GPN and glue dots work great!

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.

GPN and glue dots work great!

Postby RobertPavich » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:26 am

I've been a fan of Guitar Player Nails since I started using them...they are just the right thickness, and they sound great...the bad part is that they are glue ons and after using them for a few months..my own nails are weak and aren't getting any longer and stronger.

I saw the thread about Riconails, and the adhesive dots that someone recommended and got a set.

I used my GPN and put them on with dots to see if they'd survive...well...survive they did and I'm loving it.

Nothing I could do would tear a nail off....but a quick soak in water..and they came right off!

The best part is that 100 nails was only 20.00 and the glue dots were 10.00 for 600 shipped!

Thanks for the tip!

PS: The ONLY thing I'm wondering is: Could Riconails be better in some way? They are pre trimmed but are they really thick...or bad sounding?
RobertPavich

Re: GPN and glue dots work great!

Postby franks59 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:34 am

I tried RicoNails but switched to KISS nails which I can get at my local CVS Pharmacy. I can also get Glue Dots at my local craft store - Michaels.

I switched because the RicoNails were a little too soft. I play a lot and the RicoNails would show a slight but noticeable dip after a couple hours of play. The KISS nails seem to be harder. They're made of ABS plastic. The RicoNails feel like they're made of Nylon.

Frank
franks59

Postby RobertPavich » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:42 am

Hmmm....

I'll check them out...but I think that the GPN's are also not "rock-hard"...as real fingernails and therefore give a more 'fingernail-like" sound....I don't know....but I'll check the KISS out anyway...thanks for the tip.
RobertPavich

Postby John O » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:31 pm

RobertPavich wrote:Hmmm....

I'll check them out...but I think that the GPN's are also not "rock-hard"...as real fingernails and therefore give a more 'fingernail-like" sound....I don't know....but I'll check the KISS out anyway...thanks for the tip.

KISS nails are much thicker and more plastic sounding than GPN's nails--more expensive, too.
John O

Postby franks59 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:18 pm

Fugue wrote:
RobertPavich wrote:Hmmm....

KISS nails are much thicker and more plastic sounding than GPN's nails--more expensive, too.

Ok, I just ordered some GPNs. I'm curious to see how well all these compare.

Frank
franks59

Postby RobertPavich » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:36 pm

frank,
I think you will like them...they seem like natural fingernails and they are relatively cheap....the 50 pkg lasts a long time. You got the "preformed ones" right?
RobertPavich

Postby franks59 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:38 pm

RobertPavich wrote:frank,
I think you will like them...they seem like natural fingernails and they are relatively cheap....the 50 pkg lasts a long time. You got the "preformed ones" right?

Yep. 50 regular and 50 wide. Right now I'm just using the thumb because I wore it down from excessive practice, but I'll keep them around in case of emergency.

Frank
franks59

Postby RobertPavich » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:38 pm

Frank,
I took your advice and bought the package of 200 clear KISS nails...in the plastic tackle box... it was under $5.00 for 200 (I didn't use the smallest ones...so it was $5.00 for 100 nails including thumb, which just barely fit...a slight amount larger would have been nice but it still worked.)

They worked and sounded just fine!

I noticed that having a clean surface for the dots to stick to is VERY important...any contamination and the nail just doesn't stay on...
RobertPavich

Postby franks59 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:51 pm

RobertPavich wrote:Frank,
I took your advice and bought the package of 200 clear KISS nails...in the plastic tackle box...

They worked and sounded just fine!

I noticed that having a clean surface for the dots to stick to is VERY important...any contamination and the nail just doesn't stay on...

Glad it worked out for you.

I got the KISS set called "Active Oval" Medium based on some one else's recommendation. The GlueDots I use are designated "Craft" . They seem to stick just fine even if I forget to clean the nail. In fact if I follow RicoNails recommendation and clean my nail with alcohol first I find that the glue sticks to my nail tips (the part extending beyond the finger) a little too good and I have to be patient taking them off.

Can't wait to try the GPNs

Frank
franks59

Postby RobertPavich » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:24 pm

Active oval..that's what i got...

