M. Guo Yulong guitar any experience

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments

M. Guo Yulong guitar any experience

Postby dadsb » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:58 pm

Hello everybody,

in a view to remain active, here is my question .. any concret experience of the new double top guitar from M. Guo Yulong.

Best regards

André
lots of lattice & double top, 6 course Lute Paul Tompson, , acoustic guitar , H&D OOSP, Blue Fower fender telecaster and some more
dadsb

Re: M. Guo Yuling guitar any experience

Postby hyz » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:12 pm

Andre,

I played one of his double top in China few months back. To be honest with you, I don't feel it has that kind of power, dynamics range, projection and tonal color of that you can expect from a true double top guitar.

I always tell people. You pay peanut you get monkey. Very simple rule in the open market.

If you really want a good double top invest in one luthier who can really produce good double top and not try to find good bargain from some luthiers just trying their luck to jump on the bandwagon of double top trend.

Just my honest opinion.

hyz
hyz

Postby FHC » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:27 pm

I have been impressed with Frederich Holtier's Double-Top guitars.
FHC

Postby Tom » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:23 am

They are few good double top makers in US. Just google you will find them.
Tom

Postby Finn » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Some of the luthiers out there have the quality of Dammann and Wagner but their guitars cost only a faction of the master. It is really worth it.
Finn

Postby dadsb » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Thanks .. a friend of mine is from Trinidad & Tobago .. and her mother used to say to her ... good thing no cheap , cheap thing no good

Well that seems the case, I will have the opportunity to try one of them .. I will let you know.

Who will be the best double top maker in the US .. for a reasonable budget?

Regards
lots of lattice & double top, 6 course Lute Paul Tompson, , acoustic guitar , H&D OOSP, Blue Fower fender telecaster and some more
dadsb

Postby Finn » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:48 pm

This double top from US is not bad and endosed by Sharon Isbin. Good luck in your hunting.

http://www.reynoldsguitars.com/
Finn

Postby Adam S. Vernon » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:08 pm

I've heard good things about Ross Gutmeier.
fka AdamX
Adam S. Vernon

Postby Tom » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:19 pm

Finn wrote:This double top from US is not bad and endosed by Sharon Isbin. Good luck in your hunting.

http://www.reynoldsguitars.com/

I had played two Reynolds double top guitars. I must admit that they worth every cents you paid for.

When you play a double top alongside with a normal top, you will experience the effect you get like playing a grand piano alongside a normal upright piano. That is the best way to describe my experience with Reynolds double top.
Tom

Postby chelson » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:47 pm

hmm... goat hair grow from the goat body.

Give me ten years from now to save for one, then I can surely play it every day towards my retirement! But hope the Luthier can live till then and making even better guitar for the same price that I'm saving for. Hahaha!

Anyway... Reynolds guitars looks good! :shock: Thanks Finn for the recommendation to dream of. :lol:
chelson

Postby HNLim » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:57 pm

chelson wrote:hmm... goat hair grow from the goat body.

Give me ten years from now to save for one, then I can surely play it every day towards my retirement! But hope the Luthier can live till then and making even better guitar for the same price that I'm saving for. Hahaha!

Anyway... Reynolds guitars looks good! :shock: Thanks Finn for the recommendation to dream of. :lol:

Don't forget to factor in inflation.
1978 Yamaha GC30A - Spruce/Jacaranda
2012 Esteve Adalid - Spruce/BRW
2012 Hippner Custom -Spruce/BRW
2013 Yamaha SLG-110N
2014 Sen Goh Custom - Spruce/BRW (work-in-progress)
HNLim

Postby Jny6strng » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:20 pm

Dear Guitarists,
I just got back from China and while I was there I played a Guo Yulong double top classical guitar.
Specifications:
Chamber Concert
Spruce top
Fan bracing system
Indian rosewood back and sides
Round back
Sound port with wooden Guo Yulong inscription
raised fret board
650 mm

Overall I was pleased with Mr. Guo's guitar. The guitar was loud, with clear dynamic control, pleasing to the ear, and had a smooth play. Also, the guitar was very beautiful. This guitar was sent to me at my in laws apartment in china, so I was able to play the guitar, as well as compare it to two other guitars.

Mr. Guo doesn't utilize a truss rod, and this gave me some hesitation. I like to be able to change the action on a guitar other than by simply filing the bridge, bone and nut.
Also, I noticed that some of his guitars use a lattice bracing system, but I believe that Mr. Guo has changed his concept to include a fan bracing system. This was the the first Guo Yulongspirite top that I have seen, and I would love to be able to try his cedar top chamber concert model. Does anyone have information why Mr. Guo has used the fan bracing system instead of the lattice bracing system he used before???
Last edited by Jny6strng on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,
Jonathan Marshall
Jny6strng

Postby George Crocket » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi Jny6strng

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

If you have not already done so, please have a look at our welcome page for more information about the forum and its rules, then please introduce yourself here for a proper welcome.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar
George Crocket

Postby Jny6strng » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:25 pm

I ended up buying the Yulong Guo guitar, and it sounds great. I'm very happy with the guitar, and yes the Chinese do make fine instruments!!
Sincerely,
Jonathan Marshall
Jny6strng

Postby rojarosguitar » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:40 pm

I played recently (ten days ago) one at London Guitar Studio and was very pleased with it. As I don't have any comparson to double tops on the market I can only say that by itself it was a decent guitar with an even and rather traditional sound and good playability. It had a port on the uppper side which I'm also not used to, so it might have sounded louder than it really projects. Just an impression.

I'm not really sure if all the arguments against it has been brought for by people who have actually tried one. Personally I don't think that there is such a close correlation between price and quality, especially if it comes to compare guitars from different countries with their different income expectations ...

As with all guitars: try it yourself, see if you like it and whether it fits in your budget...

best wishes
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...
rojarosguitar

Next

Return to Luthiers