Gold rings & arthritis

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...

Gold rings & arthritis

Postby Leitmotiv » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:24 pm

Recently, I had cause to remember a TV programme I once saw. The last joint of my left thumb started to act up. As my family has a history of arthritis, and I'm in my middle fifties, I guessed the pain was caused by this, rather than by a stress injury from stopping notes on the fretboard.

In the programme, they showed x-rays of the hands of old folks. On any finger where a gold ring was worn, the joints were perfect, in stark contrast to the other fingers, which were badly affected by the disease.

Anyway, I wondered if it might be a cure after the fact, and not just preventative as in the case of a wedding band. I found an old gold ring, and after a couple of days, there was an improvement. It could be a trick of the mind; but those x-rays were quite persuasive.

Leitmotiv
"...the wonderful ease of masters" - Albert Camus
Leitmotiv

Re: Gold rings & arthritis

Postby muirtan » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:27 pm

Leitmotiv wrote:Recently, I had cause to remember a TV programme I once saw. The last joint of my left thumb started to act up. As my family has a history of arthritis, and I'm in my middle fifties, I guessed the pain was caused by this, rather than by a stress injury from stopping notes on the fretboard.

In the programme, they showed x-rays of the hands of old folks. On any finger where a gold ring was worn, the joints were perfect, in stark contrast to the other fingers, which were badly affected by the disease.

Anyway, I wondered if it might be a cure after the fact, and not just preventative as in the case of a wedding band. I found an old gold ring, and after a couple of days, there was an improvement. It could be a trick of the mind; but those x-rays were quite persuasive.

Leitmotiv

Hi leitmotiv didn't work for me. Last year I had to have my gold wedding ring cut off after 36 years because the knuckle had swollen too much and I couldn't remove the ring. I've some form of arthritis since my early 20s.
muirtan

Postby oski79 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:33 am

Sounds a lot like copper/magnetic bracelets. About twenty years ago, when I was playing a lot of squash, I developed a tennis elbow so bad that if I picked up a coffee mug the wrong way it felt like someone sticking a red hot poker into my elbow. I had already tried a cortisone shot, which gave only temporary relief. So I went for acupuncture and bought a copper bracelet. One of them worked--I have no idea which. Within about a week I was pain free and able to play again. I still go for acupuncture semi regularly, and I've worn the copper bracelet ever since.
But the Silver Tongued Devil's got nothing to lose, I'll only live til I die
We take our own chances, pay our own dues...
The Silver Tongued Devil and I...
oski79

Postby pogmoor » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:03 am

I’ve got a general awareness of the evidence about gold and arthritis. However my medical practice was never in rheumatology, so someone else may be able to give a better answer - but here goes....

There are two common types of arthritis, osteoarthritis (which is the ‘wear and tear’ type of arthritis) and rheumatoid arthritis (which a progressive condition, probably ‘autoimmune’ in nature). There is quite good evidence that gold has a beneficial effect in rheumatoid arthritis. There is a gold salt (sodium aurothiomalate) that is sometimes used as a treatment and there are a number of studies suggesting that gold rings do have a positive effects on neighbouring joints (presumably by means of small amounts of gold being absorbed). But only in rheumatoid arthritis; this effect is not found in osteoarthritis. [I notice, for example that clinicaltrials.gov lists a study of gold in osteoarthritis that has not reported any results.]

I think the bottom line is that if you have troublesome arthritis you should get a diagnosis. Even if it is rheumatoid arthritis gold is not necessarily the best treatment.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
pogmoor

Postby LVR » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:45 am

Leitmotiv wrote:In the programme, they showed x-rays of the hands of old folks. On any finger where a gold ring was worn, the joints were perfect, in stark contrast to the other fingers, which were badly affected by the disease.

Just for fun, can we consider 4 questions? Is it possible people don't often wear rings on arthritic fingers? How can you tell gold from other metals on xray? Could the xrays have been selected for the very phenomenon you've described from a bunch of xrays showing all kinds of findings? What exactly was this TV program trying to sell?
The basic thing about playing the guitar is the pleasure you get from it. There's nothing wrong with pleasure is there?
Julian Bream
LVR

Postby muirtan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:12 pm

oski79 wrote: So I went for acupuncture and bought a copper bracelet. One of them worked--I have no idea which. Within about a week I was pain free and able to play again. I still go for acupuncture semi regularly, and I've worn the copper bracelet ever since.

Tried a copper bracelet many moons ago and it didn't work but acupuncture does. I'm down to treatment once every 3 or 4 months and trying to reduce it even more. You could always check to see if it is the copper but not wearing it for a few months.
muirtan

Acupuncture & Arthritis

Postby daowens » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:11 pm

I swear by acupuncture. It has served me we'll.
I am now almost 65 years with Osteoarthritis and have few problems. (Thanks Dr. Yin)
The joints on my fingers look pretty bad, but I can play well and long.

I gotta try those copper bracelets, however.
Dave O.
Guitars
J.S. Cooper 2004 "Leila"
daowens

Postby AndreiKrylov » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:19 am

Leitmotiv wrote:Recently, I had cause to remember a TV programme I once saw. The last joint of my left thumb started to act up. As my family has a history of arthritis, and I'm in my middle fifties, I guessed the pain was caused by this, rather than by a stress injury from stopping notes on the fretboard.

Leitmotiv

And my family has a history of arthritis, and I'm in my middle fifties too... but I hate rings and anything on my fingers because they bring a lot of inconvenience for both hands... I had my golden marriage ring and because I could not wear because of my guitar playing I lost it and and never found :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
AndreiKrylov

Postby Kev. » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:09 am

Hello,

My experience with arthritis - not gold rings,

I was diagnosed about 20 years ago with Psoriatic arthritis, in my case a form rheumatoid arthritis with associated psoriasis of the skin. This is considered an autoimmune disease where antibodies of your immune system attack your own tissues.

I went through an arsenal of disease modifying drugs to slow the immune system with varying degrees of failure and side effects. I managed to keep playing through the early years of the treatment but as the drugs effectiveness ran down, the disease became really quite debilitating to the point where even a chromatic scale had become a challenge.

About four years ago bought a copy of this book; ''The New Arthritis Breakthrough' by Henry Scammell. To quote one reviewer, "An utterly essential read for anyone with a rheumatic condition"

My GP agreed to trial the treatment outlined in the book and I'm still on it.
This has by far been the most effective method I've experienced. I can now play the chromatic scales comfortably and have returned to playing my old favourite repertoire, new pieces and even have the confidence to attempt Bach which I'm really enjoying. (Although listening to my last recording not sure if the neighbours are :lol:
So the book is "An utterly essential read for anyone with a rheumatic condition"

It's almost certain I'll never regain the lost mobility in my wrists and other affected joints, however if I hadn't read this book back then I would not be writing this now and certainly not be playing any more.

all the best.

Kev.
Where there's tea there's hope :o)
Kev.

Return to Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists