Mundo Guitar Strap

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Pete Meyers

Mundo Guitar Strap

Post by Pete Meyers » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:41 am

As one who has been constantly flustered by finding the ideal position for my guitar, I've tried several different footstools and guitar supports.

Further complicating the issue are the intermittent back problems I've been experiencing as a result of my day job.

I've pondered using a strap and being able to stand for some time now, but I've held off on having strap buttons installed on my concert guitar. Besides the obvious reasons, I just have doubts that buttons in the "normal" position will yield the results I'm looking for.

I've ordered a Mundo Guitar Strap because it seems to be the most secure option for using a strap without buttons, while offering maximum flexibility for adjustment.

I expect it to take a couple weeks to make its way from the UK to the States but I'll be sure to post my impressions and some pictures once I've had some time with it.

RobMacKillop

Re: Mundo Guitar Strap

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:10 am

Interested. Let us know how you get on.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:51 am

I couldn't get on with it, it just felt like too much of a contraption, I felt like I was preparing to jump out of a plane rather than play guitar. Also playing live its very prominent unless you hide it under a shirt and bring the attachment through your buttons which is a fiddle and was not always convenient for me, clothing wise. From memory it also tilted the guitar forward slightly, was a little wobbly and needed the thigh rest/support in addition to stabilise it (which I hadn't bought).

I returned mine for a refund, just too much clobber and too expensive to achieve what other supports achieve, more elegantly IMO. Hopefully they will continue improving the design, I'm all for innovation in guitar supports.

There was a thread a while ago on playing standing up, and this strap would be an excellent way to achieve that without any modification to the guitar.

Great for ZZ Top impersonations to :D

Youtube

Pete Meyers

Post by Pete Meyers » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:35 pm

Nothing makes me more impatient than the U.S. Postal Service

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:49 pm

Yes it would be nice to know if it works well.
I guess next step would be playing and standing/walking freely? :)
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

Waiyiu Lo

Post by Waiyiu Lo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:08 am

I hvae never se that before, it must be a fun device

Pete Meyers

Post by Pete Meyers » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:27 pm

I have received the strap, but haven't had a ton of time to experiment with it. My first impressions are that there are many possibilities and that it should definitely help ease my back issues being able to stand.

That being said, I've never quite been able to find a position that works equally well for both right and left hands, (left being the primary problem area) so I imagine it's still going to take some time to figure out a solution for that variable.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:28 pm

A regular strap works fine. If one wants to experiment with positioning before installing strap buttons, just purchase some hooks with sticky backing, as used for hanging photos on the wall. When you've found the best position, then install the buttons where the hooks are.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:16 pm

ronjazz wrote:A regular strap works fine. If one wants to experiment with positioning before installing strap buttons, just purchase some hooks with sticky backing, as used for hanging photos on the wall. When you've found the best position, then install the buttons where the hooks are.
yes it is good advice! - I experimented with strap buttons and found best position for myself - in this position guitar is very stable and not supported by hands at all, therefore you use hands only for playing.
But if strap buttons put in different place, guitar becoming unstable and it is inconvenient and you need to support guitar with your hands. I found that position with strap on headstock is not stable too. Please look at my video where I showed exact position for buttons (best for me).
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

drew p

Post by drew p » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:17 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
ronjazz wrote:A regular strap works fine. If one wants to experiment with positioning before installing strap buttons, just purchase some hooks with sticky backing, as used for hanging photos on the wall. When you've found the best position, then install the buttons where the hooks are.
yes it is good advice! - I experimented with strap buttons and found best position for myself - in this position guitar is very stable and not supported by hands at all, therefore you use hands only for playing.
But if strap buttons put in different place, guitar becoming unstable and it is inconvenient and you need to support guitar with your hands. I found that position with strap on headstock is not stable too. Please look at my video where I showed exact position for buttons (best for me).
the headstock strap is stable IF you tie it down TIGHT to the front of the headstock, rather than the side. This provides the back-pressure necessary to keep it safely & securely on your shoulder. This can be seen on any video with my guitar in my hands on youtube.com/thedmfp

Hope it works out for you!

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:26 pm

drew p wrote:
AndreiKrylov wrote:
the headstock strap is stable IF you tie it down TIGHT to the front of the headstock, rather than the side. This provides the back-pressure necessary to keep it safely & securely on your shoulder. This can be seen on any video with my guitar in my hands on youtube.com/thedmfp

Hope it works out for you!
Sure, the headstock strap is stable :)
But it was not my point. Strap is stable but guitar is in less stable and less convenient position in comparison with button in other location. Please take a look :)
Youtube

here is one more video by another strap user guitarist with better use of English language and even more ways to attach strap.

Youtube
Last edited by AndreiKrylov on Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drew p

Post by drew p » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:31 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote: Sure, the headstock strap is stable :)
But it was not my point. Strap is stable but guitar in less stable and less convenient position in comparison with button in other location. Please take a look :)
Youtube
Seeeee I've thought about asking a local luthier to put a button like that on my beater guitar (my main guitar I just absolutely cannot bring myself to modify in any way) but I was worried that, since this would be a first-time deal for most any classical luthier, he may get the placement a bit off and ruin the balance of the instrument.

That being said, several electric guitars (gibson ES335 i think?) have a strap button in this place, and after 50 years of doing that successfully, it's probably safe to say that when done correctly, it works wonderfully

Also, subscribed!

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:09 pm

Thanks drew! Sure you should care about your guitars!
Myself I consider guitar value not as a resale value (I am not in that business) but as a convenience and precision of it as a tool for my work. For my work and my health (back problem) strap is the only way, therefore I put it on all my guitars. as far as a position of second button - I found that if it moved to one inch - then strap could disconnect and guitar will fall and stability of guitar position would not be that same. But again - I understand and respect the fact that other people may have other reasons and it is fine if it works for them ! :)

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”