Guitar leg holder (lack of a known better name)

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

Postby MurrayK » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:54 am

Thankyou Charles,

As always, very useful information. It really helps to paint a better picture for those of us considering the options.

I'm glad that there is some flexibility. I did notice in the Video that Mr Delcamp posted, how stable the instrument was on his Gitano. It seemed to be quite self supporting, allowing both his arms to move freely. This is what really attracted me to the idea of a leg support.
Regards
Murray
MurrayK

Postby darkshark » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:42 am

Murray, here's the pictures. The support wasn't cheap at around $95AUS. :shock: However, I think it looks the part. One criticism is that the height adjustment is a bit insufficient for some players who like their guitar an a high angle up past their ears. I understand that Lance has modified the design now with different suction cups etc, so this may have been remedied also. The only way to obtain the stand is to contact Lance. His website is http://www.litchfieldguitars.com/
Best wishes, Tom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Log on to the forum and post a few messages to get permission to view these files.
darkshark

Postby MurrayK » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:24 am

G'day Tom,

Thanks very much for posting those pics so quickly. :D They are very clear, and looking the unit over, I think that it could provide inspiration to some of the DIY'ers out there (Myself included).

I would say it is most similar in design to the ErgoPlay, but quite a bit smaller. Do you tilt the head towards you when you set it up for stability?

I was also wondering whether you have any contact problems between the wood surrounding the lower suction cup and the Guitar, when the suction cup flexes?

Also, when compared to the Gitano or Efel, I wonder if the strap arrangement on these would provide better grip on the leg than the solid molded piece on your unit?

Please don't get me wrong, I think it looks like a really solid unit and it is definately something I will consider. Even though it's at the top of of the price bracket, it sure has a special appeal.
Regards
Murray
MurrayK

Postby Michael » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:10 am

Russell wrote:Hi Michael, you have me confused (which isn't too hard to do) :lol:
Azalais' Gitano is the support with suction cups right? and the one you have is similar to the Dynarette cushion?
Russ :)

Hi Russ, yes, I am using a gitano with suction cups now. The same as Az.

I bought a dynarette cushion some months ago, but it kept sliding out of position and I didn't get round to 'modifying' it in any way. So I tried the gitano and am much happier with it.

Of course, one has to be careful with the gitano when removing it from the guitar, as the cups can, occasionally, be quite stubborn!
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
(Frank Zappa)
Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:18 am

Azalais wrote:I am probably in yet another minority of people who play with their legs crossed (yeh, I still wear skirts and high heels too) so the foot stool option is out :oops: The gitano works MUCH better in that scenario.

That is one thing I have always tried to avoid, playing guitar with crossed legs.
I have actually tried playing the guitar, folk style (if you get my drift), complete with the guitano hooked over my right leg.
It is unorthodox, I know, but I seemed to feel comfortable and found I fretted rather well.
But I do feel like a naughty boy playing like that! :oops:
All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.
(Frank Zappa)
Michael

Postby darkshark » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:47 am

Murray, glad i could be of help with the support pictures.

As far as the suction device goes a bit of saliva on them keeps them securely attached, and after a year or more of use I haven't noticed any damage to my guitar's finish. Other people I know with the same support have had a suction cap break off with the flexing - but this hasn't happened to me - probably because I attach it a bit more in the middle of the bouts and therefore avoid strain on the suction caps. Anyhow, I know that this is an area that is improved in the more recent version of the support.
I haven't tried the other supports you mention, so I can't make a comparison about the grip. With the wooden one, I find that the guitar is remarkably well balanced when you attach the support in the correct area between the bouts of the guitar (a bit of trial and error sorts that out). When it's balanced I feel the guitar is secure and comfortable.
By the way, I am not Lance's promotional officer, Tom. :lol:
darkshark

Postby MurrayK » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:54 am

darkshark wrote:By the way, I am not Lance's promotional officer

:lol: Good on ya Tom.

All great feedback and I think the points you raise could be applied to some of the other units. I guess the suction cups would be under a bit of stress. I notice that StringsbyMail also sell replacement suction cups for the units they sell.
Regards
Murray
MurrayK

Postby MaĂŻa » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:02 am

Michael wrote:
But I do feel like a naughty boy playing like that! :oops:

I always feel like this when I'm playing in folk style !
When I'm trying to tell folk guitarists how CG is wonderful, I quickly change my guitar to the "normal" cg playing :D
MaĂŻa

Efel Rest

Postby MurrayK » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:53 am

I recently bought an Efel Rest and I am very happy with it so far. Here are a couple of pics and a bit more info about it.

