„The sound of bells" sons de Carrilhoes, Joao Pernambuco

Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.
Forum rules
Respect Copyrights : Any messages offering illegal material or links to sites that provide unauthorized, copyrighted material will be removed by the moderators.

„The sound of bells" sons de Carrilhoes, Joao Pernambuco

Postby singvomblatt » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:09 pm

hallo,

does anybody know where I could find the scores for: „The sound of bells" (sons de Carrilhoes), by the brasilien composer Joao Pernambuco?
I could not find it in the Delcamp collection. Concerning the level of this piece to me it is a little harder than Maria Luisa by Sagrega.
But where can I find it. Any ideas?
singvomblatt

Re: „The sound of bells" sons de Carrilhoes, Joao Pernambuc

Postby DanielMcPherson » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:35 pm

It's in delcamp_volume5.pdf. Look for the "Collection of scores for classical guitar - levels D05 to D07" link from the board index.

Also you can click the name "Pernambuco" from the forum header to go to http://www.pernambucojoao.com/, which also has Sons de Carillhões as a pdf.
DanielMcPherson

Postby Soller » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:38 pm

It is in the page 112 of volume 5 (Delcamp).
As to the difficulty, I think it is one or two levels above Maria Luisa (Sagreras)...
Good luck!
Soller

Postby Tarbaby » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:24 pm

There are a few different arrangements of this piece. Some use harmonics in one spot in the B section (I think M. Delcamp's version does) and some use different rhythms in the accompanying chords.

I would suggest listening to as many versions as you can find. There are quite a few on Delcamp as MP3s and Videos (you can sort them by "subject"), as well as tons of YouTube videos.

Alan
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Languages: English, German, Classical Guitar.
2003 Sergio Abreu; 1976 Granada
Tarbaby

Postby wolfgang » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:27 am

Tarbaby wrote:..., as well as tons of YouTube videos.

where you shouldn't miss out Carlos Barbosa Lima's virtuoso version of this piece.
The piano keys are black and white,
But they sound like a million colours in your mind. (Katie Melua)
wolfgang

Postby singvomblatt » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:06 pm

Thanks everybody,

sometimes, I don't know, you seach and seach and cannot find it yourself. Therefore nice to have friends here!!
singvomblatt

Postby Dave the Great » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:48 pm

DanielMcPherson wrote:... Also you can click the name "Pernambuco" from the forum header to go to http://www.pernambucojoao.com/, which also has Sons de Carillhões as a pdf.

What are the octet flower shapes? Are they supposed to be the harmonics?
Thanks!
Dave the Great

Postby Soller » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:20 pm

I do not think there are harmonics in the "original" score, may be in some other arrangement.
I have seen more frequently the first bars of the second part played in pizzicato.
There are a lot of misspellings of the title though. The correct is as is in the subject of this post: "Sons de Carrilhões".
Soller

Postby Dave the Great » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:34 am

Soller wrote:I do not think there are harmonics in the "original" score, may be in some other arrangement.
I have seen more frequently the first bars of the second part played in pizzicato.
There are a lot of misspellings of the title though. The correct is as is in the subject of this post: "Sons de Carrilhões".

I checked out Carlos Barbosa Lima's version and there were harmonics, but then saw David Russel's version and it was sans harmonics.

Still not sure what the little octet flowers symbolize in the Delcamp version. That is why I was wondering if it meant harmonics.
Dave the Great

Postby Tarbaby » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:58 am

Dave the Great wrote:Still not sure what the little octet flowers symbolize in the Delcamp version.

Hi Dave.

M. Delcamp often uses those symbols in his arrangements. They mean for you to dampen the preceding note. I haven't seen them used much anywhere else.

Alan
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Languages: English, German, Classical Guitar.
2003 Sergio Abreu; 1976 Granada
Tarbaby

Postby Soller » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:47 pm

I checked out Carlos Barbosa Lima's version and there were harmonics, but then saw David Russel's version and it was sans harmonics. (...)

Barbosa Lima's is probably the most altered version in relation to the original (which is basically the one everybody plays), and I think is the only one I saw with harmonics. Delcamp's is closer to the original and does not have them.
Soller

Postby Luis_Br » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:52 pm

Actually there is no orginal. all of them are arrengements from popular knowledge. Pernambuco couldn't write a score. It seems recently an old recording by Pernambuco of this piece was found, but nobody I ask have already listened to it.
Dilermando Reis learnt it directly from Pernambuco, so some scholars here say Dilermando's recording is probably the most faithful version, and he plays with a different rhythm figure than palyed by most classical players (Russell or Delcamp's arrangement). But it is also possible that Dilermando played his own way, because he was a popoular guitarist, he was not that classical performer who really care playing each note exactly like composer said.
Luis_Br

Postby relayer66 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:05 pm

I have the book "Latin-American Guitar Solos" by Sophocles Papas and Carlos Barbosa Lima. The version of the song in this book is by Mr Papas, not Mr Lima, but it has the harmonics.
Is there a different Lima version published, and if so, where?
Aparicio AA100 CD/IN
Yamaha CG171SF
relayer66

Postby Aryeh » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:21 pm

relayer66 wrote:I have the book "Latin-American Guitar Solos" by Sophocles Papas and Carlos Barbosa Lima. The version of the song in this book is by Mr Papas, not Mr Lima, but it has the harmonics.
Is there a different Lima version published, and if so, where?

Scroll down this page-

http://www.finefretted.com/html/querico ... tions.html

Sons da Carrilhoes-$9.00- Joåo Pernambuco/arr. by Carlos Barbosa Lima
As played in concert and masterclasses by the Maestro, it's incredible-with a verse in harmonics.
Aryeh

Postby Soller » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:45 am

Luis_Br wrote:Actually there is no orginal. all of them are arrengements from popular knowledge. Pernambuco couldn't write a score. ...)

Well, João Pernambuco was not only unable to write scores, as many composers of his time, but was also illiterate. It does not mean "that there is no original". Original in this sense is more a "poetic license", I agree, but the scores written by Turibio Santos, Joao Borges, et al. are very consistent along the time and are considered to be representative of what Joao has composed and played. Heitor Villa Lobos was one that is said to have helped to write Joao's songs, although I have not seen any of these "originals".
Soller

Next

Return to Search for classical guitar sheet music