Kris Barnett Guitar Support

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...

Kris Barnett Guitar Support

Postby Kent » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:50 am

Just purchased Kris Barnett's Guitar Support. This should be a game changer for guitar supports.
You can find out more about it here;
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=64817

I am excited that Kris finally launched this product, and I will let you know how well it works!
Kent
Kent

Re: Kris Barnett Guitar Support

Postby Kent » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:50 am

I promised to get back to you about Kris Barnett's Guitar Support. I wanted to use it for awhile and really test it out, so here it goes!

The support arrives in a nicely designed box that supports Mr. Barnett's attention to detail. There are two magnets in the package that are so strong, they left there original storage spots in the box, and arrived married together!
The first inspection of the support's components will make you feel good about your decision to purchase it. The wood quality combined with the design details are outstanding.
You need to get to Kris's website to get the installation video. Strings by Mail also has the video up.

I was a little reluctant to install the support because it looked a little intimidating at first! You need to dry fit the support with the magnets before doing a final installation. It took me about 20 minutes to work everything out. I recommend giving it an hour or two workout before doing the final installation of the magnets.

Now for the performance and comfort level.
The support is incredibly easy to put on and take off. I still get a kick at how quickly it pops on. The magnets automatically position the support every time. It is really cool. It took me a few days before I stopped making the mistake of installing it backwards!
For years I used the "cushion" and I still use it if I have only a short time to practice. I prefer the Kris Barnett Support because the guitar never slips off my lap. The cushion support would always start moving on me halfway through a long piece.
No suction cups or other finish marring components with steady use. I would install this on any concert guitar. For case storage, the support folded up takes about as much room as a pack of cigarettes.

So in review, I think this is a fantastic product. I truly think that Luthier Kris Barnett is going to be a big contributor to our instrument over his lifetime. This is a quality, American made product that delivers.
I think you get the drift..I like it! :wink:
Kent

Postby Tortoise » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:03 pm

Quite innovative! I have a Tenuto but would definitely try one of these once I get out of my beginner stages (and into better guitars). Might I ask why you don't leave it on? Force of habit or just being cautious? I myself would be more inclined to leave it on, for the ability to slide around (without the putty). Perhaps this would just complicate things? Or is the putty easy to move and adjust?
Tortoise

Postby Kent » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:43 pm

Tortoise wrote:Quite innovative! I have a Tenuto but would definitely try one of these once I get out of my beginner stages (and into better guitars). Might I ask why you don't leave it on? Force of habit or just being cautious? I myself would be more inclined to leave it on, for the ability to slide around (without the putty). Perhaps this would just complicate things? Or is the putty easy to move and adjust?

Once you position the magnets in the right place, you use the putty to attach them to the guitar. It keeps them in position.
To get the guitar back into your case, you simply pull off the support. It is quite simple and works pretty slick. If you always store your guitar on a stand, then you could just leave it on all the time. I would still recommend attaching the magnets with the putty, just in case you do remove the support.
Kent

Return to Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists