Guitar neck angle and posture

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
keithwwk

Guitar neck angle and posture

Post by keithwwk » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:13 am

Dear Friends,
I noticed Mr Delcamp holding his guitar quite low with neck pointed quite high up and his LH is resting almost on the guitar waist. His spine, shoulder is straight and both hand are relaxed. May I know how he stable the guitar with that posture? I didnt see any guitar support...I would like to try his posture...
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

Will95

Re: Guitar neck angle and posture

Post by Will95 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:13 am

I don't think there is one 'correct' way to hold the guitar, as people are different and use different tools etc. I believe the 'default' (as defined in Pumping Nylon) is to have the neck angle in such a way as to have the head of the guitar at the same level as your own head. Too sharp of an angle will compromise your right hand tone (making it difficult to move between tasto and ponticello) and also place your fingers at a much more perpendicular angle to the strings, which gives a harsher sound. On the other hand, too flat of an angle and your left hand will be compromised; try holding your hand palm up and then extend it sideways away from you, and you will feel the tension.

keithwwk

Re: Guitar neck angle and posture

Post by keithwwk » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:47 am

Hey Will,
Thank you. I will try out and find my own best posture. Still keep experiencing...

Cheers!
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”