Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists, Aches and Pains, Injuries, etc...
Steve Langham

Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Post by Steve Langham » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 am

I've only seen a physio so not a 'proper' doctor but the feelings in my hand are not just normal aches and pains, I had numbness and I have a pretty much constant low level tingle/nerve feeling near the base of my hand near the thumb pad. So doesn't seem like or feel like standard stuff. I also get a bit of a nerve 'shock' in the same spot when I pinch oppose my thumb to grab things.
Whatever it is, it requires a bit of rest so that's what I'm doing for now.
I'll give it another week or so and see how it goes from there. If improvement is slow then I'll go the doctor.

Peterson2

Post by Peterson2 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:57 am

carpal tunnel syndrome is fluid retention in the tunnel, nothing to do with overplaying the guitar. so if you are overweight, or an alcoholic, you might need to lose weight or stop drinking to prevent that fluid buildup. otherwise get the pinhole surgery which opens it up more. I feel the numbing effect in mornings sometimes after a drinking session - when I am driving a car or playing guitar, but by evening it is all fine again.

Mick the Ramirez Man

Post by Mick the Ramirez Man » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:40 am

chesl73 wrote:I've recently been practising quite a lot and on Sunday night I had these strange feelings in my left hand, near the thumb pad, a bit of numbness, tingling and so on - and the symptons are a little better than Sunday today but it's clearly not quite right. I went to see a physio today and she reckons I have carpal tunnel, not an acute case but still...
I bit depressing and frustrating and so looks like my left hand will need plenty of rest at the moment maybe 4 weeks but who knows.

Any thoughts would be great,

Thanks
I thought I'd write to encourage you. Though I don't have Carpal Tunnel, I struggle with deafness and skin cancer on my fingers. I lost my hearing in my right ear overnight 20 years ago and much of my left ear since then. Also, I've had Mohs surgery on my left fingers with skin grafts to deal with skin cancer. Both, make it extremely hard to be a competent Classical Guitarist ... but I am!

When I had the surgery on my left fingers I couldn't even make a simple open chord! I almost cried. I started doing stretching exercises with my left hand and was almost back to normal in a couple of days. I now play better than before the surgery!

The deafness was a great challenge, but I can play. I just require absolute silence to play and practice. Even Segovia required that! :)
Ramirez 4NE, Ramirez R4 and Ramirez R1

Steve Langham

Post by Steve Langham » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:49 am

Mick the Ramirez wrote: I thought I'd write to encourage you. Though I don't have Carpal Tunnel, I struggle with deafness and skin cancer on my fingers. I lost my hearing in my right ear overnight 20 years ago and much of my left ear since then. Also, I've had Mohs surgery on my left fingers with skin grafts to deal with skin cancer. Both, make it extremely hard to be a competent Classical Guitarist ... but I am!

When I had the surgery on my left fingers I couldn't even make a simple open chord! I almost cried. I started doing stretching exercises with my left hand and was almost back to normal in a couple of days. I now play better than before the surgery!

The deafness was a great challenge, but I can play. I just require absolute silence to play and practice. Even Segovia required that! :)
Incredible Mick, my petty little hand problem pales in comparison. My problem is just a small bump in the road I'll get over. Thanks.

bear

Post by bear » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:42 pm

[quote="Jack Dawkins"e]
If there's one thing that makes me sure, it's probably that I have numbness that gets worse at night.[/quote]

Be mindful of the position of your arms when you sleep. If, you sleep with your arms over your head or under your pillow and experience numbness in your hands, make an effort to keep your hands down near your hips and the numbness should stop. If you do experience numbness while sleeping with your hands above your heart, don't do that.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:31 pm

Although I have never had a problem with carpal tunnel syndrome, my husband is prone to have problems with it. He found that wearing wrist braces at night was helpful. He realized that he was bending his wrists as he slept and that aggravated the condition. His hands would be numb and tingly.
His activities of white water kayaking and mountain biking would sometimes cause a flare up . Wearing the wrist braces at night lead to a faster recovery for him.
Not surprisingly for his level of activity, he is quite trim and does not suffer from fluid retention. (Nor is he an alcoholic or eat supplements with lots of creatine). For him, it is that the "tunnel" is tight and if the activity requires his wrist to be bent while gripping something tightly, like kayak paddle or handle bars, then he might have a flare up.
I have a lot of clearance apparently, and have never had a problem even doing the same activities.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

aokoye

Post by aokoye » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:25 am

Honestly I would stop seeking diagnostic help and ideas on the internet (including this forum) and go back and ask your doctor to send you to a physical therapist. That's what's going to have the most potential to help. If that doesn't help then ask to be referred to a orthopedist. The advice on what to and not to play and what exercises to and not to do could very easily be a detriment to you. There's also already some incorrect information floating around this thread so really, go to a doctor who can make a diagnosis, ask for a referral to a physical therapist, do the exercises they have you do, if it doesn't get better ask for an orthopedist.

My body is a bit of an orthopedic mess. I'm saying this from the perspective of having surgeries on my back, knees, and one of my wrists with the wrist being as a result of de quervain's tenosynovitis (which is not carpal tunnel but is a repetitive stress injury which carpal tunnel is as well).

Return to “Ergonomics and Posture for Classical Guitarists”