Orosz Technique - Finger tapping method

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...

Orosz Technique - Finger tapping method

Postby Jratwen » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:24 pm

Did a search on this and could not find it on the forum.

Just curious if anyone has tried the Orosz Finger tapping Technique? This is a method you can use away from the guitar to improve finger flexibility, control, accuracy, and response speed for playing any musical instrument - including of course right and left hand finger control for playing CG.

The 472 exercise, 306 page, MagicMusicianFingers Deluxe method is on sale for $29.75 and am considering giving it a try. I guess the main appeal to me is that the exercise I expect should improve my CG playing capability that can be done away from the guitar. Certainly not much to risk at the $29.75 price.

It is a commercial site, and cannot be posted here. However, if you google MagicMusicianFingers that will get you to the site quickly. Anyways, just wanted to post for your information and any comments you may have.

Thanks - Jim

UNIVERSAL DISCLAIMER: In my opinion, no one's opinion is the correct opinion, including mine.
Jratwen

Re: Orosz Technique - Finger tapping method

Postby AsturiasFan » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:00 pm

If you search at the board index you will get the following link. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35593&hilit=Orosz
You say picado, I say picato, but my terrier insists on piccata sauce.
AsturiasFan

Postby Jratwen » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:37 pm

Thanks for the link. Don't know why I didn't get any results - maybe either too many words or no accent on the name. Sounds like a lot of healthy skepticism and no real experience with the method.

Still sounds like a fun experiment to me for only the current $29.75 sale price. Might still give it a try. Will try to report back if I do.

- Jim

UNIVERSAL DISCLAIMER: In my opinion, no one's opinion is the correct opinion, including mine.
Jratwen

Postby AsturiasFan » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:38 pm

Yep! For only $30.00 you can't go wrong especially if you are taking one for the CG team. I'm a skeptic but not a cynic so maybe it' worth a try. I've purchased chords/scale theory books that I thought were overpriced at $30.00. Definitely report back if you get it.
AsturiasFan

Postby Jratwen » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:45 pm

Hey, Ya...CG guinea pig...well, somebody's gotta. May be my calling .

If so, I'll definitely report back after a fair trial.

- Jim

Jratwen

Postby Jeremy » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:08 pm

To quote Hector Quine in his book 'Guitar Technique':
'But beware also of wasting time over finger exercises away from the guitar; these are useless for developing dexterity. You learn only what you practice, and finger gymnastics which have no direct relevance to actual playing improve nothing but your ability to perform finger gymnastics!'
Jeremy

Postby wbajzek » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Jeremy wrote:To quote Hector Quine in his book 'Guitar Technique':
'But beware also of wasting time over finger exercises away from the guitar; these are useless for developing dexterity. You learn only what you practice, and finger gymnastics which have no direct relevance to actual playing improve nothing but your ability to perform finger gymnastics!'

I think that's probably right... You're not just building strength, but training your neurons.
wbajzek

Postby AsturiasFan » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:40 pm

That sounds very reasonable. Orosz is apparently a friend of Sakari. From what little I know I would guess they have similar ideas concerning dexterity. Most/all on Delcamp who have finished Sakari's course have recommended it, but I decided it wasn't for me. I never could accept Sakari's great lengths to develop the ability to keep the non playing fingers absolutely motionless. Douglas Niedt in his fast AMI scales videos and Roland Schlieder in his master class videos show world class right hand techniques that don't seem to directly incorporate Sakari's ideas. But again, I'm not a cynic so Sakari might be right for some people.
AsturiasFan

Postby Jratwen » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:10 pm

Even though the latter part of Orosz focuses on rhythm more-so than finger movement - I don't see either Orosz or Sakari too much as teaching how to play the guitar or even to be a musician. I think either one is intended to improve finger flexibility, control, independence, and accuracy. The main difference is Sakari intends to teach the fingers to behave well specifically on the guitar.

The main thing I am after is training my hand to behave as five individual fingers rather than a fist. At best, I am hoping to develop better tools, so that when playing guitar they will be more responsive to to my brain with the result of fewer mis-fires, so to speak.

The appealing thing about Orosz, is that it will not take time away from guitar and hopefully improve finger dexterity and control, which at my age I see as a positive whether playing guitar or not. At the $29.75 price (which I haven't spent yet), it seems something fun to experiment with, and if I do not like it I can just consider it a throw-away at that price. Who know, maybe I will still s*ck at guitar but end up with killer typing skills :lol: . At my age, it becomes a matter of use it or lose it as far as finger dexterity. I think this could be a good thing in that regard if nothing else.

Not to change the Thread, but have tried the first few days of Sakari's free lessons. His method for fingernail shaping is working great. Though the shape is a bit different than I had learned and been using from Scott Tennant, I have tone on all six strings like I have never had before, particularly for i and m with good solid tone and no scratching on the wound strings.

Not expecting to convince anyone of anything. And particularly not in the mood to do the duck and cover :chaud: . Just felt like adding my thoughts for whatever they may be worth.

Thanks - Jim

Jratwen

Postby Paul Saywood » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:38 am

Its always interesting to read or hear about a method that makes things easier, but the fees, (although not a lot) just make me suspicious, I've never known of any miracle that has to be paid for to be what it claims to be. Believe in anything enough and you'll see the difference, pay for it and you've more reason to believe...

I'm not being difficult here, but when someone has something really relovutionary in guitar circles the credit they ask for is recognotion and not cash.
Paul Saywood

Return to Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists