Posture and Segovia.

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...

Posture and Segovia.

Postby Zach S » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:24 am

Quite recently, I've become increasingly dissatisfied with my posture - just a general feeling that something is a bit 'off'. One of the roots of this might lie in my right hand technique: it seems that although my ima fingers are more or less perpendicular to the strings, I hold my thumb parallel to them and as such am stuck with using only skin with the thumb.

The natural remedy, I thought to myself, was to go and observe a virtuoso. And so I did. A short search later, I was examining Segovia, in all his glory, as he plucked away.

Copyrighted music search Segovia Villa-Lobos

I feel as if though I can learn and improve my own posture through observing his. Two things I noticed,
i) The extreme bend of his thumb, which I also happen to possess,
ii) The efficiency of his ima fingers - honestly, it seems as if though he hardly moves them towards the beginning

Would one's right hand technique be very different if they did not in fact have any bend in the thumb joint? Another question that pops into mind is how the fingernail ramps scale with the fingers angle to the strings? I seem to hold mine at 80 degrees and so I've tried filing steeper ramps, but yes, still working towards a fuller tone.

((... I wonder if I'm beating about the bush too much and haven't really asked any questions so far.))

Zach
If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them. -- Henry David Thoreau
Zach S

Re: Posture and Segovia.

Postby AndreiKrylov » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:19 am

Zach S wrote:Quite recently, I've become increasingly dissatisfied with my posture - just a general feeling that something is a bit 'off'. One of the roots of this might lie in my right hand technique: it seems that although my ima fingers are more or less perpendicular to the strings, I hold my thumb parallel to them and as such am stuck with using only skin with the thumb.

The natural remedy, I thought to myself, was to go and observe a virtuoso. And so I did. A short search later, I was examining Segovia, in all his glory, as he plucked away.

Copyrighted music search Segovia Villa-Lobos

I feel as if though I can learn and improve my own posture through observing his. Two things I noticed,
i) The extreme bend of his thumb, which I also happen to possess,
ii) The efficiency of his ima fingers - honestly, it seems as if though he hardly moves them towards the beginning

Would one's right hand technique be very different if they did not in fact have any bend in the thumb joint? Another question that pops into mind is how the fingernail ramps scale with the fingers angle to the strings? I seem to hold mine at 80 degrees and so I've tried filing steeper ramps, but yes, still working towards a fuller tone.

((... I wonder if I'm beating about the bush too much and haven't really asked any questions so far.))

Zach

I do not have any bend in my thumb joint... my fingers also quite longer and thinner than Segovia' and imae in one line which let me use all 5 fingers on my right hand all the time. I always completely cut my thumb fingernail - if not cut it always tend to stuck in the strings (because of no bend in the joint) :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
AndreiKrylov

Postby Richard Christie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:13 am

urgh, I'd be careful about imitating much that is going on in that clip.
All the same I mean no disrespect for man and his contribution.
The guitar, causes dreams to weep.
The sobs of lost souls, escape from its round mouth.
And like the tarantula, it weaves a great star
To snare the sighs,
Which float inside its dark wooden cistern
- Lorca
Richard Christie

Postby strumalong » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:24 am

Everyones fingers are different sizes and shapes. What works for Segovia may not necessarily work for you. Just focus on what's comfortable and what gives you the best tone. (I'm not going into nails)
You may also benefeit from a guitar support. You really haven't got much to lose, and it may improve your whole technique and posture (it did for me). Besides, you can always go back to footstools.
strumalong

Postby AndreiKrylov » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:30 pm

strumalong wrote:Everyones fingers are different sizes and shapes. What works for Segovia may not necessarily work for you. Just focus on what's comfortable and what gives you the best tone. (I'm not going into nails)
You may also benefeit from a guitar support. You really haven't got much to lose, and it may improve your whole technique and posture (it did for me). Besides, you can always go back to footstools.

Or maybe even try to play in standing/moving position too :)
I envy to other people nails! my nails are bend right at the beginning and very thin and very easy to break... : :(
But it is very good experience to watch great guitar players and try to use their experience (with posture and technique) as productive as possible!
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!
AndreiKrylov

Postby MatthiasYoung » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Hand angle depends on several factors - straight thumb or "hitch-hiker" thumb, neck angle, and nail shape. And not to say that you will always use the same hand angle, because altering the angle changes the tone. In terms of efficient technical practice, find a hand angle where your fingers can all move naturally and your nails are sliding over the strings with very little resistance.
MatthiasYoung

Postby George Crocket » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:23 pm

Hello Matthias.

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules, then please introduce yourself here for a proper welcome.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar
George Crocket

Postby MatthiasYoung » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:33 pm

George Crocket wrote:Hello Matthias.

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules, then please introduce yourself here for a proper welcome.

Thank you!
MatthiasYoung

Return to Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists