I'm never really totally in a " -classical" - posture

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
alfonso

Re: I'm never really totally in a " -classical" - posture

Post by alfonso » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:15 am

For very simple pieces you can probably get away without playing in a 'normal' classical position. As things become technically more demanding it seems to me unwise to be casual about thinking how the guitar aligns with your body and hands.
Last edited by alfonso on Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1985 Ramirez 1A (664, Cedar/IRW)
2014 Juan Hernandez Maestro (650, Spruce/Cocobolo)
1993 Gibson Chet Atkins CEC (650, Spruce/Mahogany Electro-classical)
Martin HD28
Martin JC16-GTE
Taylor 310
Gibson ES-339
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Precision Bass

alfonso

Post by alfonso » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:16 am

I suppose in the end it doesn't matter if you play the guitar lying prostrate on the floor. The important thing is that the angle of the guitar neck is such that there is as little unnecessary tension on the left hand wrist and forearm as possible. Generally, once this is achieved the right hand will also be fairly close to being in a optimal position as well.
1985 Ramirez 1A (664, Cedar/IRW)
2014 Juan Hernandez Maestro (650, Spruce/Cocobolo)
1993 Gibson Chet Atkins CEC (650, Spruce/Mahogany Electro-classical)
Martin HD28
Martin JC16-GTE
Taylor 310
Gibson ES-339
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender Precision Bass

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:30 pm

I switched to the Paco de Lucia form many years ago, for classical, flamenco and jazz playing, and found it very comfortable and "natural", compared with the footstool. After I developed focal dystonia (not caused by the position), I struggled for years until I found Jerald Harscher, who encouraged me to find my own comfortable position to retrain my brain and hand. I eventually returned to the footstool for most practicing, as well as standing with a strap and occasionally, mostly on jazzy gigs, sitting in the Paco position. I have suffered zero physical problems with any of these positions, so there is certainly a great deal of luck and a bit of self-awareness involved in positioning yourself to play such a difficult and unwieldy instrument. Of course, playing any instrument is difficult and unwieldy, and, interestingly enough, as many as 80% of conservatory students play with pain.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

twisterguitar

Post by twisterguitar » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:47 pm

2handband

Post by 2handband » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:35 am

I've been using a strap lately; I've got a problem in my lower back and the raised leg position hurts. Next time I get to the Twin Cities I'm going to see what those little guitar support thingies that go on your lap cost.

MauricioMedeiros

Post by MauricioMedeiros » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:07 pm

ronjazz wrote:I switched to the Paco de Lucia form many years ago, for classical, flamenco and jazz playing, and found it very comfortable and "natural", compared with the footstool. After I developed focal dystonia (not caused by the position), I struggled for years until I found Jerald Harscher, who encouraged me to find my own comfortable position to retrain my brain and hand. I eventually returned to the footstool for most practicing, as well as standing with a strap and occasionally, mostly on jazzy gigs, sitting in the Paco position. I have suffered zero physical problems with any of these positions, so there is certainly a great deal of luck and a bit of self-awareness involved in positioning yourself to play such a difficult and unwieldy instrument. Of course, playing any instrument is difficult and unwieldy, and, interestingly enough, as many as 80% of conservatory students play with pain.
What exactly is this "Paco form"? Legs crossed?

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:01 pm

Right leg over left, ankle of right on thigh of left. It's easy when one is young, and gets more difficult with age; Paco started using a footstool under his RIGHT leg a few years before he died, and he would accompany with his foot on the footstool, and cross his legs to solo.

In any event, if you can, develop more than one posture for playing.

MauricioMedeiros

Post by MauricioMedeiros » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:57 am

Thanks, ronjazz.

Not so long ago I "discovered" the different guitar supports on the market, and start trying to play with both feet on the floor, supporting the guitar with whatever was available at the moment. Of course it was not so stable, but the position itself is far more pleasant to play. But this cross legged position seams a little odd to me. Will try to find some videos of Paco using it and will try it out.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:08 am

I'm not necessarily recommending the Paco position, it works for some, but not most, players. I did find that playing with a strap to eliminate the footstool is working very well, and enables me to stand when playing and practicing, which is generally a bit better for you than sitting. It also puts the guitar in a bit more of a "cello" position, somewhat like Paul Galbraith's setup, which makes for an interesting right hand approach, with more access tot he string length readily available, so more tone coloration.

Reading Shearer, Berg and Hii is very educational, as far as use of the body goes.

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”