A quick question about posture.

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Zach S

A quick question about posture.

Postby Zach S » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:18 am

I am painfully aware that there most probably exist many such topics. I do not think I came across anything that exactly resembles what I wanted to ask, so without further ado:

When seated in the 'proper' classical position, complete with foot stool - how can one differentiate between 'malign' pain and 'benign' pain (benign referring to, say, fatigue rather than pain due to a lack of practise and malign to pain that is actually debilitating and hampers progress).

I suppose my question might be obvious - then again it might not. On that note, does it take a while for one's back's muscles to get used to the position or is it just me who gets slightly uncomfortable after, say, twenty odd minutes?

Thoughts?

Zach
If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. -- Henry David Thoreau

choctawchas

Re: A quick question about posture.

Postby choctawchas » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:48 am

if you feel any type of pain then your posture could be the source, however its also possible that your body lacks core supporting muscle
groups and the lower back pain might be more of a question of strengthening abdominals so that your lower back muscles aren't bearing the brunt
of supporting you while playing. twenty minutes may seem a short period of time but if your body isn't use to the work it could be too much.
its important to realise that playing the instrument is closer to athletic performance, learning how to train and maintain your physical
mechanism is the key to keeping your ability to play healthy.
Oliver Moore 2012
Miles Henderson Smith 2012

oski79

Postby oski79 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:47 am

It may be a matter of semantics don't really think you should consider any pain "benign." Pain is an indicator that something's wrong, and if you ignore it, just chalk it up to fatigue, you're asking for trouble. Stand up and stretch, take a little break, walk around the room when you feel it. Yes, if you practice long enough, even in an ergonomically correct posture, you'll eventually get tired, but you should appreciate the difference between fatigue and pain.
But the Silver Tongued Devil's got nothing to lose, I'll only live til I die
We take our own chances, pay our own dues...
The Silver Tongued Devil and I...

tbon

Postby tbon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:34 pm

You can try a Dynarette or some guitar support (Ergoplay is said to be good). Many people adopt such a solution because of back problems.

Zach S

Postby Zach S » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:15 am

Thanks for the replies.

oski79 wrote:It may be a matter of semantics don't really think you should consider any pain "benign." Pain is an indicator that something's wrong, and if you ignore it, just chalk it up to fatigue, you're asking for trouble. Stand up and stretch, take a little break, walk around the room when you feel it. Yes, if you practice long enough, even in an ergonomically correct posture, you'll eventually get tired, but you should appreciate the difference between fatigue and pain.

I think I might have erred in my word choices, but I believe that was the answer I was looking for. Cheers.
If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. -- Henry David Thoreau

clsgtr

Postby clsgtr » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:45 pm

Muscle tension can also contribute to the problem. Concentrating on being more relaxed from the fingers arms, shoulders, continuing to the lower back during practice, especially when playing unfamaliar or difficult passages may help as well. Making a habit of being aware of this has helped me sound better and practice longer.

AndreiKrylov

Postby AndreiKrylov » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:42 pm

I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”