Stairway to Heaven

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Altophile

Re: Stairway to Heaven

Post by Altophile » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:58 pm

One of my old guitar instructors wanted to show me something about Baroque style, and so he played Stairway to Heaven, but, rhythmically, he treated as though it were written by Bach. Maybe that's the way to keep Guitar shops from putting up "No Stairway to Heaven" signs;-)

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:54 am

“Sounds” interesting, can you explain how it could be played like Bach.

Don’t get me wrong I love Bach, but I have been practicing Sorensen Madsen’s arrangement for ages and niece trying to memorize it. I should have started at the first go. He has done a great job, I think. But my abilities certainly slow me down!

Cheers - Alan
Alan Sheppard
1986 630mm Asturias JM-15 Spruce
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R
2015 650mm Yamaha SLG110N

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:36 pm

dory wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:20 am
I refuse to play Lágrima anymore because in my opinion it is Stairway to Heaven overplayed. I did enjoy it when I first learned it, though.
I do not understand the reasoning. Overplayed by you or by others? It seems both can be moderated by self control.

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:40 pm

I only got interested in the piece after listening to Per-Olov, not that it was not new to me, but when I heard him play it I wanted to as well, It was so inviting!

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:58 pm

graceman wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:00 pm
HNLim wrote:Where can I get this music score.
The guitarist Soren madsen has actually made a "classical" arrangement of this I think. You could check his website (search: soren madsen)
Hi Lim,

There have been many more that sell their arrangements of "Stairway", copyright approved or not. To me, many are just copying other artist's arrangements and changing them slightly.

This goes for many paid site, I wonder about the legality of some, seeing Per-Olov will not release his own "Stairway"!

If you know Madsen's piece, his rendition is good, not like the Page or Plant's, but if you listen to Per-Olov's and are able to play Madsen's piece you will see some unique or uncanny parts are in each version, I wonder why?

There is a lot of copyright infringement going on and I can see it. Pieces I buy I find later on other sires exactly the same, even on free sites and I don't mean Public Domain material.

Cheers,

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:36 pm

As someone already mentioned on page 1 of this thread, "Per Olov Kindgren plays the Stairway to Heaven classical guitar version arranged by Stan Ayeroff."

Maybe that explains why Kindgren didn't publish it????

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:54 pm

Good point and it is my point all along!

Whose music is whose? Did I spell that right?

Did Per-Olov categorically play Stan’s Ayeroff’s exact version or a version similar, fine line sometimes, as I have been saying!

“Who or what came first the chicken or the egg”?

Cheers,

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:59 pm

Altophile wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:58 pm
One of my old guitar instructors wanted to show me something about Baroque style, and so he played Stairway to Heaven, but, rhythmically, he treated as though it were written by Bach. Maybe that's the way to keep Guitar shops from putting up "No Stairway to Heaven" signs;-)
Altophile,

Any chance of giving us something to shoe how your teacher treated the original Stairway to make it like Baroque?

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:10 am

ashepps wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:59 pm
Altophile wrote:
Altophile,

Any chance of giving us something to shoe how your teacher treated the original Stairway to make it like Baroque?

Alan
Well, that was 25 years ago, and at this point all I can say is that he restructured the rhythm to correspond to the Baroque period. Sorry, I wish I could be more specific.

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:22 am

Altophile wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:10 am
ashepps wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:59 pm
Altophile wrote:
Altophile, Any chance of giving us something to shoe how your teacher treated the original Stairway to make it like Baroque? Alan
Well, that was 25 years ago, and at this point all I can say is that he restructured the rhythm to correspond to the Baroque period. Sorry, I wish I could be more specific.
No problem, 25 years ago it would be hard, just thanks for responding at least that issue is out of the way!

Cheers - Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

barnux

Post by barnux » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:43 pm

I started with Lagrima and Adelita. I got sick of both of them, but recently started playing them with the correct feel and now actually like them again. I think learning to play both is easy, learning to play both correctly is actually difficult in my opinion.

Someone mentioned Cavatina - that is another one that is hard to play correctly!

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:48 am

Many people probably don't want to hear anymore about Stairway to Heaven anymore, but I was out of guitar for 35 years and somehow I missed this one in my early years.

I now have Stan Ayeroff's version in notes only. At first glance it seems similar to my copy of Soren Madsen's except Madsen's has a lot of chord strumming. I hope to be able go through Ayeroff's and compare it with Madsen's. I am going to try to tab Ayeroff's, but this will be a lot of work for me!

Someone did say that Shawn Murray's YouTube version was good and I did like it, however all the pieces have their differences. I now have Madsen's version in my repertoire, but I had tabs as well as the notes to use as my sight reading is poor.

Can anyone else give an opinion on Ayeroff's or Murray's compared to Kindgren's rendition? I really like Kindgren's and would purchase if I could?

Kindgren's just seems the best to me, but I am not great musically. As well, he still does not have his copyright! This I can't understand when there seems to be numerous "legal sellers" of Stairway to Heaven out there!

Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:19 pm

I never did learn Stairway to Heaven and have been the rocker pariah among all my rockers friend for several decades. :D

I did learn Hot Rod Lincoln, Been a long Time, I want You She's So Heavy, Can't Get Enough of Your Love, and countless others. And yet, I am a pariah for not knowing Stairway... :D I can play Free Bird, so that should count for something! :D

In keeping with theme of this thread, heavens dude, learn any Carcassi, Sor, Guilliani, etc - any/all of those compositions are "rights of passage" like Stairway is for rockers. Or Narvaez Differencias Sobre de Guardame las Vacas. Bach's Bouree. Jeez - too many to list without creating a novel. :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

ashepps

Post by ashepps » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:16 pm

Thanks for replying Andrew,

I know what you are saying, but Stairway is one of only a few very popular pieces or whatever you want to call it, that I truly liked, once I had a taste of Kindgren's video! I was hooked, whether it was overplayed, disliked or just terrible arrangements of which I found many.

I also did not have your abilities, that is when I was in my early 20s. In fact I never finished many of my pieces. But, I do have some that I can rely on.

As I said I was and am a poor sight reader that was slowing me down dramatically, then I quit because of an upper back spasm due somehow to the guitar. Now I am in my 60s and I start over without problems except for the sight reading, glad to have lots of tabs.

Stairway is a piece that I really liked, that's all, now I am trying to find a slightly better version of it other than Soren Madsen's. It was not all due to Madsen's strumming arrangement so much, instead I should have said that the ending was "lost in space" other than that it was not bad.

I spent some time last night on YouTube and found a similar version to my Madsen's with tab/notes, but with a much better ending.

I think my work is done! :)

Cheers - Alan
Alan Sheppard
1955 650mm Framus SL-32R

Return to “Public Space”