Looking for a Luthier in The Philippines

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
yellowboots

Looking for a Luthier in The Philippines

Postby yellowboots » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:29 am

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I am looking for a luthier in The Philippines. He goes by the name of "Demetrio". I did a search on delcamp and someone from this forum has acquired about him before and I believe that he lives in the City of Cebu.

Two years ago, I paid deposit for his guitar through a middleman. However, I have not yet received the guitar and the middleman told me that he cannot find the luthier. However, this middle man is not willing to return me the money by saying that he has already paid the deposit to the luthier. I am trying to locate the luthier but I can't find him.

Can any filipinos help me? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

sbliss554

Re: Looking for a Luthier in The Philippines

Postby sbliss554 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:02 pm

Im sorry to hear that, the Filipino luthier that made my guitar is Nicholas C. (http://ncguitars.com/) try emailing them to see if they might know him. Best of luck.

yellowboots

Re: Looking for a Luthier in The Philippines

Postby yellowboots » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:13 pm

sbliss554 wrote:Im sorry to hear that, the Filipino luthier that made my guitar is Nicholas C. (http://ncguitars.com/) try emailing them to see if they might know him. Best of luck.


Thank you. By the way, do you live in The Philippines?

Because I will also be very appreciative if anyone can give me a reliable Filipino search engine or a search directory that will help me in searching for him.

User avatar
mandarin
Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:22 am
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: Looking for a Luthier in The Philippines

Postby mandarin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:09 am

hi yellowboots

welcome to delcamp

please check your personal message :)

best regards
Joseph Ramos
Manila, Philippines

sbliss554

Re: Looking for a Luthier in The Philippines

Postby sbliss554 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:23 am

yellowboots wrote:
sbliss554 wrote:Im sorry to hear that, the Filipino luthier that made my guitar is Nicholas C. (http://ncguitars.com/) try emailing them to see if they might know him. Best of luck.


Thank you. By the way, do you live in The Philippines?

Because I will also be very appreciative if anyone can give me a reliable Filipino search engine or a search directory that will help me in searching for him.


Sorry, but I live in the U.S. (I'm half Filipino) I don't know any other sites.

Julian
Posts: 406
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:32 am

Re: Looking for a Luthier in The Philippines

Postby Julian » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:46 am

It is always better to buy a guitar from a reputable guitar shop, a dealer or a luthier: be it for student model guitar or concert guitar, which I have always done.

You may check a luthier from the Philippines by the name Derechou. But I think Derechou has his reputation in tact and he is unlikely to keep your money unscrupulously.

For my direct order guitar, hitherto I still maintain good contact with the luthiers, and they are either helpful or still charming.

Julian
Masaru Kohno No.50 - 1981
Oskar Graf - 2000
Bert Kwakkel - 2002
Fritz Ober - 2007
Richard Brune - 2011

Nathaniel

Re: Looking for a Luthier in The Philippines

Postby Nathaniel » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:53 pm

Correction, it should be "Derecho". His full name is Armando "Tabo" Derecho.

Julian wrote:It is always better to buy a guitar from a reputable guitar shop, a dealer or a luthier: be it for student model guitar or concert guitar, which I have always done.

You may check a luthier from the Philippines by the name Derechou. But I think Derechou has his reputation in tact and he is unlikely to keep your money unscrupulously.

For my direct order guitar, hitherto I still maintain good contact with the luthiers, and they are either helpful or still charming.

Julian

mezzo_piano
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: Looking for a Luthier in The Philippines

Postby mezzo_piano » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:34 am

[quote="Nathaniel"]Correction, it should be "Derecho". His full name is Armando "Tabo" Derecho.

I think I have email this person before about ordering a guitar... I found his email in Philippine Guitar Festival 2010 site before...
My Guitar, my only companion
In sorrow, in happiness, in trouble
Through my hands, fingers
From my heart
My guitar speaks for me
In every note, emotion comes
In every smile nor tears
I'm glad i have my guitar

Rolland Ross Magtagnob
Manila, Philippines

mezzo_piano
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: Looking for a Luthier in The Philippines

Postby mezzo_piano » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:47 am

sbliss554 wrote:Im sorry to hear that, the Filipino luthier that made my guitar is Nicholas C. (http://ncguitars.com/) try emailing them to see if they might know him. Best of luck.


