"Pre-owned"

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
lagartija

Re: "Pre-owned"

Post by lagartija » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:34 am

:idea: ....a guitar that has been previously trained by an expert player!
:lol:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:22 am

zavaletas wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:22 am
This could be fun. What would you propose as a substitute for pre-owned, used, pre-loved (which does sound nasty), how about my ex-, an old ax looking to play new tunes....
How about an unemotional statement about the number of previous owners?

Guitar for sale: one previous owner/player, excellent condition...
Guitar for sale: two previous owners/players, both students, good condition, no dings, some wear on finish...
Guitar for sale: notable luthier, numerous previous owners/collectors (partial list available upon serious request), playable condition, no modern repair-work identified...
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

jayjayrose

Post by jayjayrose » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:38 pm

Personally, I'd rather buy a "used" guitar than a new one. A new one might be a "bespoke" instrument, i.e., made to order, and then you don't know what it is like until you've bought it. On the other hand, the market is full of fabulous guitars that have been well cared for, broken in, and loved. Just because an instrument is "used" doesn't mean it is rejected. People have many reasons for selling their wares. And used guitars have a story that may be important to some folks. I like a little piece of history.

And then there is the possibility of saving some money by getting a used guitar. Not a sure thing, but always possible.
"…that all-pervading talisman of Spanish pleasure, the guitar." -Washington Irving

Genious

Post by Genious » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:01 am

jayjayrose wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:38 pm
Personally, I'd rather buy a "used" guitar than a new one.

And then there is the possibility of saving some money by getting a used guitar. Not a sure thing, but always possible.
I so agree. I look for used before anything new - and the fact that the price will likely be cheaper rarely enters into it. I sound a little new-agey, but the limited number of new guitars I've had felt lifeless - lacking a certain energy.
And any time I used to be in other cities I would seek out the pawn and hock shops (before the internet ruined them with e - b a y, craigslist, etc.) and not bother with the actual music stores that sold new stuff.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:22 am

Second hand, or even pre-owned :shock: sound much better than used. :D

Who wants to play a used guitar? Sounds gross... lol...rhymes with used car!

(btw I own pre-owned classical guitars- already broken in and aged a bit, with a smattering of something else...)

I suppose well kept or well maintained is a pre-requisite for pre-owned, if you get my meaning.

But well used? Eww
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

mannybu

Post by mannybu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:54 pm

It seems that all of you contributors are ready for, at least, a part time career on Madison Avenue. And there is a subtle message sent in the words in the ads, and some of them make some sense. For example, in the annual Winter Coat Drive in NYC, the ad reads something like: Donate your gently used coats...," obviously in hope we do not clog their collection boxes with garbage.

When purchasing other than brand new equipment from large sellers, we can gauge the condition of the item by the asking price of the item 'as is' and comparing it to the price brand new. I have noticed a new wrinkle--the Open Box. This is an item purchased new, but returned during the grace period, and the item could have gone through a rough testing period before being returned; the difference in price will indicate the degree of damage sustained in that process.

In any case, language is living thing, and it is constantly changing. In the meantime, let's appreciate the effort, even if the results make our heads shake in disbelief.

Zen

Post by Zen » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:52 pm

Yes, pre-owned is pretentious, with the exception of a pre-owned unplayed instument, which imparts information about the prior whereabouts of the instrument.
The time between the notes relates the color to the scenes.

granularus

Post by granularus » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:58 am

Conditioned by a local car commercial (with the tagline "Buy a used car, everybody drives one"), I point out that pre-owned and used need not mean the same thing. Most of us buy guitars and play them, so they become used - though admittedly, I have known some people who are more into buying than playing - so some of their guitars end up being pre-owned but new. Cellists and violists like battle-scarred instruments, in my experience, many guitarists do not - and the name doesn't matter.
Masaru Matano Clase 400 (1971)
Masaru Matano Clase 500 (1976)
Ryoji Matsuoka M60 (1976)
Hirade Model 7 (1977)
Guild Classical Mark IV (1980)
Kakuo Yairi H5 (1985)
M. Horabe 35 (1990)
Yamaha GD-10 (1996)
Cordoba Flamenco 45FCE (2006)

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:05 am

Some called them "pre-loved"😁
1980 Yamaha GC30A - BRW/Spruce
2006 Yamaha GC70 - BRW/ Spruce
2015 Sen #5 - BRW/Spruce
2017 LHN - BRW/Spruce

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:25 am

Having watched the documentary, I know for an actual fact that the "God" of modern day electric blues rock guitar, Eric Clapton, was specifically buying used beat up Stratocasters that noone really wanted, to bring back to England. Before they were popular. He believed them to be of more value the more beat up they were. Not collectible value but playable. Of course it didnt hurt that they were cheaper to use and abuse!
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:37 pm

BellyDoc wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:22 am
How about an unemotional statement about the number of previous owners?

Guitar for sale: notable luthier, numerous previous owners/collectors (partial list available upon serious request), playable condition, no modern repair-work identified...
Hey, do I see an "inquire" in there??????

;)

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Gently played in; still looking good!
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Return to “Public Space”