It is very solid on the Guitar using a single Suction Cup. It is very easy to install, only takes a few seconds. It is not difficult to find the right spot each time, (it is actually very, very simple). You don’t need to wet (or spit on) the Suction Cup, just push it on firmly. So far it hasn’t budged once. To remove it from the Guitar they have provided a couple of small tabs which you very lightly tug, breaking the seal. Once removed there is a small ring left on the guitar from the Suction Cup, which I wipe of with a soft, dry cloth. A gentle wipe is all that is required.

I like the playing position it provides very much. You can vary the position quite a lot without repositioning the Efel. I also use a small piece of rubberised cupboard liner on my right leg to stop the Guitar from slipping. Using this and the Efel, the Guitar is completely stable and will sit without needing support from either arm.

The only place I could find the Efel in Australia was at, “Gladesville Guitar Factory”, in Sydney. The unit cost $48.50AU (about $37US) and they posted it to me for an all up cost of $50AU. They have a website: http://www.guitarfactory.net/default.htm . I've dealt with them a few times now, mainly because they stock a range of quality, Guitars and products for Classical Guitarists and I've always found them great to deal with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Log on to the forum and post a few messages to get permission to view these files.
Regards
Murray
MurrayK

leg-rests etc.

Postby Sanft » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:34 pm

Hi guys 'n' dolls! Back in the saddle again! Didn't have too nice a Christmas and New Year, but that's life!
Well, if you look at my two pics on page 2 of this threat you see that I do it myyyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyy.........
@ FlexLm: I always perform with both pieces on my guit and it doesn't feel awkward at all, on the contrary. I mean, look at the stuff a violinist or a violoncellist has to fasten onto the instrument! And it helps me a lot! Besides, as you may know, Sor and Aguado and Coste made experiments with several devices: Aguado's tripod, Sor even recommends a table!
CU! Clemens
"...si nos quedáramos cuarenta y ocho horas seguidas sin música, habria una catástrofe mundial." Leo Brouwer
7stringed Matthias Dammann 1997; 9stringed Neuner&Hornsteiner ~ 1880
7stringed 1829 Staufer/Legnani replica by F. P. Dietrich 2007
Sanft

Re: leg-rests etc.

Postby FlexLM » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:36 pm

Sanft1 wrote:Hi guys 'n' dolls! Back in the saddle again! Didn't have too nice a Christmas and New Year, but that's life!
Well, if you look at my two pics on page 2 of this threat you see that I do it myyyyyyyyyy wayyyyyyyyyy.........
@ FlexLm: I always perform with both pieces on my guit and it doesn't feel awkward at all, on the contrary. I mean, look at the stuff a violinist or a violoncellist has to fasten onto the instrument! And it helps me a lot! Besides, as you may know, Sor and Aguado and Coste made experiments with several devices: Aguado's tripod, Sor even recommends a table!
CU! Clemens

Thanks Clemens
I have already ordered the armrest (thanks for the link) since I develop some discomfort in my right arm while practicing due to the sharp guitar edge. The only thing that bothers me - I will have to remove this armrest everytime I put guitar in her case, looks like it won't fit with this thing attached :?
Decided to postpone guitar support. Posture with footstool feels comfortable and I do not have any back pain or even fatigue after 3 hours practicing, so I guess not big deal for me yet...
FlexLM

Postby Azalais » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:07 pm

Welcome back Clemens! We've missed you!
(US) (FR) (ES) (IT) "... when you walk alone, you walk as you please..." Burwell Lute Tutor (c1670)
Azalais

Postby Sanft » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:30 pm

Thanks a lot! Missed you, too! And, FlexLM, the thing looks bigger on the photo than it actually is. As I said, it doesn't change the angle of your right hand. I've got a Hiscox-case and normally leave it on the instrument. No problem so far. On a longer travel, like the last one for example, I of course remove it. But every violinist or violoncellist has to do so every time when putting the instrument back. I don't think that it will bother you. To fasten the suction cups I use distilled water, the same I use for the humidifier in the case. It leaves no traces on the French polish. I don't recommend saliva or tap water! CU! Clemens 8)
"...si nos quedáramos cuarenta y ocho horas seguidas sin música, habria una catástrofe mundial." Leo Brouwer
7stringed Matthias Dammann 1997; 9stringed Neuner&Hornsteiner ~ 1880
7stringed 1829 Staufer/Legnani replica by F. P. Dietrich 2007
Sanft

Postby yotamz » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:00 pm

have any of you guys thought of lowering your seat?
i got this idea from one of my guitar teachers who uses a milk crate. personally, i can't stand the a-frame (that thing no one knew how to call) or thoes other contraptions. i like to feel the guitar on me, that way i can get closer to the vibrations (wow, that sounded wierd). anyway, the milk crate is my two cents, maybe try stretching before practicing?

yotam
yotamz

Postby sailor19 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:21 am

Does anyone have a US supplier for the various units? I've had several painful shoulder and arm issues that a rest might aleviate.
sailor19

PreviousNext

Return to Public Space