Trigger Finger

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
DanielPearce

Trigger Finger

Post by DanielPearce » Fri May 01, 2015 1:05 pm

After having looked at past posts I have a question about hand/finger stretches. Being new to learning to play guitar many people have mentioned to me, as well as You Tube videos, that I must stretch my fingers on my fretting hand to maximize my ability to play well. I have had the surgery for trigger finger and the LH ring finger works well now. However, my orthopedic surgeon told me stretching the hand will not give me greater flexibility. It may actually cause the finger to re-injure and be in need of another operation to fix it.

My question is does playing classical guitar require the stretching I have been led to believe is necessary, or not? If it does, are there any recommendations about how to do this without further damage to the ring finger?

Daniel

Glenn

Re: Trigger Finger

Post by Glenn » Fri May 01, 2015 1:16 pm

I don't know if it's a must. No need to stretch your hand to the point of pain. There is really no absolute when it comes to your journey with the instrument. Start off slow, find a teacher if you're struggling, and slowly develop the dexterity required to learn some easy pieces. Most of all, take it easy on yourself. You are just starting off. Relax.
Last edited by Glenn on Fri May 01, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mc1

Post by mc1 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:21 pm

there are also guitars with a shorter scale length, which make playing some stretches much easier.

DanielPearce

Post by DanielPearce » Fri May 01, 2015 2:24 pm

By chance do you know which guitars have the shorter scale length? My hand seems to do better on the 1990 Takamine C132 I just bought than the steel-string Fender C140 acoustic I have.

Daniel

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri May 01, 2015 2:38 pm

I am having trigger finger now on my right thumb. Not affecting my playing but just feel discomfort sometime.

mc1

Post by mc1 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:43 pm

dleepearce wrote:By chance do you know which guitars have the shorter scale length? My hand seems to do better on the 1990 Takamine C132 I just bought than the steel-string Fender C140 acoustic I have.

Daniel
cordoba make models that have a shorter scale length, some with all solid woods, and some with laminated back and sides.

alhambra make several models with a shorter scale length.

kenny hill have models with a shorter scale length.

you can also capo your guitar to shorten the scale length.

DanielPearce

Post by DanielPearce » Fri May 01, 2015 3:37 pm

Ok, thanks! Right now the capo method sounds the least expensive for me. I'll keep in mind all the guitars mentioned on the odd chance I luck across one of them someone is having to part with.

Daniel

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”