Hippner Santos Flamenco/Classical - US $1200 - SOLD

Hippner Santos Flamenco/Classical - US $1200 - SOLD

Postby John Bower » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:52 pm

If you missed Darren Hippner's 'spring sale', here's an opportunity to correct that. I purchased one of his Santos Flamenco guitars, and right after receiving it, Darren tempted me with a second, different guitar. So, I will be keeping that second Hippner, and this Santos deserves to find a good home. It is brand new, not played in yet. I've had it two weeks, and enjoyed it greatly. I've tweeked a few items that (in my opinion) were not correct, but it is otherwise as received from Darren Hippner two weeks ago.

- Type / luthier: Hippner Santos flamenco/classical
- Scale length: 650mm
- Top: European Spruce
- Back / Sides: Spanish Cypress
- Fingerboard / (bridge): Ebony Fingerboard
- Sound: Very resonant bass and midrange, quieter on upper trebles
- Condition: New
- Price: US $1200/ Accepting Offers, will consider trades
- Viewing / trial possible: View possible if in Bay Area (NorCal)
- Hard case supplied

I've changed tuners, as the supplied VanGhent tuners were atrocious. I replaced them with a pair of Schaller Hauser style machines. They work very smoothly and look fine on this guitar.

I've also fitted a different saddle, slightly higher. The action as supplied was much lower than I prefer. The action is still quite low, just not as low as it was originally. If I were to keep the guitar, I'd make another slightly higher saddle, and I'll be happy to make one for you if you purchase it. The slightly higher action greatly increased the volume and tone, and helped the 'feel' of the action. Slightly more would probably be better.

I've also changed from the low tension strings supplied to D'addario EXP45 normal tension strings. This also helped the 'feel' of the action.

Hard case supplied.

The price listed above only covers what I paid for the instrument, plus the cost of the Schallers. You may have the VanGhents too, if you would like them. I have not drilled the mounting holes yet for the Schallers, so the VanGhents can be re-fitted without any changes, if that's what you prefer.

This is a great deal, and is about the least price one can find on a true luthier-built instrument. If it does not sell here within a week, I'll list in on *that site*, but I thought that forum users should get first crack at it, as it is a nice guitar with a warm tone. It is not especially loud, at least compared to my Ramirez 1a, or a Gil Carnal currently on loan to me, but it has a wonderful sound, and would do very well as a soulful 'living room' guitar. It does not have that big 'banjo' sound that seems to be all the rage now. What it does have is character, in abundance.

Thanks,
John B (SquibLoad)
Last edited by John Bower on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Bower
Amateur luthier

Re: Hippner Santos Flamenco/Classical - 2009 - USD$1300

Postby David_Norton » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:05 pm

I also have one from this batch, #617. It's a nice guitar, not great but certainly nice, and a good value for the money. Very much a 'clasica blanca', or in this case a 'clasica naranja', it's not very flamenco-ish at all. Mine has soundports (by request) and no golpeador plate.

I have the same observations: original action was too low so I raised it, and I am planning to swap-out the very stiff VanGent tuners in the near future. But for this kind of money, it's still a sweet deal.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
David_Norton

Postby John Bower » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:06 pm

Boy, the economy must be tougher than I thought. I was hoping some forum member would snap this up at this price. Imagine my surprise! No takers before I send it off to 'that site' ?
John Bower
Amateur luthier

Postby David_Norton » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:27 pm

The fact that one of this same batch sold on "that site" last week for only $815 makes the $1300 rather unenticing. I'm holding onto mine, at least until Der Ekonomie improves.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
David_Norton

Postby John Bower » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:57 pm

David_Norton wrote:The fact that one of this same batch sold on "that site" last week for only $815 makes the $1300 rather unenticing. I'm holding onto mine, at least until Der Ekonomie improves.

I saw that too, and was quite surprised at the low sale price.

I suppose this may have been a factor to the low price.
From Darren's item listing: 'It has some shopware and cosmetic faults which happened during construction. Any cracks have been cleated and repaired'.

You are probably right, and I should wait until things improve a bit. In the mean time, I'm enjoying having way too many guitars cluttering up my living room. I'll probably try it on *that site* and see how it goes. I still think these are a ridiculously good guitar for the money. I'd keep mine if I didn't keep tripping over good guitars being thrown at me. There are worse problems to have in life!

Thanks for your comments,
John B
John Bower
Amateur luthier

Re: Hippner Santos Flamenco/Classical *Revised-Accepting Offers

Postby John Bower » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:33 am

BTT

Accepting offers, and will consider trades
John Bower
Amateur luthier

Re: Hippner Santos Flamenco/Classical - US $1200/ Accept. Offers

Postby John Bower » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:01 pm

Sold to a fellow forum member. Thanks for the listing space, Delcamp!
John Bower
Amateur luthier

Return to Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"