Armrest issues?

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Charles Mokotoff

Armrest issues?

Post by Charles Mokotoff » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:53 pm

I've been playing a couple guitars for extended periods lately that have built in armrests and been noticing my right arm feeling a bit achey after practicing. I wonder if anyone else has felt this?

My main guitar has no built in armrest and a while ago I bought the Abel armrest, it is immediately more comfortable but noticing now my arm (the whole arm, not the area where the body of the guitar meets the forearm) feeling sore after practice with this attached. I am planning to stop use for a while and see if it goes away, its difficult to arrive at a conclusion with this.

I am trying to draw a parallel between this discomfort and the use of an armrest of any kind. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Thanks.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Armrest issues?

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:03 pm

I notice the opposite - more ache in arm with no arm rest.

Since the ache is not at the area the arm rests on the device, but more generally, perhaps you are unconsciously holding the arm differently in order to present the fingers to the strings as they are used to?

Try different angles to hold the instrument to see if this redresses the balance.

I hope that your normal posture is a little better than your ID picture ... ?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”