balance and of course, doing what is the most comfortable for you that is going to yield the best results.

I still don't agree that standing for classical study is advisable for most people but I appreciate your passion on the subject (I am very much the same way). So we'll just agree to disagree.

I noticed you were recently in San Francisco (almost my neck of the woods. I live a few hours north) I hope you had a nice time here in the sunny state (too bad you weren't here for the spring time when the weather is incredible) and that you were well received. I'd be really interested to hear about your trip and take on America (careful what you ask for right?). Please post a thread about your journey (P.M. me if I don't happen across it on my own)
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-
User avatar
robin loops
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:57 am
Location: California

Re: Solution to back problems from foot stool use

Postby AndreiKrylov » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks for your posts and interest to this subject. I apologize that I took part in this discussion and if my posts seems rude it was not my intention. I appreciate your opinion and the way you enjoy playing guitar. That's most important for you. Let everybody do what they like. I'm not interested to continue this subject. People (guitarists) free to do whatever they like and how they like it. I mistakenly thought that I could help with my experience, advice and rational look (as it seemed to me :))at the subject to somebody, but it just seems like it is only leading to confrontation and disappointment... I would rather play guitar and compose music - it is lot more rewarding! :) Good luck and all the best in your guitar playing!
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
User avatar
AndreiKrylov
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico

Re: Solution to back problems from foot stool use

Postby clarksvilleal » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:10 am

I am over 60, with lower back problems due to disc deterioration. I was having a lot of trouble practicing for more than 15 minutes at a time due to back discomfort. I first tried the Dynarette, and did not like it at all. It felt insecure and I just couldn't seem to get the guitar into the right position with it. So I went back to the footstool for a little while until my teacher suggested the Murata GR-2B, a guitar rest that one of his other students used and swore by.

I have now been using the GR-2B for over a year and I love it. I can now practice for an hour or more straight with no discomfort. I will never go back to a footstool again. The GR-2B is a little pricey - $77.99 at stringsbymail, but it is very adjustable, clamps securely to the guitar without doing any damage, and feels solid and just perfect for me when I use it.

Here is a link so you can see what it looks like:

Mod Edit: commercial link removed
clarksvilleal
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:21 am
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Solution to back problems from foot stool use

Postby johninthesprings » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Just started playing classical style again after many years and of course the back aches after varying positions and lengths of time practicing. I do wonder about the height of the foot as compared to the distance between the knee and the guitar or the knee and the elbow. I think a guitar rest seems the most logical as it can be adjusted for any chair or foot condition you might come across. Any comments or suggestions for moderate priced and quality products out there?
johninthesprings
 

Re: Solution to back problems from foot stool use

Postby AndreiKrylov » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:21 pm

My question to 2 last contributors:
Did you try to play in standing/moving (almost walking) position with simple strap? You'll need a little time to adjust to this one, but then should be no pain in the back and you should be able to play much much longer periods of time without feeling tired or having any pain. It will not prevent you from sitting with guitar (stool or not) any time you would like, but you will be able to compare your feelings .. Maybe it will work for you? Maybe not... but you could try :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
User avatar
AndreiKrylov
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico

Re: Solution to back problems from foot stool use

Postby classykid817 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:57 pm

Hey all,

Without reading all of the walls of text above I can say that sitting properly with a foot stool is actually not as bad for your body as you would want to believe. Of course you have to sit properly, and not just proper for the back I also mean keeping the leg raised from the hip. I currently take classes with an Alexander's technique teacher and constantly pick her brain about things like this and she told me that as long as you keep the spine straight and bend from the hips it will be okay.

-Kenny
Sanque y Lagrima
classykid817
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Re: Solution to back problems from foot stool use

Postby AndreiKrylov » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:58 pm

classykid817 wrote:Hey all,

Without reading all of the walls of text above I can say that sitting properly with a foot stool is actually not as bad for your body as you would want to believe. Of course you have to sit properly, and not just proper for the back I also mean keeping the leg raised from the hip. I currently take classes with an Alexander's technique teacher and constantly pick her brain about things like this and she told me that as long as you keep the spine straight and bend from the hips it will be okay.

