Really enjoying Maxixe - what other pieces are similar?

A "classroom" environment for exchanging Technical Questions & Answers, How-To's, music theory concepts, etc.

Really enjoying Maxixe - what other pieces are similar?

Postby jhumber » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:36 pm

Hey all,

I've been working through Barrios's Maxixe piece for a few weeks and have really enjoyed it. I'm not hugely familiar with classical guitar repertoire, so was hoping you guys could recommend some pieces for me which you think I'd enjoy.

Even better - if you have a link to the score online that would be great :)

Thanks in advance
Jordan
jhumber

Re: Really enjoying Maxixe - what other pieces are similar?

Postby 60moo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:01 am

The marvellous thing about Maxixe is that it is much easier to play than it sounds, and it's great to have a "showoff" piece where the notes fall so naturally under the fingers. I'm sure you'll find plenty more in the Barrios repertoire that are similarly to your taste - even his lullaby Villancico de Navidad rewards the player more than the minimal effort expended in learning it.

Enjoyable works too by Villa Lobos (e.g. the Preludes, Choros #1) and Lauro (e.g. Vals #3, Seis Por Derecho), with solid rhythms and lots of chords/open strings, also reflect how comfortable these three composers were when writing for their own instrument.
60moo

Postby Tedi » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:26 am

jhumber wrote:Hey all,

I've been working through Barrios's Maxixe piece for a few weeks and have really enjoyed it. I'm not hugely familiar with classical guitar repertoire, so was hoping you guys could recommend some pieces for me which you think I'd enjoy.

Even better - if you have a link to the score online that would be great :)

Thanks in advance
Jordan

How about Danza Paraguaya also by Barrios?
Tedi

Postby Rewing » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:56 pm

I love that song (Maxixe) but I am a long way from playing it decently. I saw a guy on youtube play it, he was good but his hand cramped 2/3 s through the song. Best cleanest rendition so far is by Antigoni. Her recording was much better than John Williams. I really like Barrios and my next favorite song is El sueño de la muñeca, then Mabelita. Did you know Barrios played with one steel string? PDF Music can be downloaded from icelandic school of music or even on this site.
Rewing

Postby Paul Hammer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:40 pm

I would recommend:

Xaranga do VovĂ´ by Celso Machado

available at: [Direct link to copyrighted material deleted]

(Cesar Amaro's site)

Also a piece by Barrios called:- Don Perez Freire. It's a nice tango.

Paul

Paul
Paul Hammer
Amateur luthier

Postby Harry Jess » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:28 pm

Jordan, I can also deeply recommend Barrios' "Julia Florida" in drop D, just like "Villancico de Navidad" and "Danza Paraguaya". Then you try "Vidalita" by the same composer. In addition I can recommend the Brazilian composers D. Reis, Baden-Powell, Nogueira and not least Pernambuco's haunting "Sons de carrilhoes". I understand we share the same taste!
Best wishes
Harry
Harry Jess

Postby coot » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:38 pm

The Maxixe is an old time brasilian dance, in 2/4 time, with a distinctive bouncing rhythm. Celso Machado's Xaranga do Vovo is an excellent example, available in solo and duo versions, but there are many more. It is typical of early Choro music, so almost anything with the word choro in it will probably appeal to you. Classic choro composers include Ernesto Nazareth, Pixinguinha, Jacob do Bandolim and Joao Pernambuco (although only the last of these was a guitarist). Dilermando Reis is also a great favourite of mine!

nick
coot

Postby jhumber » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:55 pm

Guys,
Thanks for all the suggestions - they'll keep me busy and entertained for many months to come :)
Cheers!
Jordan
jhumber

Postby Peter Johnson » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:43 am

I'm also looking at all the suggestions here! Great!
Second Pernambuco's 'Sons de Carrilhoes', also his 'Sonho de Magia' is another one...
"Things in music are not difficult, just unexpected". Nadia Boulanger
Peter Johnson

Postby Soller » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:04 pm

morcus wrote:I'm also looking at all the suggestions here! Great!
Second Pernambuco's 'Sons de Carrilhoes', also his 'Sonho de Magia' is another one...

Pernambuco's "Sonho de Magia" is a beautiful song and is said to have inspired Villa Lobos to compose one of his preludes. But it is not a "maxixe", it is a waltz.
Soller

Postby Peter Johnson » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:28 am

In this thread many beautiful South American pieces of music have been mentioned, many of which are not in 2/4 time, which I am beginning to understand is a mark of a 'maxixe'.
What actually is a Maxixe?
"Things in music are not difficult, just unexpected". Nadia Boulanger
Peter Johnson

Postby Harry Jess » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:35 pm

morcus, while you are waiting for the experts on maxixe, you can have a look at an article on that topic in Wikipedia. And, Paul, "Xaranga do vovo" was spot on! Reminds me of "Sons de carrilhoes".
Harry
Harry Jess

Postby coot » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:57 pm

There is a brief article on Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxixe_(dance) that tells you more. The Maxixe is, as you said in 2/4 time, with the melody usually in semiquavers (16th notes). The chordal vamp at the start of Barrios' Maxixe is very typical for the style.
The terminology is confused - for example Ernesto Nazareth wrote Maxixes, but preferred to call them Tangos - his best known piece, Odeon, is a good example, . although they have nothing to do with what we today call tango. As the article says, Maxixe music is a subgenre of Choro, but the definition of Choro is also obscure, and brasilian music forums are full of arguments about what the name means.

In any event, it's highly enjoyable music!

Nick
coot

Return to Classical Guitar Classes