Terada Guitar Fan Club

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.

Terada Guitar Fan Club

Postby Whooper » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:44 am

In response to wishes and requests, I have just established The Terada Guitar Fan Club. Though Terada is not one of the finest Japanese luthiers, was very popular, produced and exported good classical models in 50' - 60'. I knew owners in America, U.K., Spain, and Italy. You are cordially invited to our club.

Whooper
Representative
Acting

Below was copied from an English mini forum in the Italian front.

Dear all,

It is my great pleasure to inform you of an establishment of the Terada Guitar Fan Club. Terada is one of old guitar manufacturers in Japan. They started the production in 50' and have survived till now. I knew Terada classical guitars live in the U.S., U.K, and Milano. Recenly, I got a vintage one produced by the Founder, Hikozo Terada.

Terada Guitar Model 1200 spruce top
Terada-1.jpg

Back beautiful curly maple
Terada-4.jpg

Centered ornament typical for old guitars
Terada-3.jpg

Beautiful maple body
Terada-5.jpg

Broken neck
Terada-8.jpg

Hammered down
Terada-9.jpg

Frets and fingerboard look okay.
Terada-10.jpg

As you see, she is severely damaged. It looks that the owner hammered down the neck trying to take it off. Why? Awful, cruel, beyond my imagination. I want this to be restored. I have sent a letter and a set of images to the producer. They don't produce classical models any more, however, they will be surprised to meet their lost child.
I will let you know of her future story.

Kindest regards
Whooper

Report this postReply with quote Re: Terada Guitar Fan Club
by Tarbaby » Wed 23 Dec 2009, 16:10

You certainly know about guitars, Whooper-san!
Thank you for the lovely photos. I've never seen a back like that! Very beautiful. What year is this guitar from?

Alan
Tarbaby

by whooper » Wed 23 Dec 2009, 23:57

Hi Alan-san,

Very sorry, without you permission, I opened up this thread. Maple was used in 50' - 70' for so-so classical guitars in Japan. My KONO 1956 (Maestro Masaru Kohno had labeled KONO till mid 1960') has curly maple body and back. Terada started from a classical model in 50' so I guess maybe a half-century back. I will let you know of her identity when I hear from her birth palce. For your reference, here is my Kono 1956 of which I bought in a net acution two years ago. She was shabby and damaged. She has a beautiful tiger pattern, curly maple.

My vintage KONO 1956 before an initial restoration.
7.jpg

Here is her first song "Sad tune".
http://www.box.net/shared/dn8z0qqta1

I asked Maestro Masaki Sakurai, successor of the worldly famous Kohno factory, to fix her back. She came back in a good shape. I asked her 2nd surgery. She is now under overhauling in her birth place. I wish my Terada has a similar medicare by her family members.

Have a nice holiday season
Whooper

by gian667 » Thu 24 Dec 2009, 21:26

wow whooper-san

you made it ! I will post my terada guitar pictures here in the next days (should have some time, thanks to these holidays)

have a nice holiday ! gian667

by whooper » Fri 25 Dec 2009, 10:55

Hi, here comes a gospel. I got an official notice from the Terada Guitar Manufacturing informing me of her health check. She will depart early next year for her birth place.

Kindest regards
WhooperGuitars: Kohno model 7 1970 Masaru Matano 1967

by Joseph Krygier » Fri 01 Jan 2010, 04:58

That is a nice job of parenting. Happy New Year to all.

Joseph Krygier

by whooper » Sat 09 Jan 2010, 20:38

Happy New Year dear all,

My vintage Terada can be restored at about US$450, the vendor replied. Also mine was produced around 1960. Then their highest model cost Yen 12,000. Mine was next at Yen 10,000. A half century ago it was a fairy good price.
Gian667-san: They reported "El Torres" brand was handled by a trading firm in Tokyo around 1970. It cost Yen 10,000. so so good value. Mine comes back in two months. I look forward to her rebirth.