Also...I might try your dots then...they seem to stick better (and mine are called "permanent!)...
RobertPavich

Postby tgwilt » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:10 am

RobertPavich wrote:Active oval..that's what i got...

Also...I might try your dots then...they seem to stick better (and mine are called "permanent!)...

Just sent you a PM.
Cheers,

Tom Gwilt
tgwilt

Postby franks59 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:38 pm

franks59 wrote:Ok, I just ordered some GPNs. I'm curious to see how well all these compare.

Frank

OK, they just came today.
I honestly can't tell the difference between the GPN and the Kiss nails. They both sound the same to me. I think they're both made of ABS - they have that same smell when I file them. The GPNs are wider though.

Frank
franks59

Postby RobertPavich » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:43 pm

And I just ordered the industrial glue dots today....1,200 of them for17.00 after shipping.
RobertPavich

Postby KeMe » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:21 am

About how long does it take to put on the GPN nails or the Rico nails? Do you put them on and take them off every time you play? Once you put on the nails about how long will they stay on?
Do you have to do much filing?
I have very thin nails and a couple of them hook as soon as they grow past the nail bed. I've been putting the same powder and acrylic liquid from the beauty supply store. I just put the acrylic nails on the outer 1/3 of my nails. It works really well, but it is time consuming fixing them. I used to put super glue on the tips, but that takes hours to fix. Then the least little bump and they would shatter into tiny pieces.
Both the super glue and the acrylic is very hard...so what's the difference in using guitar picks or these?
I'm interested in trying the GPNs.

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.
KeMe

Postby franks59 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:48 am

KeMe wrote:About how long does it take to put on the GPN nails or the Rico nails?

If you're using GlueDots, it takes less than a minute per nail to put on a new GlueDot. You should clean your nail(s) with rubbing alcohol before putting the glue dot on. Put the dot close to where you contact the string. Place the nail on top. Press firmly all over until you can see most all the dot through the nail. Wiggle a little as you press. To take the nail off, gently lift a portion that has no glue near it and patiently pull. It takes some getting used to to take them off, but eventually it will take just a few seconds.
When you re-use the nail with the GlueDot attached, just clean the your natural nail and apply the artificial one.
Do you put them on and take them off every time you play?

Me - yes. I frequently leave them on though as I tend to play, take a break and come back.
Once you put on the nails about how long will they stay on?

Using a new GlueDot, they stay on till I take them off. Getting them wet lessens the adhesion temporarily. After a couple days, the glue will eventually weaken. You will be able to tell by feel and/or sound. I've never had one come off, it just feels loose so I take it off, remove the glue, clean my nail with rubbing alcohol and put a new one on.
To remove the glue from the artificial nail, take a toothpick and slide it into the glue. Then start rotating the toothpick. The glue will wrap around the toothpick and come off. It takes a little effort to do this but it will eventually only take you a few seconds to do it.
Do you have to do much filing?

Both the KISS and the GPN come longer than needed - the GPN more so. I usually cut them to length then file them.
Both the super glue and the acrylic is very hard...so what's the difference in using guitar picks or these?

I've used silk wraps and super-glue before - these give better sound and wear. I've not tried picks.
I'm interested in trying the GPNs.

Honestly I would try the KISS nails as they are very easy to get. They have a boatload of options. I've used the Active Oval type. The only drawback is they are slightly narrower than my nail. I assume it's because they are designed for women.

The GlueDots I use are the "Craft" type.
[EDIT] I would get the perforated sheets, not the roll type. They are much easier to apply to your fingernail.
In another thread, someone mentions you can call GlueDots and give them the part number that RicoNails uses and they will send you some - it's not listed online. The thread has the part number.
[Edit] - Here's the info: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=55934&p=620090#p611516

I personally don't like the RicoNails. They are very thick, plastic sounding and soft so they wear pretty fast.

I should also mention I have tried this on my thumbnail only and I'm just using them temporarily. I've been practicing so much lately and experimenting with nail shape that my thumbnail was worn down way too much. These have helped me a lot.
I would give them a try. There's not much to lose. You can probably pick up the nails and GlueDots locally - see my post above.

Frank
franks59

Next

Return to Use of nails in playing the classical guitar