-Kenny


Therefore almost everybody sitting not properly, because they complain about pain?
I personally agree that someone could improve his way of sitting, and there are people for whom it is the only viable alternative. But where others who could at least try to play in standing/moving position ... why not to try it?
And please if it is possible, provide a link to any reliable, Scientific sources talking about benefits of sitting (proper sitting) for long periods of time in general.
Is it really very easy for someone to keep the spine straight for 4-5 hours?
You need to have very good muscles in the spine for that... it will be more hard with guitar... your muscles will naturally want to relax...
I search on WWW found few links about benefits of sitting .
Nothing from any reliable scientific or medical institutions....
Just private opinions and blogs or religious (not scientific) sources.

http://yoga-health-benefits.blogspot.co ... cises.html
It is good exercises! but does anybody do anything like that on chair with guitar?
Is it possible for average person to sit 4 hours (as we suppose to play on the guitar) in one, sitting yoga pose?


http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38385104/ns ... 05ijfH2aa8
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... inglepage/
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
User avatar
AndreiKrylov
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico

Re: Solution to back problems from foot stool use

Postby MatthiasYoung » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:36 pm

DerekH wrote:I often wonder about back pain with footstools.
I have to sit for 2 1/2 hours in concert when I play with my orchestra, and I never get back pain.

My secret?
I use a footstool.

I teach a lot, and though there ARE people with weak backs, a lot of those who get back pain get it because they lift the left leg by tilting the pelvis. As soon as the spine is curved, the muscles supporting it are in constant tension and these are responsible for a lot of the pain and twinges.

I used to ride a pedal cycle a lot, and you could see the cyclists riding in front of you divide into two camps - those who twisted their spine and those who sat perfectly still and let the hip joints do the work. I can pretty much predict which group got exhausted first.

If you have back pain, humour me with this experiment...
Sit on a chair and pretend to pedal a cycle, lifting and lowering alternate legs.
Set up your camera to take a short video of you from the rear.
If you get back pain from a footstool and if you see your spine move at all doing this, I think we have the root cause. My spine doesn't move at all.

I've noticed that myself—I tend to lean and then the back gets tired. Guess I'll add practicing sitting to my list! lol
MatthiasYoung
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: Solution to back problems from foot stool use

Postby classykid817 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:17 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
classykid817 wrote:Hey all,

Without reading all of the walls of text above I can say that sitting properly with a foot stool is actually not as bad for your body as you would want to believe. Of course you have to sit properly, and not just proper for the back I also mean keeping the leg raised from the hip. I currently take classes with an Alexander's technique teacher and constantly pick her brain about things like this and she told me that as long as you keep the spine straight and bend from the hips it will be okay.

-Kenny


Therefore almost everybody sitting not properly, because they complain about pain?
I personally agree that someone could improve his way of sitting, and there are people for whom it is the only viable alternative. But where others who could at least try to play in standing/moving position ... why not to try it?
And please if it is possible, provide a link to any reliable, Scientific sources talking about benefits of sitting (proper sitting) for long periods of time in general.
Is it really very easy for someone to keep the spine straight for 4-5 hours?
You need to have very good muscles in the spine for that... it will be more hard with guitar... your muscles will naturally want to relax...
I search on WWW found few links about benefits of sitting .
Nothing from any reliable scientific or medical institutions....
Just private opinions and blogs or religious (not scientific) sources.

http://yoga-health-benefits.blogspot.co ... cises.html
It is good exercises! but does anybody do anything like that on chair with guitar?
Is it possible for average person to sit 4 hours (as we suppose to play on the guitar) in one, sitting yoga pose?


http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38385104/ns ... 05ijfH2aa8
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... inglepage/


In my post I made no mention of whether sitting was good or bad for you, because I know that sitting for long periods of time isn't great for your body, however, I am telling you that sitting correctly is going to help during those periods of time we must sit during practice or life in general. Im not doubting your motive of standing either. I am a very active electric guitar player, as well as a classical guitar student at University, and I've stood for most of those electric guitar performances except the theater jobs I have done. From experience I can say that after standing for hours playing with the group my back hurt more then sitting and I had the guitar at a good height where I didn't have to bend to play. Granted the classical guitars are lighter but anything on your shoulders is eventually going to make you feel it.

You said "Therefore almost everybody sitting not properly, because they complain about pain?" and i'll respond yes, many more then you think are probably sitting incorrectly. It's is not directly the persons fault, but as children we are born with perfect posture. The body functions as it should and the head and spine remain in alignment in the correct position. As we get older however, the different interactions we have with the world around us can actually cause our posture to be corrupted without us even knowing. You pick up bad habits and do not realize the toll they take on your body until you begin to experience the pain.

The thing that concerns me about your post is that you say we should be able to sit for 4 hours, the same amount we are suppose to practice. No one should practice 4 straight hours (sitting or standing) for many reasons, however, you seem like the researching type so ill let you dig your way through the archives of information to find all of that.

