Sor, Fernando - op.31/04 - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Dmitry Nilov

Sor, Fernando - op.31/04 - Video

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:14 pm

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.31/04 - Video

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:17 pm

This is so nicely done Dmitry! I particularly appreciate your care in keeping the sonority consistent by avoiding the open first string at times; though you did use some higher positions that I've never considered for this piece. And that hinge barre for the E sharp was very well done. Did you consider playing two unison Bs at the end?

I've always thought of this piece as being at the slower end of Andante, as it appears to be a more mourneful version of Op 6 no 8 sharing as it does the vocal polyphonic style of writing, including a little canonic writing, but also with the character of the vocal work "O Crux, Ave Spes Unica".

That acoustic-treatment wall covering is very striking - have you added reverb or is that a corner of a large space?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Dmitry Nilov

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.31/04 - Video

Post by Dmitry Nilov » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:40 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:This is so nicely done Dmitry! I particularly appreciate your care in keeping the sonority consistent by avoiding the open first string at times; though you did use some higher positions that I've never considered for this piece. And that hinge barre for the E sharp was very well done. Did you consider playing two unison Bs at the end?

I've always thought of this piece as being at the slower end of Andante, as it appears to be a more mourneful version of Op 6 no 8 sharing as it does the vocal polyphonic style of writing, including a little canonic writing, but also with the character of the vocal work "O Crux, Ave Spes Unica".

That acoustic-treatment wall covering is very striking - have you added reverb or is that a corner of a large space?
Thank you so much for your attention and appreciation!

There is no reverb here. I recorded these etudes for my students and used no plug-ins additionally, except Studer A800.
Wooden mosaic produces moderate acoustic reflex and neutralize somehow too active peaks around 4500-6000 Hz. Of course, it works only together with all other components - on walls, ceiling and floor. You know, my experiments in my home studio is a separate matter to discuss. It's very difficult to create a quiet good home studio in a small room of multistage house made of reinforced-concrete.

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”