The buzzing D string

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.

The buzzing D string

Postby Godina » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:11 am

Is anyone anoyed with a buzzing D string, even with all frets well leveled ? I had standard tension strings on my guitar and replaced the D one with a high tension one, which greatly reduces the buzz. I do prefer low tension strings on that guitar but will I have to deal with bying two sets of strings (one high and one normal tension) to get rid of the buzz ?

ag
Godina

Re: The buzzing D string

Postby KeMe » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:03 am

Welcome to the Delcamp forum, Godina.
There has been quite a bit of information discussed about the buzzing D string. If you use the search function at the top of the page, you will find it.

I would like to invite you to introduce yourself to the other members of the forum here.

Kay :sorride:
Music touches the heart, but playing classical guitar can lift your heart and enrich your life.
KeMe

Postby elindley » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:18 am

Godina wrote:Is anyone anoyed with a buzzing D string, even with all frets well leveled ? I had standard tension strings on my guitar and replaced the D one with a high tension one, which greatly reduces the buzz. I do prefer low tension strings on that guitar but will I have to deal with bying two sets of strings (one high and one normal tension) to get rid of the buzz ?

ag

Most of the good stores (check the internet) will sell you individual strings, so you don't need to buy a whole set.

Check this thread for the name and url of one store a lot of us like. :wink:

-- Edward
English | Fresno, California | Kenny Hill Signature Double Top | La Bella 2001 Concert Series Extra Hard Tension
"Never look at the trombones, it only encourages them." -- Richard Strauss
elindley

Postby Godina » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:15 am

elindley,

actually, I noticed and that was my intention to buy strings individually. I asked to see if someone else had the same issue. Thanks for the reply, it answers my question.

Guitaristically yours,

Andres
Godina

Postby Les Backshall » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:06 am

From another thread; by member Steven D'Antonio:

Ok this is something I learned this weekend. There are two components to the vibrating string, a transverse component (the string being pulled away from its centerline and released) and a longitudinal wave(a wave running lengthwise along the string due to the differences in mass because the string wasn't plucked exactly in the middle i.e. 12th fret for an open string).

well, being a physicist this part I already knew... this is the new part.

On the 4th string the windings and ratio of nylon to metal is such that this longitudinal wave will express itself as a buzzing sound. This doesn't seem to happen of the other strings. So what you need to do is change the relative masses of the metal to nylon core. This is much easier to do than you would think. Before you put the string through the tuning machine roll the string in the direction of the windings a few times to increase the density of metal windings per unit length of string. This should be enough to change the ratio and eliminate (or reduce) the problem.

Of course your ugly buzz may be caused by a different problem. But when you exhaust all the obvious problems, look for the weird ones.

I am told this happens with a frequency of about 40% percent of the string packages and is independent of string manufacturer. It is just a function of number of turnings, amount of core material and overall thickness of string. - Steven D'Antonio

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK
Les Backshall
Luthier

Postby DaleB » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:18 pm

This post seems to perfectly describe what I experience with Savarez normal tension D string on nearly all my guitars. A very hard to isolate buzz, particularly noticeable on the 2nd and 3rd frets, and occasionally on A string, same spot. Particularly good fretting and higher tension seems to help. Seems worse if I don't pay particular attention to adjacent strings vibrating 'sympathetically' or in combination with specific other notes. Look forward to trying the 'twist' method for tying on!
DaleB

Postby Godina » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:48 pm

Les :
thanks for this very interesting comment from D'Antonio. Actually, I should have added, at the first place, that the buzz is especially present, as Oddity wrote, in the II, II and IV positions. In my case, using a higher tension string eliminates most of the buzz. As well, I could have raise the action for the basses but the play would have been just a little harder. I found the use of specific strings a better compromise. I will still try that string winding to se if the sound changes for a given string. Interesting.

And while you are corresponding with me, I would be grateful you read my introductory note (and additional comments) where I am explaining what I am looking for. You are central to my quest with your arrangement of Couperin's ''Les Barricades Mystérieuses''.

Cheers,

Godina
Godina

Postby es335 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:18 am

Following Les' explanations, you should roll in the direction of the winding, as if you intend to make the winding more tight. Only this will increase its density. Rolling "against" the winding direction will make the winding more loose.

I will definitly consider this on my next string change, as D and A string buzzing is really an issue on my guitar too!
es335

Postby Bman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:28 pm

I've had this issue with a couple of guitars as well. Extremely good fretting at the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fret alleviates it, but, alas, I'm not good enough to always ensure that. So when you wind the string, how do you know which way tightens it? I've looked at several different strings trying to find a direction to the windings, but can't seem to discern which way it's going, even with my rapidly becoming necessary 2.0 readers. :x
Bman

Postby es335 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:53 am

Bman wrote:...I've looked at several different strings trying to find a direction to the windings, but can't seem to discern which way it's going, even with my rapidly becoming necessary 2.0 readers. :x

A magnifying lens could help. Another possibility is, to remove a bit of the winding at one end of the string. The twist of the helix will unveil the orientation of the wrapping.
es335

Postby Dave1947 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:34 pm

Interesting topic all my guitars have buzzed on the 4th and 5th strings at one time or another. The height of the saddle plays a part as well as different strings.
Dave1947

Postby washburn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:24 pm

Wow. I thought I was the only one that had that problem. Sometimes replacing the saddle can help trememdously...
washburn

Postby Dave1947 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:57 am

I think this is a common problem with all classical guitarists. I know all three of my guitars will buzz a little with new strings...they seem to get a little better as they wear in. I always like to set the strings as low as I can for more accurate playability but that opens it up to more buzz on the A and D. Hi tension or raising the saddle helps but makes it harder to play.
Dave1947

Postby jorpheus » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:06 pm

Thank you - I have been "fighting" with my D string for the last 3 hours, trying to figure out where this comes from. I used new Hannabach (black, medium tension) and the buzz was quite strong on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th frets. So I tried to use some shims (paper) under the nut to increase the height of the strings, and it helped a bit, but the buzz never disappeared.

Before, I had red Savarez on the guitar and did not notice this buzzing at all.

The guitar (a Picado 60) is in great shape, no problems with the frets or the neck, as fas as I can see. Also the saddle is high enough, and the height of the strings at the 12 fret is normal, certainly not too low. So I suspected it was something with the new strings but had no idea what.

So, I replaced the D string with a new hard-tension (d'Addario) string and it was immedately much better.

:guitare:
jorpheus

Postby Ramon Amira » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:06 pm

There is no reason whatever for a string to buzz on a properly constructed and set up guitar. It has to do with the relationship of the strings to the frets. The very fact that using a high tension string eliminates the buzz is a good indicator of a fret too high or action too low.

You should have a luthier check the frets and action – he will almost certainly find and fix the problem.

Sometimes as a new guitar dries out the fingerboard shrinks slightly and can push a fret or frets slightly higher. Again, a luthier can easily level the frets.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain
Ramon Amira
Teacher

Next

Return to Classical Guitar Strings