In the end it all comes down to experimentation because in this world you cannot trust anyone, even "scientific resources" (they change too often and sometimes are scams in themselves). Try standing, try sitting, try a ergonomic support. I've done all of these and found that I play my best while sitting with a footstool. I hope you find what works for you.
Sanque y Lagrima
classykid817
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Re: Solution to back problems from foot stool use

Postby AndreiKrylov » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:44 pm

classykid817 wrote:
AndreiKrylov wrote:
classykid817 wrote:Hey all,

Without reading all of the walls of text above I can say that sitting properly with a foot stool is actually not as bad for your body as you would want to believe. Of course you have to sit properly, and not just proper for the back I also mean keeping the leg raised from the hip. I currently take classes with an Alexander's technique teacher and constantly pick her brain about things like this and she told me that as long as you keep the spine straight and bend from the hips it will be okay.

-Kenny


Therefore almost everybody sitting not properly, because they complain about pain?
I personally agree that someone could improve his way of sitting, and there are people for whom it is the only viable alternative. But where others who could at least try to play in standing/moving position ... why not to try it?
And please if it is possible, provide a link to any reliable, Scientific sources talking about benefits of sitting (proper sitting) for long periods of time in general.
Is it really very easy for someone to keep the spine straight for 4-5 hours?
You need to have very good muscles in the spine for that... it will be more hard with guitar... your muscles will naturally want to relax...
I search on WWW found few links about benefits of sitting .
Nothing from any reliable scientific or medical institutions....
Just private opinions and blogs or religious (not scientific) sources.

http://yoga-health-benefits.blogspot.co ... cises.html
It is good exercises! but does anybody do anything like that on chair with guitar?
Is it possible for average person to sit 4 hours (as we suppose to play on the guitar) in one, sitting yoga pose?


http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38385104/ns ... 05ijfH2aa8
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/hea ... inglepage/


In my post I made no mention of whether sitting was good or bad for you, because I know that sitting for long periods of time isn't great for your body, however, I am telling you that sitting correctly is going to help during those periods of time we must sit during practice or life in general. Im not doubting your motive of standing either. I am a very active electric guitar player, as well as a classical guitar student at University, and I've stood for most of those electric guitar performances except the theater jobs I have done. From experience I can say that after standing for hours playing with the group my back hurt more then sitting and I had the guitar at a good height where I didn't have to bend to play. Granted the classical guitars are lighter but anything on your shoulders is eventually going to make you feel it.

You said "Therefore almost everybody sitting not properly, because they complain about pain?" and i'll respond yes, many more then you think are probably sitting incorrectly. It's is not directly the persons fault, but as children we are born with perfect posture. The body functions as it should and the head and spine remain in alignment in the correct position. As we get older however, the different interactions we have with the world around us can actually cause our posture to be corrupted without us even knowing. You pick up bad habits and do not realize the toll they take on your body until you begin to experience the pain.

The thing that concerns me about your post is that you say we should be able to sit for 4 hours, the same amount we are suppose to practice. No one should practice 4 straight hours (sitting or standing) for many reasons, however, you seem like the researching type so ill let you dig your way through the archives of information to find all of that.

In the end it all comes down to experimentation because in this world you cannot trust anyone, even "scientific resources" (they change too often and sometimes are scams in themselves). Try standing, try sitting, try a ergonomic support. I've done all of these and found that I play my best while sitting with a footstool. I hope you find what works for you.

Thanks for good advice - *Try standing, try sitting, try a ergonomic support. *
I play mostly standing/moving, sometimes sitting, sometimes with support, but the best for me is standing/moving.
Yes people should try all those ways, but preferably without prejudice and considering all positive and rational things about it. Not do this because something like *They always do it like that therefore it is right.*
I'm not just playing guitar standing/moving, I work at the computer (lots of work) same way.
I'm not looking for solution for myself - I found it, a while ago...
It helps me a lot - to be productive and to do immense amount of work this way.
Good luck! :)
Good luck.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
User avatar
AndreiKrylov
 
Posts: 735
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:22 pm
Location: Canada, USA, Mexico

Re: Solution to back problems from foot stool use

Postby classykid817 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:49 pm

Thanks for good advice - *Try standing, try sitting, try a ergonomic support. *
I play mostly standing/moving, sometimes sitting, sometimes with support, but the best for me is standing/moving.
Yes people should try all those ways, but preferably without prejudice and considering all positive and rational things about it. Not do this because something like *They always do it like that therefore it is right.*
I'm not just playing guitar standing/moving, I work at the computer (lots of work) same way.
I'm not looking for solution for myself - I found it, a while ago...
It helps me a lot - to be productive and to do immense amount of work this way.
Good luck! :)
Good luck.


All we can do is support this forum by giving all sides of the story, unbiased although a lot of time with personal experience..thats why we are here. I sit at a computer a lot for homework so I feel your pain.

Best,
Kenny
Sanque y Lagrima
classykid817
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Previous

Return to Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 10 guests