Contemporary Spanish guitar music

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.

Contemporary Spanish guitar music

Postby Sean Eric Howard » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:19 pm

Does anyone here employ contemporary spanish guitar music in their recitals/programs? By contemporary, I mean a piece written within the past 10 years or less.
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk
Sean Eric Howard

Re: Contemporary Spanish guitar music

Postby David_Norton » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:22 am

I haven't found any I like. Ask me about French, Italian, Canadian, Belgian, English, or USA music of the same time frame and and it's a different tale. I simply haven't yet encountered XXI Century Spanish music which grabs my attention. That could change with the next packet of scores I receive to critique for Soundboard; anything is possible.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
David_Norton

Postby Sean Eric Howard » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:56 pm

I'm trying to purchase the score to Octavio Vazquez's Prelude and Fugue; it seems to be much more difficult to find contemporary pieces.
"Besides, this criticism of Segovia is pointless. If you disagree with what Segovia did, take that energy and go out and do something positive. Otherwise, shut up." - Eliot Fisk
Sean Eric Howard

Postby Kjetil Heggelund » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:46 pm

I have wanted to play Xavier Pages piece "Tridacna" that I found for free on his homepage. Other than that I suggest you search sheerpluck.de with those criteria. Great place to learn about new stuff. They often list publishers as well.
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny.(Frank Zappa)
Kjetil Heggelund

Postby Sean Eric Howard » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Kjetil, thanks for the info. I'll have to head over there and have a look. Looks like AGAbril has written a new piece not published yet, and I haven't bought a single Jose Luis Turina score yet (I've heard it'll take the enamel off the teeth).
Sean Eric Howard

Postby Toccata » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:43 pm

I like Luis de Pablo's "Fabula"--it sounds very difficult. Cristobal Halffter's Sonata is good too. It's actually Eliot Fisk's transcription of Halffter's Solo Violin Sonata, but Fisk's transcription sounds very idiomatic, if again, frightfully hard to play!
Toccata

Postby Sean Eric Howard » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:17 pm

I'm not much for playing transcriptions, though. Shoot, Cristobal Halffter's Codex I, which is written for guitar, is one of the hallmarks of guitar literature, but rarely played. I'm not familiar at all with Luis de Pablo's Fabula; thanks!
Sean Eric Howard

Postby Sean Eric Howard » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:21 pm

Kjetil Heggelund wrote:I have wanted to play Xavier Pages piece "Tridacna" that I found for free on his homepage. Other than that I suggest you search sheerpluck.de with those criteria. Great place to learn about new stuff. They often list publishers as well.

Kjetil, did you find the score to that piece on the composer's website? All I can find are mp3s; it sounds a lot like Tomas Marco or Jose Luis Turina, but with a bit less bite - like Brotons.

EDIT - I found a site that sells the score.
Sean Eric Howard

Postby Toccata » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:37 pm

Sean Eric Howard wrote:I'm not much for playing transcriptions, though. Shoot, Cristobal Halffter's Codex I, which is written for guitar, is one of the hallmarks of guitar literature, but rarely played. I'm not familiar at all with Luis de Pablo's Fabula; thanks!

Codex 1 is quite a thorny piece. Fabula is a bit less so, or at least less pointillistic. Gabriel Estarellas has a great recording of Fabula. Amazon has some samples from it.
Toccata

Postby Praeludium » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:59 pm

I just discovered two consistent pieces for guitar from major composers of our era (and there's a recording of Fabula on YouTube, by a french guitarist specializing in contemporary repertoire)

Thanks a lot. The contemporary repertoire for guitar is surprisingly huge. We're living in a golden age for the guitar.
Cette dernière trahison m'a été également reprochée. Ce que je trouve à répondre, c'est:"merde aux conventions!"

- Ligeti
Praeludium

Postby Sean Eric Howard » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:00 am

Praeludium wrote:
Thanks a lot. The contemporary repertoire for guitar is surprisingly huge. We're living in a golden age for the guitar.

I agree 100%!
Sean Eric Howard

Postby yotamz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:13 am

Sean Eric Howard wrote:I'm trying to purchase the score to Octavio Vazquez's Prelude and Fugue; it seems to be much more difficult to find contemporary pieces.

I know Octavio and have his Prelude and Fugue. While I like the piece's dark character it is by no means 'Spanish' sounding. I think it has more in common with Koshkin than with Torroba.

Nowadays it seems like flamenco is all the rage in Spain. The players are amazing technically and the compositions are getting pretty adventurous both rhythmically and harmonically. I recommend Jose Manuel Leon's 'Sirimusa' (it's on youtube) for a taste of 'Contemporary Spanish guitar music'.
yotamz

Postby Sean Eric Howard » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:17 pm

yotamz, thanks for the info. I'm not interested in finding "Spanish sounding" pieces. I'm interested to know what new music for guitar is being written in Spain at the moment. I'll look up the Jose Manuel Leon Youtube - thank you.
Sean Eric Howard

Postby yotamz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:43 pm

I see... Well Octavio lives and writes in NYC so his music doesn't qualify either. :lol:

I'm curious to hear your opinion on Sirimusa. Please let me know what you thought.
yotamz

Postby Sean Eric Howard » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:58 pm

It's certainly flamenco in nature, although it strikes my ears as a lot like Ulisses Rocha, one of my favorite guitarists and one of the best on the planet.
Sean Eric Howard

Next

Return to Public Space