Regards
Whooper

by Matt Molloy » Sun 10 Jan 2010, 07:30

Hi Whooper,

My Dad has an old Terada steel string that he's been playing for over 20 years. I very rarely come across them at all but his has served him well all this time. Lovely sounding too. Hope you enjoy the new lease of life that yours will undoubtably have. Love the maple on that back.

Cheers,
Matt. Matt Molloy

by whooper » Sun 10 Jan 2010, 10:36

Hi Matt-san,

Thank you for your words. Terada has produced lots of kinds for over a half century. Your father is an honorable member here.

Kindest regards
Whooper

by Matt Molloy » Sun 10 Jan 2010, 10:58

whooper wrote:

Hi Matt-san,

Thank you for your words. Terada has produced lots of kinds for over a half century. Your father is an honorable member here.

Kindest regards
Whooper

Hi Whooper-san,

Domo arigato gozaimashita. Will let my father know.

Cheers,
Matt. (Classical Guitarist and Kendoka).
Matt Molloy

by gian667 » Mon 11 Jan 2010, 05:42

Hello Whooper-san

nice to hear from you again ! (btw: happy new year ) thank you once more for the info about the terada - el torres connection !

gian667

Continued
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Log on to the forum and post a few messages to get permission to view these files.
Last edited by Whooper on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guitars: Kono 1956, Hikozo Terada 1964, Kohno Model 7 1970, Masaru Matano 1967 & 1977
Whooper

Re: Terada Guitar Fan Club

Postby Whooper » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:55 am

by Lorette » Sun 24 Jan 2010, 14:49

May I join the Club?

I have a vintage Terada that dates back to 1962. The wood isn't as beautiful as Whooper-san's, but it does have a full rich sound. I love my Terada

Lorette Attachments
Vintage Terada.jpg

Lorette

by whooper » Mon 25 Jan 2010, 14:15

Hi Lorette neh san,

Very glad to welcome you here! When I knew your Terada frist, I was quite astonished. I look forward to seeing our club expand over the oceans and beyond national borders.

Have a nice day
Whooper

by whooper » Thu 04 Mar 2010, 08:58

Dear all,

Has spring come near you? So-so in Tokyo Would you join in our club? In a Japanese net auction, a G 60 vintage model is on sale at a junk price, Yen 1,000, approx. US$ 11. She looks pretty good in shape. She was born around 1960. I will buy, tune her up, and ship on an actual cost basis for you. Me? I have already two vintages.

Have a nice day
Whooper

Terada G 60 label
Terada G-60.jpg

Terada G 60 Top & Back
Terada G-60-1.jpg

Terada G 60 Body
Terada G-60-2.jpg

by Tarbaby » Sat 06 Mar 2010, 08:11

Eleven dollars?!?!

The shipping will cost more than that! Congratulations, Whooper-san!

My vintage Terada is back
by whooper » Sun 04 Apr 2010, 18:28

Dear all,

It is my great pleasure to introduce you my vintage Terada guitar, "Forest" model produced in 1960. She is fully refurbished. I paid approx. US$ 420 for her heavy surgery.
Neck and bridge are glued tightly.

Terako-1a.jpg

For comparison, I play the same piece. First one is on Terada. Second one is on Kohno #7 1970. Terada produces a particular seasoned maple sound.

http://www.box.net/shared/e5qz51rkcc
http://www.box.net/shared/f1jrshrgic

My father liked "Torna a Surriento" very much. In honor of Italian Delcampers, especially Romanello-san, I tried his transcription.

http://www.box.net/shared/7bq59x6ar5
Have fun
Whooper

by whooper » Tue 11 May 2010, 20:27

Dear all,

How have you been doing? In Japan, May is a good season before a gloomy June rainy season. Going outdoor is best now.

I have sent another Terada Jakaranda model, high end in 4, to his birth place. Its intonation is a bit inaccurate. Parents will adjust a nut, saddle, bridge, and fretboard. Cost? They quoted at approx. US$300. I will let you know when he comes back in two months.

