Pins and needles left leg

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
spats71

Pins and needles left leg

Postby spats71 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi everyone

When I practice after approximately 20/30 minutes I often find my left leg feels awkward, sometimes with a sharp pain in my thigh and also pins and needles in my left foot.
I have been playing for years although have only recently began practicing daily and am enjying this immensely.
However this problem is limiting my practice as obviously it becomes to uncomfortable to play.
I am of average height (5ft 10) and use a footstool at the middle setting so my left leg is neither to high or too low.
Any ideas gratefully received!

many thanks

Phil

Erik Zurcher

Re: Pins and needles left leg

Postby Erik Zurcher » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi Phil, see a doctor or physiotherapist. We guitarists are unable to diagnose your complaints, nor would I encourage members to give free 'medical' advice. I am sure that other members have or have had similar complaints, but the cause can be totally different. I hope that you will keep us informed about the diagnose and therapy of your GP or Physio.

Best wishes,
Erik
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004, Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

KevinCollins

Postby KevinCollins » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:48 am

spats71 wrote:sometimes with a sharp pain in my thigh and also pins and needles in my left foot

Hi, Phil

I thought those were called "Needles and Pins".

Seriously, first of all don't hurt yourself by trying to stand up while your foot is asleep. It is easy to twist that ankle when you can't feel anything. Wake it up by stamping, that's the needles and pins, or whatever.

When you walk around Julliard, you notice that all the piano studios have slant benches, which is my first choice for seating. Sitting is actually one of the hardest things you can do to your body, and the source is counter-intuitive, so I suggest finding out more about stretching/yoga exercises for sitting.

I also recommend looking into Jerald Harscher's Body Mapping work. Often what we think we are doing is very different from how the body really works. I took his workshop, twice.

http://thepoisedguitarist.com/
------------
thepoisedguitarist.com.png

I made a little slant seat to go on my chair, something like this:

Slant Seat
------------------------
chair-slant-plan.jpg

But, whatever you do, talk to a physical therapist, or somebody who deals with this stuff. What Erik said.

Cheers,

Kevin
----
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Collins, Amherst, Mass, USA All rights reserved.

slithytove

Postby slithytove » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:53 am

Erik Zurcher wrote:Hi Phil, see a doctor or physiotherapist. We guitarists are unable to diagnose your complaints, nor would I encourage members to give free 'medical' advice. I am sure that other members have or have had similar complaints, but the cause can be totally different. I hope that you will keep us informed about the diagnose and therapy of your GP or Physio.

Best wishes,
Erik

agreed. You may also want to look into one of the many guitar support devices that are available. They help keep your back straight and your pelvis square, although they don't work for all of us.

kurt guitar

Postby kurt guitar » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:24 am

When i get the pins and needles after sitting for a while i usually go outside and take a walk down the street or something like stretches. IT always helps.

Nigel Jones

Postby Nigel Jones » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:16 am

The best advice I can give and this is something that I not only practice but teach to my students is ....... move when you play !!

I find when sitting down to play we can become static, that is we forget to move (freeze) This just promotes tension build up and limits our potential to produce beautiful music. If you watch any standing instrumentalist whether it be a guitarist or woodwind player violinist etc they are always moving !

Nigel Jones

Postby Nigel Jones » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:20 am

KevinCollins wrote:
spats71 wrote:sometimes with a sharp pain in my thigh and also pins and needles in my left foot

Hi, Phil

I thought those were called "Needles and Pins".

Seriously, first of all don't hurt yourself by trying to stand up while your foot is asleep. It is easy to twist that ankle when you can't feel anything. Wake it up by stamping, that's the needles and pins, or whatever.

When you walk around Julliard, you notice that all the piano studios have slant benches, which is my first choice for seating. Sitting is actually one of the hardest things you can do to your body, and the source is counter-intuitive, so I suggest finding out more about stretching/yoga exercises for sitting.

I also recommend looking into Jerald Harscher's Body Mapping work. Often what we think we are doing is very different from how the body really works. I took his workshop, twice.

http://thepoisedguitarist.com/
------------
thepoisedguitarist.com.png

I made a little slant seat to go on my chair, something like this:

Slant Seat
------------------------
chair-slant-plan.jpg

But, whatever you do, talk to a physical therapist, or somebody who deals with this stuff. What Erik said.

Cheers,

Kevin
----

Kevin,
i like the look of your chair, I'll have to try that idea. Thanks for posting the links to 'Poised guitarist'....interesting and useful ! cheers N

kurt guitar

Postby kurt guitar » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Seriously, excersise is the best advice i could prescribe, and i am not a doctor!

dogonjon

Postby dogonjon » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:04 am

Readjust your chair and foot stool. If you have a cushion on your chair try a hard chair. I find that if my butt is comfortable my leg goes to sleep. If I sit on a hard, flat surface that is uncomfortable to my butt my leg is fine. It's a trade off. Shouldn't this go in the Posture and ergonomics discussion?
I take MSM and my fingernails are in the best condition they have ever been in!

Tarbaby

Postby Tarbaby » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:44 am

dogonjon wrote:Shouldn't this go in the Posture and ergonomics discussion?

I think you're right, dogonjon. I'll move it there and send a PM to spats71.

Thanks for noticing!

Alan
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Languages: English, German, Classical Guitar.
2003 Sergio Abreu; 1976 Granada

AndreiKrylov

Postby AndreiKrylov » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:15 pm

spats71 wrote:Hi everyone

When I practice after approximately 20/30 minutes I often find my left leg feels awkward, sometimes with a sharp pain in my thigh and also pins and needles in my left foot.
I have been playing for years although have only recently began practicing daily and am enjying this immensely.
However this problem is limiting my practice as obviously it becomes to uncomfortable to play.
I am of average height (5ft 10) and use a footstool at the middle setting so my left leg is neither to high or too low.
Any ideas gratefully received!

many thanks

Phil

It is definitely a circulation problem ... it is just another argument that sitting position is probably nor ergonomic, nor healthy ... try to play standing (not still but in freely moving position) with guitar :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”