Original Guitar Chair

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...

Original Guitar Chair

Postby integris2 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:50 pm

I just wanted to say that I purchased the Original Guitar Chair a few weeks ago and I'm absolutely loving it. I had been finding in recent months that I didn't play as well when I wasn't siting in my practice chair at my apartment (which was 19" high). The way my nails hit the strings felt totally different in shorter chairs, not to mention back pain. The Guitar Chair gives me a consistent 19" chair with back support wherever I go. I still get a little sore after two or three hours of practicing, but it is much more bearable in this chair. Hopefully a couple years worth of gigs will pay for it :) If any of you have been looking at this chair, I would definitely consider it.

Commercial link removed
integris2

Re: Original Guitar Chair

Postby soltirefa » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:16 pm

I have one, too. I love it. Mine is shorter, I believe 17 inches, because I have very short legs. I usually use it with my Dynarette cushion, although I sometimes use a footstool. I love the fact that you can sit all the way back and even lean your lower back into the chair's backrest.
soltirefa

Postby amezcua » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:29 am

How do you measure the seat height ? Is that a hard surface or a padded one? If padded you have to measure the squashed down height .
amezcua

Postby Nova3385 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:57 pm

When you were looking at chairs, did you come across any competitors? I know there all sorts of personal preferences, just wondering if this is the only company that makes a product like this.
Nova3385

Postby jimmyz1972 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:14 pm

i have been looking forever to find something equeal to that chair and have found some that are close, but not as perfect as that one looks to be and everyone that owns one seems to be saying. i personally haven't given up the 300+$ for one yet, and also haven,t found a chair that is "perfect" yet either. they make a chair for chello players with an adjustable seat and they make a regular looking chair that the legs extend and contract to raise or lower, ranging from 16" to 20 some they look promising but haven't sold me one yet.
Its not what, it's how, BUT..1988 Abe, Spruce/Indian-savarez corum-alliance hard tension, 1966 silvertone, cedar top, 2011 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 628mm, cedar top(thnk u Renlab)
jimmyz1972

Postby clsgtr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:04 pm

Have you thought about purchasing a high quality drum throne? They are low-profile, very adjustable and reasonably priced. You can even get them with a back support, if needed. I have used a Roc-N-Soc drum throne (with optional back) for many years and it works well for me.
clsgtr

Postby cyman » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:40 am

Hi Chair Fans,
I purchased a Cherry one even to Germany in April 2012.
With VAT + Tax + Shipping it was quite expensive.
The chair is the best I had ever regarding playing the guitar,
but only this and nothing else. It could be some more stability.
The upper part is okay. The wooden lower part could be some thicker for that.
But this at the other side would mean more weight. It is transportable and
probably this is the reason why this less stability is preferred by
Mr. Allison Reynold, the complete one man company. But the idea is great.
Again it is very well suited for guitar playing. You are requested to sit in
correct manner and position, with very good stable back support and
particularly the right leg accomadation is superb.

I would recommend it.
cyman
Masaki Sakurai Custom Made Maestro-RF (2010 - 2012)
Credo Quia Absurdum Est
cyman

Postby jhapgood » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:16 pm

I am looking at the original guitar chair also. For a while I was considering a drum throne with a backrest, and decided I would be more happy with the original guitar chair. Allison Reynold's winter shop is just a 4 hour drive from me, so I will probably arrange a trip over there this fall (think fall foliage tour!) when Allison gets there from Alaska, to see whether I need the 17 inch or 19 inch version. I think I will want the 17 inch, even though I am average height at 5' 9". What I have found in my experimentation is that when I go with a slightly lower seat height, the angle on my left thigh on which I place a large dynarette cushion is ever so slightly above parallel with the floor, which aids in keeping the guitar snugly in place against my chest. Thanks for the report, and I'm looking forward to acquiring one of these chairs myself.
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."
jhapgood

Postby amezcua » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:17 am

I once read that the most comfortable seat was the type they fit to tractors. You know , the metal part with holes in it .Many guitarists have a twist in the back because they have one foot raised . That makes my back hurt . The knee cushion must be a healthier choice. A one sided chair with the right arm cut off is a good starting point. Then you need a bit more coming round the front.
amezcua

Postby abardestani » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:33 pm

I purchased this chair about a year ago. I found that the chair itself was rather expensive, ugly and could have been a bit meatier. My kids still make fun of me and my chair and the price I paid. They say that I cheated them out of a short family vacation by buying it.

However, with all that said, it was the best thing I could have done for the life of my playing. In the months leading up to my purchase I had been developing some lower back pain and had trouble playing for long periods. Within a couple of weeks of playing in the chair, my pain disappeared completely and hasn't come back.

My experience with other activities that I've taken part in is that pain and injury will most likely result in no longer pursuing them. That's not what I'd like to have happen with my classical guitar playing.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ~Berthold Auerbach
abardestani

Postby Bluewyatt » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:05 pm

I have one and I love it!
Bluewyatt

Postby soltirefa » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:35 am

I have two that are 17" tall that I am going to sell. I bought one for each of my homes. PM me if you're interested. I am selling them because I have arthritis in my right hip from years of athletics. This chair is great for guitar playing, but the way it makes my legs spread aggravates my hip.

One is a couple years older than the other. I'd sell the older one for less than the newer. They're $350 new. I can sell mine for at a good discount.

Glen
soltirefa

Postby mshell8 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:39 am

I agree. I'm 6'0" and bought the 17 inch original chair in cherry. I find it comfortable and seems to help my posture while playing. I'm glad I bought mine!

Mark :)
mshell8

Postby arran1810 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:59 pm

I have had my 19" model for several years. i think it is great. I am 5-11 and over 200 lbs. The chair is very sturdy and well made.

I highly recommend it.
arran1810

Postby dbeau » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:31 pm

I've had a 17" guitar chair for a couple of years and am ok with it, but am intrigued with the idea of adding a slight slope, i.e about 6% and will probably do this soon. I got my wife an adjustable "harp" chair that can be raised/lowered and tilted and it 'feels' better when tilted just slightly forward.
dbeau

Next

Return to Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists