bad hip - playing in recliner chair

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
soltirefa

bad hip - playing in recliner chair

Postby soltirefa » Fri May 04, 2012 3:47 pm

It turns out that my hip joint is arthritic and one of the things that can make it flare up is sitting in the classical guitar position too long. The doctor gave me a prescription for Celebrex to take daily for a couple weeks to take the swelling down on the bone. After that I should be able to resume playing normally, but not for such long periods.

In the meantime I found a compromise playing position on my recliner chair. It lacks the leverage that sitting correctly has, but it's better than not playing at all. I bend my left leg, put the Dynarette on it and it seems to put the guitar in a pretty good position, while allowing me to kick back.
Last edited by soltirefa on Tue May 08, 2012 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jnb

Re: bad hip - playing in recliner chair

Postby jnb » Fri May 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Or for an even more unconventional position http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjX6ErmKY14 (and yes I know it's banjo not guitar but it still seems pretty remarkable to me)

Beth F-R

Postby Beth F-R » Fri May 04, 2012 6:45 pm

Hey, is that your Asturias you're playing? It sounds nice!

I hope your hip feels better soon.

Beth F-R

soltirefa

Postby soltirefa » Fri May 04, 2012 7:24 pm

Beth F-R wrote:Hey, is that your Asturias you're playing? It sounds nice!

I hope your hip feels better soon.

Beth F-R

Thanks, Beth. No, not the Asturias. It's a 640mm German Vazquez Rubio Hauser model. $2-3K more expensive than the Asturias.

Glen

BubbaRand

Postby BubbaRand » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:36 pm

Sorry about your bad hip. But happy to hear you have found a way around the problem. My solution for back pain is similar. I sit up in bed - about 30 degrees from upright. My leggs are supported by 12 inch stool. So, I'm in a position similar to that of a recliner. One difference is there is no armrest to get in the way of the instrument. Another difference is that I am playing an Epiphone ES-339, a small bodied electric guitar. (Sorry, it's the only instrument I've found to fit this position.) The guitar is secured with a strap, leaving both arms free. There is no back pain or strain, even after two hours of playing.

KeMe

Postby KeMe » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:19 am

Welcome to the Delcamp forum, BubbaRand.
I would like to invite you to introduce yourself to the other members of the forumhere.

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.

MattH

Postby MattH » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:56 pm

Soltirefa,
I came across your thread while looking for thoughts on what a good strap might be. I have an arthritic hip as well (two really, one is worse).I am thinking about using a strap to let me stand or more likely sit on a fairly tall stool, as standing for too long would be a problem. I've been using pillows/dynarette combinations while sitting on the edge of my bed or on my couch.
Have you had any success with any other arrangements or positions?
I'll let you know how my attempt at a strap works out.
Matt

soltirefa

Postby soltirefa » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:04 pm

MattH wrote:Soltirefa,
I came across your thread while looking for thoughts on what a good strap might be. I have an arthritic hip as well (two really, one is worse).I am thinking about using a strap to let me stand or more likely sit on a fairly tall stool, as standing for too long would be a problem. I've been using pillows/dynarette combinations while sitting on the edge of my bed or on my couch.
Have you had any success with any other arrangements or positions?
I'll let you know how my attempt at a strap works out.
Matt

Hi Matt,

For a while I couldn't even sit in a chair to play my guitar. Then a neighbor told me about his old dog with arthritis and how the dog wouldn't even want to get up. His vet told him to try Syn-flex liquid glucosamine complex. He said that within a couple days the dog was up and acting youthful again (I even saw his dog running one day). After reading about it I saw they make a type for humans and ordered it (it's almost the same except orange flavor instead of beef). I don't know if it's just the placebo effect or a coincidence, but within a short time my hip felt so much better. It's still arthritic, but now I can live with it and am able to sit in a chair with my guitar again. A good stretch routine and exercise helps too, of course. You got to keep things flexible.

Let me know how the strap works for you.

soltirefa

Postby soltirefa » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:39 pm

I discovered an excellent alternative to sitting in a chair that really takes the pressure off my hip if I get a flare-up. I sit on the floor with my back up against our sofa for back-support, and then put a bed pillow on my leg and the Dynarette cushion on top of that and I am able to get the guitar in perfect playing position with very good stability, too.

In this seated-on-the-floor position I can sit with my legs slightly spread, or sit cross-legged, or with the soles of my feet together ... basically ending up with a nice stretch while playing the guitar. Most importantly, I am keeping that pressure off my hip joint that I usually get seated in a chair. I'm amazed how well it works. Having the bed pillow allows easy adjustment in the height of the guitar so that I can get it just right.

Erik Zurcher

Postby Erik Zurcher » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:51 pm

Have you considered playing standing up?
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004, Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

soltirefa

Postby soltirefa » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:53 pm

Erik Zurcher wrote:Have you considered playing standing up?

I have. Standing puts lots of pressure on my bad hip, too. I prefer walking to standing still. But thanks for the thought.

AndreiKrylov

Postby AndreiKrylov » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:43 pm

soltirefa wrote:
Erik Zurcher wrote:Have you considered playing standing up?

I have. Standing puts lots of pressure on my bad hip, too. I prefer walking to standing still. But thanks for the thought.

Please try to move a little when you play standing, make like a small steps, this would change pressure all the time and it would not concentrate on certain hip.
When I play standing - I don;t stand still, I move and sometime could walk a little in the room with the guitar.
No pain after 44 years of playing. Still play many hours (gigs for 4 hours and more) and have no any problem or pain anywhere.
But if I sit... I feel terrible and have pain after 30 min.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at CDbaby, iTunes, Spotify, Amazon etc. Thanks!

JohnPierce

Postby JohnPierce » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:19 pm

jnb wrote:Or for an even more unconventional position http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjX6ErmKY14 (and yes I know it's banjo not guitar but it still seems pretty remarkable to me)

Couldn't do that playing classical guitar - the purists would crucify you for having the back of the guitar against your body.

Seriously, what's really amazing about this is (a) that they can do that kind of surgery at all, and (b) from recent reviews Adcock's back playing extremely well, if not as blindingly fast as he once did. Oh... and he was 70 at the time of the first surgery and is 75 now, so it's reasonable that the speed would start dropping off in any case, even without the Parkinson's and the surgery.
John W. Pierce
Seguin, Tx, USA
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

schattnik

Postby schattnik » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:27 pm

Playing in the standard position used to hurt my back. I now use one of those inflatable exercise balls - cost about fifteen dollars. It is great, and my back never felt better. I feel stupid sitting on a large blue ball as I play, but my back feels so good with it, I don't care how it looks. It gives one the ability to move a bit while playing. For the price, it is worth a try.

Dan Schattnik
1981 Alvarez-Yairi CY 132C; 1980 Martin D-35; 2003 Taylor LKSM-12

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”