New Kris Barnett Guitar Support

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
jhapgood

New Kris Barnett Guitar Support

Post by jhapgood » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:17 pm

My lovely wife got me the newest version of the Kris Barnett Guitar Support for Christmas, and I thought I'd share my take on it so far. Over the years, I have used a foot stool, both small and large Dynarette cushions, and the ErgoPlay Troester prior to trying the Barnett support.

It was easy to install the magnets, it looks nice, has many adjustment capabilities, and functions well. It comes on and off the guitar so much more easily than the ErgoPlay, and I like the fact that it goes back on in the EXACT same spot each time, thanks to the magnets mounted inside the guitar.

Another nice aspect is that it fits into my guitar case for transport, which is convenient for the times I play at church. Everyone's looking for something a little different to solve their own needs, but so far I am quite pleased with my new toy.

If you're still searching for the right support, I'd have to say it's worth a go.

Happy Playing and Happy New Year to all my friends at Delcamp,

Joe
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

Christopher Freitag

Re: New Kris Barnett Guitar Support

Post by Christopher Freitag » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:47 pm

I just installed mine today. I'm also changing from an ErgoPlay support. Like you, I found the installation to be pretty easy, and it was not a problem to find a comfortable playing position.

However, there is a fly in the ointment. When I move the guitar as I play or shift position I get a knocking sound. I've tried various things like holding the magnet firmly while I move the support (to make sure that it is not magnet slippage), and I have tighter the adjustment knobs. The noise seems to come from within the support itself, and is best described as a creak which the resonance of the guitar turns into a knock.

Have any other users encountered this issue?
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood
2014 Garrett (Gary) Lee spruce/cedar double top; Brazilian rosewood

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:31 pm

I was able to diagnose and solve the problem. I isolated the cause to the pivot hinge on the magnet end of the longer leg. Using the included allen wrench, I removed the magnet "foot," examined the joint, and found some rough patches in the wood. It seems that these were binding and causing the creaks. As an experiment I turned the foot 180 degrees and reattached it. For whatever reason that solved the problem.

As a longer term solution I might try to find some teflon washers of an appropriate size so that there is no wood-on-wood contact.

But for now, I am noise-free and a happy support user!
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

2013 German Vasquez Rubio Concert Special "Bernardi"; German spruce/Brazilian rosewood

kris barnett

Post by kris barnett » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:25 pm

Hey Lyrical! Glad you found a solution to the issue. The tolerances for the supports are very tight and sometimes humidity changes will make the wood swell/shrink. Another solution to the squeaking problem would be to simply lubricate the hinge/joint with some wax or other dry lubricant. It will quickly resolve and noises coming from the support. I am glad installation and positioning were a breeze. Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!

Wojduch

Post by Wojduch » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:46 pm

I have one question regarding this innovative, magnetic (and magic!) support: don't the magnet blocks inside the instrument affect the sound?

I'm asking because I would really like to purchase and use this super support but I'm afraid the magnets inside may spoil the acoustics of my guitar (a rather expensive, luthier-made instrument that sounds great).

Thanks for your comments on that.
Wojciech

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:42 pm

@ Wojduch:
- with due respect to the New Kris Barnett Guitar Support that I happen to see and examine recently I wonder if you have been taking under consideration the Dynarette guitar support cushion pad ?
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:14 pm

Wojduch wrote:I have one question regarding this innovative, magnetic (and magic!) support: don't the magnet blocks inside the instrument affect the sound?

I'm asking because I would really like to purchase and use this super support but I'm afraid the magnets inside may spoil the acoustics of my guitar (a rather expensive, luthier-made instrument that sounds great).

Thanks for your comments on that.
Wojciech
I did not detect any change in the sound of my luthier-made guitar after installing the (rather small) magnet pads in the guitar. They are attached to the side walls and according to the luthier who made the guitar (Alan Chapman), the sides are laminated and designed to be rather stiff, so putting the magnets there would not be a problem. Perhaps you can ask the luthier who made your guitar if the sides were important to the sonic design and if added mass there on one side would have an effect.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:54 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote: with due respect to the New Kris Barnett Guitar Support that I happen to see and examine recently I wonder if you have been taking under consideration the Dynarette guitar support cushion pad ?
try sticking the latter into a guitar case.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:35 pm

UKsteve wrote:
Jacek A. Rochacki wrote: with due respect to the New Kris Barnett Guitar Support that I happen to see and examine recently I wonder if you have been taking under consideration the Dynarette guitar support cushion pad ?
try sticking the latter into a guitar case.
- yes, you are right in this aspect. I surely would not try to put the Dynarette into my guitar case. But there are other positiveness of the Dynarette cushion pads - it is soft, thus harmless to the surface of the instrument - and that is why I am for it, if it is not expected it to be transported in the guitar case.

