D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
DaveMoutrie
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:45 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
DaveMoutrie wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:
OK, here is take #2 (the tone should be better now).

- pages 66-67 ANONYME (ca. 1860) VALSE
Thanks for posting Andrie, that does sound much better although not as sweet as your Capriche Arabe (we don't have 2 years to practice these pieces).

You also have it error free - something I have yet to achieve.

The tones still sound a little harsh for a romantic piece though, but I'm guessing a lot of this is down to the carbon fibre strings.

Noted. Another thing affecting tone is recording equipment. I record assignments on a old Nexus 6 phone camera+mic. Capricho Arabe was recorded on a good mic (Snowball) which captures the real sound very well. I compared the two: the phone mic gives somewhat shallower sound.
DaveMoutrie wrote: Now you have it technically perfect it could be time to start working on dynamics.
Thank you but it is not perfect, and I already started working on an optional piece :) Not sure I really want to keep pushing Valse...
Yes, I started getting a bit bored with the valse and started on an optional piece as well. I'm going to go back to the valse and record it with a stronger rest stroke at some stage.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Barnes and Mullins classical
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:07 pm

Ed Butler wrote:Andrei, David - question

When you are learning a piece for the first time -- how do you attack it? Learning small chunks at a time? Right hand movements first then add left hand? Or some other method?

Thanks for your help

Ed Butler
Good question Ed,

I normally start by playing the piece all the way through to see if the given fingerings make sense or I want to change them. At this stage I will also try to identify any tricky bits that need attention.

If I am struggling with the right hand in any particular areas I will play open strings and concentrate on the right hand on its own before adding the left hand. I will practice the difficult bits over and over to try and get them right and maybe look at a few alternative ways of playing them.

Once I have the difficult bits and the fingerings sorted, I can the concentrate on playing the piece all the way through again. Also, I record myself many times and watch the video back to spot any problem areas.
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Andrei, David

Thank you. I will use your suggestions with the remaining pieces of this course.

Ed Butler

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:41 am

Ed, , - here is a short clip of me practicing bars 46-48 of the valse. I was struggling a bit with this part so decided to practice the right hand first. I had tried various RH fingerings and decided on AMI AMIP.

Notice that I keep my thumb planted on the A string till I want to play it, mainly in order to keep my right hand anchored in a stable position. Later, when I am confident my right hand is stable I may decide to hover the thumb just above the string.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:46 am

DaveMoutrie wrote:Ed, , - here is a short clip of me practicing bars 46-48 of the valse. I was struggling a bit with this part so decided to practice the right hand first. I had tried various RH fingerings and decided on AMI AMIP.

Notice that I keep my thumb planted on the A string till I want to play it, mainly in order to keep my right hand anchored in a stable position. Later, when I am confident my right hand is stable I may decide to hover the thumb just above the string.

Apologies for the poor sound quality - used the camera's mic for this one.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:36 am

David - this is excellent. What tends to slow me down is I need to think both left hand and right movements when I come to difficult places. I think working out the right hand movement first will cut down my thinking process later on.

Ed

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:49 pm

Ed Butler wrote:David - this is excellent. What tends to slow me down is I need to think both left hand and right movements when I come to difficult places. I think working out the right hand movement first will cut down my thinking process later on.

Ed
Your're welcome Ed, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, just finished a run of 12 hour night shifts.
I was wondering what sort of warm up you do in your practice routine - do you practice any arpeggios for example?
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Hi David - I remember the night shift very well. Never get used to it. My first 10 minutes of practice is with Giuliani studies and the I do 5 minute warm-up from the pumping nylon book.

Ed

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:31 am

The optional part of the assignment:
- pages 68-69 José FERRER Y ESTEVE (1835-1916) EJERCICIO N°9

Youtube
Cordoba C9

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:48 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:The optional part of the assignment:
- pages 68-69 José FERRER Y ESTEVE (1835-1916) EJERCICIO N°9
Very nice Andrie - I've been practicing this one for just over a week now and its not quite as easy as it first appears.

Your accuracy is superb. I find it hard to play it all the way through without a mistake at the moment.

I have a slightly different take on this piece, it's not quite good enough to record yet, but I'll put up a version so you can see what I mean.

So well done, I can see you've put some work in on this one.

:bravo:
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

DaveMoutrie

Post by DaveMoutrie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Here is my take on the EJERCICIO N°9, a few stutters and stumbles here and there and some extra notes in bars 25 and 29 - still a work in progress.

Youtube
Alhambra 4p Cedar
Yamaha silent guitar

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:53 pm

DaveMoutrie wrote:Here is my take on the EJERCICIO N°9, a few stutters and stumbles here and there and some extra notes in bars 25 and 29 - still a work in progress.

Youtube
Hey Dave, that sounds so damn good! I really like the way you changed fingering at 0:40 - 0:50, brings so much more sweetness!
Also, great dynamics, tempo changes and tone colors. I guess you really like the piece ;)
What recording equipment do you use? The sound is so great, balanced and noise free.

Listened one more time. That's really great!
Cordoba C9

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:04 pm

David - beautiful.

Ed Butler

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:56 pm

My submission for this month. Please comments. There are a few missing notes and dampings, but don't think I can do better than these. The main problem is sight-reading beyond the 5th position. If I don't check my fretting hand, I tend to mis-fret the notes. If I look at my left hand, I cant follow the score! (just watched the valse clip, and looks like my ring and middle fingers were not in the frame.)

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

By the way, Andrei and Dave, you guys really raise up the bar. Don't think the rest of us can keep up with you guys.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:22 pm

Chu Bun wrote:My submission for this month. Please comments. There are a few missing notes and dampings, but don't think I can do better than these. The main problem is sight-reading beyond the 5th position. If I don't check my fretting hand, I tend to mis-fret the notes. If I look at my left hand, I cant follow the score! (just watched the valse clip, and looks like my ring and middle fingers were not in the frame.)
Hi Chu, I like how the bass line stands out and is very clear!
In Valse you play some measures not to the score (2 times).
As of sight-reading, I guess we should commit to memory as much as possible. I find that it is not that difficult actually: at some point I just try to play without the score (even when it does not feel comfortable) and see if I can "guess" the notes correctly. I mostly use the score to see what is the next fragment. And each fragment I can play without looking at the notes.

Update: also, bass and treble notes are not played synchronously. Probably it is extremely hard to get it right without nails. Watching numerous guitar videos I noticed that professionals can produce chords (or other simultaneous strokes) super-synchronously and it sounds sooo good. Even 1/10 of a second un-sync can be heard.
Cordoba C9

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”