Good night
Whooper
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. Log on to the forum and post a few messages to get permission to view these files.
Guitars: Kono 1956, Hikozo Terada 1964, Kohno Model 7 1970, Masaru Matano 1967 & 1977
Whooper

My Wind model back

Postby Whooper » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:40 am

Once I introduced my Wind model out of the Terada quartet in 1960. He sounded so so.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=49495&p=534319&hilit=whooper+carulli#p534319

Pitches over 5F were bit inaccurate. So I asked Terada to check and adjust him.

Nut was renewed.
P1010150.JPG

Saddle was also renewed.
P1010152.JPG

The bridge went up by 2 mm.
P1010158.JPG

Top recoated.
P1010153.JPG

Neck thickness at 1 - 2F became thin by whittlihg.
P1010155.JPG

It cost approx. US $500. but got quite better. I play this duirng off hours in office. Nice half century vintage. I love Terada.

Bye now :bye:
Whooper

Postby Vlad Kosulin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Off-topic, but I also love Terada, the different one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y1lqwvG ... re=related :lol:
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)
Vlad Kosulin

Postby Whooper » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:57 pm

Hey Kosulin san,

Thank you for your posting. Do you practise martial arts? I didn't do an acrobatic style but an orthodox Karate in my late 20'.

Cheers
Whooper
Whooper

Postby Vlad Kosulin » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:34 pm

Yes, I do.
I practiced Sambo (soviet martial arts, a mix of Judo, karate and some other styles) 25 years ago, and do *** Taekwondo with both my sons now. This is why I can't play with nails 8)
Regards,
Vlad
(still testing various strings with 2006 Sebastian Stenzel and Olinda OC-300)
Vlad Kosulin

Postby Whooper » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:26 am

Hi Kosulin san,

I am so envious of your practising Taekondo with your sons. My only daughter dislikes martial arts. Okay, could you take a roll of elite guard for our club? :lol:

Have a nice day
Whooper
Whooper

Postby dng » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:17 am

year: about 1974
stamped ser.#: 01784 - 330
scale: 650
wood and construction: still searching for infos.
Tera0454.jpg
Tera0455.jpg
Tera0456.jpg
Tera0457.jpg
Tera0460.jpg
Last edited by dng on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Frederic Chopin
dng

Postby Whooper » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:39 am

Dear TFC members,

If you could find a serial number in your baby, let me know

Regards :D
Whooper
Whooper

Postby jorpheus » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Dear all,

Also I would apply for membership.

Here is my Terada, model TG-315. Spruce top, laminated back and sides (very beautiful rosewood, also on the inner side, but the pattern is different from the outside). Beautifully carved head, quite special shape. The serial number (heel) is "S 522 020". The bracing is nearly parallel, with a full horizontal bar at the end, looks to me like a mixture of what I know from the later Kohnos and the classic fan-type bracing. It is a beautiful guitar because of the wood and the purflings that use the same pattern as the rosette.

I bought it cheap last year and left it in the case. It needs some work on the action and settings. The sound is nice but probably far from optimum. It is easy to play.

Is it a signature on the label or a print?

Some pictures enclosed,

jorpheus
jorpheus

Postby Whooper » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:05 am

Good morning dear jorpheus san,

Welcome to our club You are the first French member. Your baby looks quite gorgeous and well manufactured. Bracings are all right? According to my Terada serial number list dated back to 1949, yours falls in a lot of 1962. Nealy half century vintage, congratulations!

Terada has been managed by the Terada family. The founder was Hikozo Terada. His name is on my two vintages in Chinese characters. Your M. Terada is a seal, probably 2nd generation. Terada has produced lots of models. I will upload some images of brothers and sisters.