Bliss, are you using this model "Ramirez Style Ebony/Englemann Classical" by Nicholas?
My Guitar, my only companion
In sorrow, in happiness, in trouble
Through my hands, fingers
From my heart
My guitar speaks for me
In every note, emotion comes
In every smile nor tears
I'm glad i have my guitar

Rolland Ross Magtagnob
Manila, Philippines

Nathaniel

Re: Looking for a Luthier in The Philippines

Postby Nathaniel » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:42 am

mezzo_piano wrote:
Nathaniel wrote:Correction, it should be "Derecho". His full name is Armando "Tabo" Derecho.

I think I have email this person before about ordering a guitar... I found his email in Philippine Guitar Festival 2010 site before...


Hi mezzo_piano,

I just met tabo Derecho last Saturday in the Philippine Guitar Festival 2011. His guitars are around $2,000, quite loud too and he plays concerts with them. Humble and wise man. Below is my picture with him, he's the man in green shirt.

Image

User avatar
el baroda
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:44 pm
Location: sydney, australia

Re: Looking for a Luthier in The Philippines

Postby el baroda » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:48 am

Hi Nathaniel. I have met Tabo twice since 2007. I bought one of his guitars in September 2008. Excellent guitar. I highly recommend it. I am saving up for another TD guitar, maybe a spruce top this time. I will probably see him and other Delcampers in Manila on my next visit home around March 2012. Good luck.
El Baroda, Sydney
I shall pass this way but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to another person, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again. - Anon.

Nathaniel

Re: Looking for a Luthier in The Philippines

Postby Nathaniel » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:08 am

Hi El Baroda, That's nice to know! :-) I hope to meet you next year. Maybe you should come here in the next Philippine International Guitar festival :-) I am thinking of saving for a TD guitar too, or maybe just buy a used TD guitar.

mezzo_piano
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:03 pm
Location: Manila, Philippines

Re: Looking for a Luthier in The Philippines

Postby mezzo_piano » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:52 am

Hi Nathaniel, I was in the concerts last Friday and Saturday. Though I never had a chance to meet them on Saturday due to other appointment after the concert. It was my first time attending the festival and I just give me enough urge to study more... Thanks to the organizer.

Last friday, I talk to the person selling the Jose Ramirez Guitar. They are selling great guitars starting $2000 USD including hard shell case in the package. I'm thinking to buy on of their guitars before this year ends but I'll have TD guitar in consideration...
My Guitar, my only companion
In sorrow, in happiness, in trouble
Through my hands, fingers
From my heart
My guitar speaks for me
In every note, emotion comes
In every smile nor tears
I'm glad i have my guitar

Rolland Ross Magtagnob
Manila, Philippines

Nathaniel

Re: Looking for a Luthier in The Philippines

Postby Nathaniel » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:08 am

mezzo_piano wrote:Hi Nathaniel, I was in the concerts last Friday and Saturday. Though I never had a chance to meet them on Saturday due to other appointment after the concert. It was my first time attending the festival and I just give me enough urge to study more... Thanks to the organizer.

Last friday, I talk to the person selling the Jose Ramirez Guitar. They are selling great guitars starting $2000 USD including hard shell case in the package. I'm thinking to buy on of their guitars before this year ends but I'll have TD guitar in consideration...


Wow that's a great deal! I can't believe Jose Ramirez's great grand niece lives here in the Philippines, and she's fluent in Tagalog and Ilonggo :-)


Return to “Luthiers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChristianSchwengeler, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], guthriej, Intune, jfguitar, Lance Litchfield, Les Backshall, mqbernardo, Rick-in-Annapolis, TheEvan, Tim522 and 47 guests