Christopher Freitag

Post by Christopher Freitag » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:35 am

I can hear no sound difference with the support attached. Arguably, since such a small part of the surface is touched by the support it would make less of a difference than resting the guitar on your leg or on a cushion.

I used a Dynarette before I tried the Ergoplay. For me it wasn't a good solution. Even the large size was too small. And the guitar never really felt secure.
Chris Freitag
cjfguitar

Jacek A. Rochacki

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:31 am

At first I apologize for making this off topic divagation by the occasion of just this thread.

Yes, I agree that the guitar is positioned in more stable/secure way when the guitar support is fixed strongly to the instrument regardless it is done with use of suction cups or magnets. I think that such guitar support is somehow "extension" of the construction of the instrument and the cushion pad like Dynarette is for me a kind of extension of player's left thigh in hardness of "materials" (and dimension) aspect.

I would be afraid that the construction of some guitars plus characteristics and thickness of wood used for sides may be exposed to risk of damage when next solid/hard element (guitar support) that was not taken under consideration by the constructor of the guitar is fixed strongly on instrument's surface without "backing it up" by the construction of the guitar. I saw recently at the blog of John Ray the old guitar like looking instrument (Jose Pernas, 1844) where a sort of protruding wooden element - "horn" - looking like support looked I think like homogenous part of the construction of the instrument.

My comparison of the soft cushion pad to "extension" of thigh has a week point and it is the fact that it is the "third element" moving freely between thigh and the side of the instrument; this has been pointed out by some/many players and we read on it in post by Christopher Freitag . So I wonder if somebody will try to fix in stable/secure position this Dynarette or similar in softness support by using kind of straps - even making a sort of "harness" like the holsters in the Wild West were fastened by straps to the thigh of brave cowboys :)

Wojduch

Post by Wojduch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:41 pm

:merci:

Thank you all so much for your informed and informative observations. My doubts have just been dispelled :D

Once I have used the magnetic support for a while, I will try to share my impressions in order to provide more insights for the benefit of other forum users who - just like me - are not sure.

:bye:
Wojciech

Wojduch

Post by Wojduch » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:24 pm

kris barnett wrote:Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!
Well, I thought I knew all I needed but after consulting the luthier who made my guitar (Rafal Turkowiak), I learned the sides of my guitar are 5 mm thick :shock: It seems substantially more than a standard 2-2.5 mm.

Mr. Barnett, would you be able to confirm that with such thick sides of my guitar (5 mm), the magnets will still hold the support in place? Apologies for hassling you about it but since you're already involved in the thread (apparently willing to help), I'd like to use this opportunity and make sure with the person in the know before I fork out USD 100 (purchase price + p&p). Again, thank you for your assistance.

W.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Wojduch wrote:
kris barnett wrote: I learned the sides of my guitar are 5 mm thick :shock: It seems substantially more than a standard 2-2.5 mm.
Kris' own guitars have laminated sides that I'd predict are at least 5mm thick themselves, or at least I would based on the photos he's sent me of my own guitar during construction. I'd be astonished if his support didn't work on his own guitars but no doubt he'll chime in.

Cheers,
Steve

kris barnett

Post by kris barnett » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:50 am

Hi Wojciech,

Thanks for the inquiry. The support should work with your guitar, although the strength of the magnets decreases exponentially with distance, meaning that the strength of the magnetic field weakens very quickly in very short distances.

My guitars have been the "test" guitars for the support and the supports work well with my instruments. My sides are also quite thick as UKsteve pointed out, but they are only about 4mm thick. All that I can recommend is trying it out and if it does not work well for you, simply return it and get a refund no questions asked.

lagartija will hopefully chime in. I know she has an instrument that has very thick sides and could speak to the strength of the magnets. I wish I could be more definitive with my response but I surely do not want to misspeak. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance and thanks again for your interest in our product.

Kris

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”