Best regards :bye:
Whooper
Whooper

Postby A.D. » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:29 am

Dear all, glad to join the Club.
Following my earlier exchange with Whooper-sensei in another subforum, here are some more pictures of my Terada:
C308N-Front.JPG
C308N-Back.JPG
C308N-Side.JPG
C308N-Head.JPG
C308N-Inside Top.JPG
C308N-Inside Back.JPG

Generally speaking, it is built very much ‘by the textbook’: an honest simplified classic.
Inside, the soundboard bracing has a 3-ray fan, 3 transverse struts and a square block under the bridge; another 3 struts to the back; plain linings.
In fact, it looks very similar to the C60 and Lorette's 1962 model displayed here before.
One difference is the shape of the headstock top. It seems that Terada, unlike most makers, do not stick to one and only headstock design. Another thing is the decorative stud in the bridge, covering the fixing screw. It's a full 3 mm away from the centre line! This is an enigma to me: technically, it makes sense to move the fixing point towards the more heavily loaded side, but then they could have covered it more symmetrically, just for the looks of it, given that in all other respects the instrument is very neatly built. Also, many makers would have simply used two screws.
I'd be grateful if someone offered an explanation :merci:
Have a good day :bye:
A.D.

Postby Whooper » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:59 am

Hi A.D. san,

Thank you for your enrollment in our club and more feedback on your Terada Uh....auch! Looking at the whole shape and design, I changed my mind. I dare to say yours is older than my first judgement. Under the digits 45 2 4 in question, MADE IN JAPAN stamped, right? If we took it true, this was born in 1951 due to my serial number list. Oldest one, probably export model, in our club. The fixing screw is peculiar to older latice models in Japan. Then steel strings were popular. Yamaha, a giant music company, started producing contemporary Spanish models in 1963. Before that date, you say "no Yamaha guitar?" No, they had produced "Dynamic" series in 50'. My friend got a shabby one, I checked and cleaned it up. That applies latice braces and an exact same reinforcing method. Anyway, I will send a questionnaire to Terada when we file up questions. I am happy to be of your little help.

Have a nice day :D
Whooper
Whooper

Postby Whooper » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:09 am

As for the dng-san's model.

year: about 1974
stamped ser.#: 01784 - 330

I tried to figure this out in the similar manner. This numbering falls in a production span from 1965 to 1972. First 1 or 2 digits means Month, next one does the last digit of relevant Year, others do Production number. A model number follows. Accordingly, January 1967, 84th products, 330 model. In the late 60', there happened big folk song and then electric guitar booms in Japan. Many classical guitar makers shifted their lines in accoustic and electric models. Terada seems to have switched in late 60'.

Regards :)
Whooper
Whooper

Postby jorpheus » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:06 am

Whooper wrote: Terada has produced lots of models. I will upload some images of brothers and sisters.

Good morning from Europe,

That would be great, to see more of these interesting guitars! And: thank you for this "Terada Guitar Fan Club". I believe that providing more information is useful. In the history of classic guitar in the 20th century, there is also some "lost" information, at least not easy to find. Of course we all know the famous luthiers and players. But the popularity of CG is also due to the availability of these other instruments. For example, I discovered a similar case with a guitar from J. Orozco (actually made in Nagoya, too), who had an important shop in New York in the 70ies, a real "impresario", who also organized concerts and produced nylon strings - he also edited and printed the guitar lessons by C. Romero. After all, the big workshops in Spain like Ramirez and (later) for example Alhambra, and the different workshops in Nagoya in Japan, helped a lot to make CG accessible for many people. This is important.

Indeed Terada is quite well known for steel-string and electric guitars, starting already in the early 70ies, and as far as I see, all of them are considered excellent value. However I did not know how old my Terada guitar is. When I bought it, I was attracted by the nice wood and artwork. But as I said, the frets and/or the nut need some work. It sounds nice in the higher frets (and easy to play) but there is some buzzing on the lower frets, high E and B strings. So now I will ask my favorite workshop in Paris to fix it.

This is then the oldest guitar that I own. My second oldest is a Marin Montero (Flamenca) from 1971. I am actually not collecting all kinds of guitars, it is more like exploring the sounds of different types. Really old guitars need a lot of care and attention, and are indeed collection items (like Granary guitars).

Best wishes,

jorpheus :bye:
jorpheus

Next

Return to The Café